How do set it up that my BB chooses Wifi first than my Data plan? I figured this on my wife's 9300 but can't find it on my 9810. I"m total newb to OS 7. Coming from Storm 9530 OS 5 lol...
    In changing to 9810 I had to give up my old unlimited plan and only have a 1 gb plan now so need to be wise at how I use it.
    12-26-11 10:39 AM
    If connected to WIFI then your phone will always use that as the preferred protocol. There is no setting for it, been that way since OS6.
    DEADF15H likes this.
    12-26-11 11:45 AM
    thanks..... is this true even for emails, BBM and text messages. I'm trust trying to figure out some things. I have had this BB for 4 days now and basically have been at home all the time with the phone or at work which has wireless as well. I checked my usage and there's still some data charges that I'm trying to figure out where they came from.
    12-26-11 01:03 PM
    Sorry quick question. How did you check your data plan to see how much you've used is it a company thing or were able to check it on your phone? Thanks in advance
    12-26-11 05:06 PM
    There will be data usage when you are off your wifi the BB consistently checks emails.

As for checking data use its carrier specific I know for at&t we can check online or dial
    *DATA#
    12-26-11 10:44 PM
    thanks..... is this true even for emails, BBM and text messages. I'm trust trying to figure out some things. I have had this BB for 4 days now and basically have been at home all the time with the phone or at work which has wireless as well. I checked my usage and there's still some data charges that I'm trying to figure out where they came from.
    ALWAYS.
    Your BB will do three things to tell you it is using data, I think this is in OS7. You will see the BB symbol) like the one to the left of your trackpad/ball in the top right corner of the screen next to your 3G service.

Your 3G service will display next to your bars will be just that, 3G in CAPS. Or EDGE or GSM. I guess Verizon/Sprint use EVO. While in CAPS, data is being used, while not no data is connected. You will see edge or 3g, so that means your data is off and you need to turn it on.

While on WIFI, your 3G data connection will then go away, and you will just see a WIFI symbol. That shows you are on WIFI
    12-27-11 12:25 AM
    ALWAYS.
    Your BB will do three things to tell you it is using data, I think this is in OS7. You will see the BB symbol) like the one to the left of your trackpad/ball in the top right corner of the screen next to your 3G service.

Your 3G service will display next to your bars will be just that, 3G in CAPS. Or EDGE or GSM. I guess Verizon/Sprint use EVO. While in CAPS, data is being used, while not no data is connected. You will see edge or 3g, so that means your data is off and you need to turn it on.

While on WIFI, your 3G data connection will then go away, and you will just see a WIFI symbol. That shows you are on WIFI
    Ummm... NO

If your device doesn't show any of your carriers signal symbols(H+, 3G, EDGE), then your not connected to your carrier(cant make phone calls). One of the easiest way to tell what protocol your using for data is the BIS icon(the 4 dots). If it is next to the wifi signal meter, then your using wifi for data. If it is next to your carriers signal symbol, then your on mobile data.

As far as the minimal data usage your seeing on your carriers bill, I would guess it would be while your going to work. The BB is constantly using data depending on what apps you have installed and what apps your using and what refresh rates you have them set to.

Only way to stop this usage would be to turn data services off while you travel to work and are off wifi.
    Cap20 and DEADF15H like this.
    12-27-11 06:23 AM
    If it is next to the wifi signal meter, then your using wifi for data. If it is next to your carriers signal symbol, then your on mobile data.
    Hey homer1475, that's good information there, thanks, I didn't know that.
    12-27-11 06:58 AM
    If connected to WIFI then your phone will always use that as the preferred protocol. There is no setting for it, been that way since OS6.
    not true.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...-issue-673955/
    12-27-11 11:09 AM
    you can also check under Service Status at the BIS Connection should say Wi-Fi
    12-29-11 09:28 AM
    Ah, this is THE thread I've been looking for. Very useful info for me, just have to see if my data continues to increase even with the WiFi.
    12-30-11 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD