Hi I am new to the BlackBerry, this is my first one. I am on O2-UK. The BB connects to my Wifi router with no problem. The trouble is that if I use the browser or any other programme that connects to the internet it will use the phone and not the wifi. I have tried turning off the data on the phone connection with the wifi active. If I then try to access the internet I get the message 'cannot connect to the internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
    07-08-11 02:30 PM
    How do you know it's using the phones data and not wifi?

If your connected to wifi the BIS icon(4 dots) should move over to the wifi indicator. You can also check this by pressing the connection icon and from that menu choose "Service Status". If on that page you see BIS(blackberry Internet Service) says WIFI, you are infact using your wifi for any data. If it says mobile network, then you are using your mobile data.

If connected to wifi the torch will use that over your mobile data as the preferred method of data transmission. Some apps require you to set them up to use wifi or they will always use your mobile data, but native things like the browser, BBM, twitter, ect, will always use the wifi if connected.
    painswick likes this.
    07-08-11 05:32 PM
    Many thanks for your reply. A lot of useful information there.
    Something was strange. Using the built in browser, the main program I use at the moment, the BIS icon did not move to WIFI and on checking the status the BIS did not say WIFI when accessing the BBC news site.
    Today there has been a software upgrade to 6.0.0.600 and everything works fine again
    07-09-11 09:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD