So I've been hearing rumours that since i'm not elligible for a hardware upgrade, I won't be able to pay full price and get the torch on thursday.

Does anybody have any info about this?
    09-27-10 01:02 AM
    Don't think that's true.
    You can buy the phone outright if you can't upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-27-10 01:04 AM
    Don't think that's true.
    You can buy the phone outright if you can't upgrade.

I asked Rogers and best buy on Sep.24. both of them won't let me buy the phone outright first few weeks after the phone released, because they may not have enough stocks for me. all of them are selling the phone with 3 years contracts if you want one.

I hope this is not true, because I really want to grab one without contract.

Or if anyone know where can I buy the phone outright in Vancouver. Please let me know.

09-27-10 02:56 AM
    I just had a quick look on kijiji and there are a few there for $850 and one for $800, unlocked.. but a bit too steep if you ask me.
    09-27-10 03:26 AM
    Best Buy also told me no, I cannot buy it outright.
    09-27-10 08:44 AM
    Buy it on Ebay! There are so many!!! and some unlocked too .
    09-27-10 08:49 AM
    Call Rogers, tell them your situation and ask how you should go about buying this phone. They can deny customers the option to buy it. They may tell you that you'll need to renew your contract and if that's the case, you should ask them what kind of discount you'll be receiving for doing so.
    09-27-10 09:00 AM
    Buy it from Bell and unlock it!
    09-27-10 09:03 AM
    Telus said the reason they delayed was to build up more stock...so I'm thinking you can upgrade.
    09-27-10 09:16 AM
    Buy it from Bell and unlock it!
    Will i still have warranty?
    09-28-10 01:42 AM
    A Telus manager told me yesterday that it may be activations only and no outright purchases.
    09-28-10 09:33 AM
    A Telus manager told me yesterday that it may be activations only and no outright purchases.
    I second this, Telus are steering towards activation only sales, they're beginning to rip down outright prices and the HTC Desire is unavailable at outright now and they'll probably do this with the Milestone 2 and whatever else they get soon. This may have to do with either one of the two things: huge sales on high end device (Desire) and little to no sale on anything else or they're trying to retain contracted customers (they gained alotin Q2 but are losing a whole lot in the past month or two).
    09-28-10 09:54 AM
    Will i still have warranty?
    You should but I could be wrong. The downside is that you pay for unlocking it and then a warranty issue comes up and they give you another phone. Doh!

You can unlock for as low as a few bucks though.
    09-28-10 11:20 AM
    Doesn't cost much to unlock it nowadays on the otherhand I can see the carriers being strict on selling the phone outright.
    09-28-10 11:32 AM
    But if you buy a torch on bell or telus, wouldn't it not have 3G access on rogers even if you unlock it? I was under the impression that they run under different frequencies?

I was going to try going to futureshop to pick it up, mostly because a lot of their employees work on commission, so they may be willing to sell it just to get some commission versus none? Not sure if it would work, anyone have any ideas on that plan?
    09-29-10 07:54 AM
    But if you buy a torch on bell or telus, wouldn't it not have 3G access on rogers even if you unlock it? I was under the impression that they run under different frequencies?

I was going to try going to futureshop to pick it up, mostly because a lot of their employees work on commission, so they may be willing to sell it just to get some commission versus none? Not sure if it would work, anyone have any ideas on that plan?
    Rogers, Bell and Telus all use the same 3G bands and the phones, once unlocked can be used on any network
    09-29-10 07:57 AM

The 9800 is has good frequency range and will run on all 3 carriers. � No problems. Enjoy!
    09-29-10 07:59 AM
    Rogers, Bell and Telus all use the same 3G bands and the phones, once unlocked can be used on any network
    The 9800 is has good frequency range and will run on all 3 carriers. � No problems. Enjoy!
    Sweet! thanks

Just FYI, you can order the torch off the roger's website without a contract - at least it appears so, wonder how long it would take to ship though!
    09-29-10 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD