Hi I am running .448 on my Rogers Torch. I have my connection set up to Wifi-preferred. However, I can tell that my browser and sometimes even apps would only run on BIS thru Rogers even though my Wifi is on!

This is increasingly frustrating and any help would be appreciated!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-11 02:47 PM
    What apps are exhibiting this behavior? Do they consistently only operate over BIS? If so, it's possible that that is the only way they can operate, that is, they aren't designed to use wifi.
    06-24-11 03:18 PM
    BB Twitter app, Weathereye, App World? I tried this out, turned my mobile connection off but kept Wifi on and the apps will tell me there is no data connection. Same goes for browser.

06-24-11 03:56 PM
    I think this is apples vs. oranges. WiFi is the connection to the network vs. Mobile Network (cellular).

BIS is the service connecting email and other BB services.

For email, and other services/applications, you need to connect to BIS regardless whether it's over WiFi or Mobile Network.

You can verify which connection by looking in the Service Status.
    06-24-11 03:57 PM
    BB Twitter app, Weathereye, App World? I tried this out, turned my mobile connection off but kept Wifi on and the apps will tell me there is no data connection. Same goes for browser.

Ah. FWIW, my BB browser, App World and even BBM still works with my mobile network turned off.

As Jeff said above, some apps are written to check for a mobile connection and won't recognize a "wifi only".
    06-24-11 04:05 PM
    Sorry I wasn't being clear. I have BIS either way. But my phone won't connect to BIS thru Wifi even though I have it set up to Wifi-preferred. Point being if I were to lose my mobile network connection (Rogers) in my basement, I lose data altogether, even though my phone is still connected to my wireless router. And if I were to be connected to both mobile network and wifi, it doesn't actually connect to BIS thru wifi and it uses data from Rogers, ie uses data from my data plan.

Just wondering if anyone has the same problem and if anyone has a solution.

Thanks for all the reply so far.

06-24-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD