You've got it all wrong.

Many people have trashed the Torch saying that the processor is too slow. But, no one has explained how the "slow" processor translates into bad performance. The point of this thread is that it doesn't - the processor is fast enough for everything that we need to do.

The truth is that engineering is about making choices. Right now, a faster processor can harm battery life. Even Apple knows this - its processors are supposedly rated at 1Ghz but run at some slower, unidentified speed. Why? Because Apple knows that faster is not always better. For a phone, it is more important to get through a day without needing a charge than it is to have extra speed that is not really needed.
    I guess that I took it the wrong way. Had not had my first cup of coffee and I guess reading the thread title set me off since I have seen so many trolling threads start with the same title. I agree that the processor speed is in the eye of the beholder which in my case, I don't believe that the performance is hampered by the 624Mhz processor. Hopefully, a future device with an OS that can run a 1Ghz processor and still have optimal battery life will be developed.
    09-13-10 09:58 AM
    Try my local news site. I just founf that the full site will hose the device until its loaded. Which takes a while. That has to be processor based

Connecticut Breaking News, Weather and Traffic | WTNH.com and go to full site

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 10:06 AM
    I read a good explanation on why the browser is slower on occasion: "Regardless, there’s just no getting around the fact that the Torch does load pages slower than the competition, but the reason is ironic - it’s slower because of time spent waiting for content to be compressed and sent down over BlackBerry internet services. Watching the Tx and Rx indicators on the Torch and taking some times down, it’s obvious that on average, about 10 seconds is spent waiting for the first real page data to load. This is entirely just overhead time spent waiting for BlackBerry’s servers to load the page, compress images and data, and then send it down. "

I read that in the link in this post: Anandtech Review: VERY Comprehensive
    (I don't know why it won't let me post the entire link without shortening and causing error but if you put this: http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ then add this: anandtech-review-very-comprehensive-523368/ you'll get there. :-D )

I have not noticed any time when the processor speed slows me down... love this device!
    Last edited by gritsinct; 09-13-10 at 10:31 AM.
    09-13-10 10:10 AM
    The Torch's processor is 'too slow' for the same reason most people think a 12MP point and shoot camera will take better pictures than my 7MP DSLR. They have bought into the numbers game, without LEARNING about how those numbers are managed.
    09-13-10 10:30 AM
    The Torch is fine for everything just as the 9000 or 9700 are, that is for what we love to use them, almost everything.
    Concerning better battery life on 9700 vs. 9000, Bold 9700 features a newer version of the Bold 9000's processor running at the same speed. Newer means few enhancements and a die shrink...more energy efficient. Nothing to do with the OS.

Where the Torch lacks of processor speed is for video recording (bad quality, low bitrate, SD resolution).
    Where the screen lacks of resolution is when surfing over the internet where, with its big screen when compared to Bold or Curve, it should provide the same excellent ppi for better full-page view.

Appart from that, I have no complaint against the Torch.
    09-13-10 11:11 AM
    The Torch's processor is 'too slow' for the same reason most people think a 12MP point and shoot camera will take better pictures than my 7MP DSLR. They have bought into the numbers game, without LEARNING about how those numbers are managed.

You really want to compare the performance of a 624mhz processor with no gpu, to a 1ghz processor with a dedicated gpu (which all 1ghz android phones have)?
    09-13-10 11:16 AM
    Check out this user poll :

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ne...and-up-524197/

Based on these very real user reactions it does seem the Torch was slow out of the gate. It also appears .214 speeded it up a lot. Sorry, I closed the poll after a week so the numbers don't factor in the .214 upgrade.

- R.
    09-13-10 11:17 AM
    The efficiency of a 624mhz processor is based on the architecture of the device, not on the simple fact that it's a smaller number. I could have a 3ghz processor, but if it's not efficient at what it does, it's not worth a hill of beans now is it? This discrepancy is partially why Apple changed architecture formats when it came to their Macs, they were getting nailed by the typical consumer that saw a slower processor speed, and smaller hard drive size, when in fact they were just as robust and efficient as the x86 architecture of the standard PC. I've had my Torch for a little over a week so far and think I've only seen the hourglass once in all that time and that was after installing apps that required a restart. So far the darned thing has been flawless for me and while I loved my Curve 8310, there's no way I'd want to go back to it.
    h

09-13-10 11:27 AM
    For me the hourglass is so rare now. I hardly ever see it and am not sure I've seen it since first rebooting my phone after installing .214.
    That's great to hear

09-13-10 01:37 PM
    My BB Torch says it's running 6.0 Bundle 278 (v6.0.0.141, Platform 6.4.0.64) and it's *sloooow*. This phone has so much potential, but the slowness ruins it for me. It just seems that it takes a lot of time to respond to simple actions.

When I go to the Check for Updates screen, it says that I'm using the latest version. Is this the latest official version? What's the latest leaked version? Is it 6.0.0.214 and does it help with the slowness?

My Javelin had a crappy OS but it responded to my actions quite quickly. An official update from RIM should be released ASAP, I'd think. This is ridiculous.
    09-13-10 03:57 PM
    My BB Torch says it's running 6.0 Bundle 278 (v6.0.0.141, Platform 6.4.0.64) and it's *sloooow*. This phone has so much potential, but the slowness ruins it for me. It just seems that it takes a lot of time to respond to simple actions.

When I go to the Check for Updates screen, it says that I'm using the latest version. Is this the latest official version? What's the latest leaked version? Is it 6.0.0.214 and does it help with the slowness?

My Javelin had a crappy OS but it responded to my actions quite quickly. An official update from RIM should be released ASAP, I'd think. This is ridiculous.
    .214 will speed things up for you big time. It did for me but then again .141 was never "slow"for me.

09-13-10 04:04 PM
    Check out this user poll :

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/ne...and-up-524197/

Based on these very real user reactions it does seem the Torch was slow out of the gate. It also appears .214 speeded it up a lot. Sorry, I closed the poll after a week so the numbers don't factor in the .214 upgrade.

- R.
    Interesting. I see that 34% of the users reported that they were faster than the Torch. The remaining 66% felt that the Torch was much faster, a bit faster, or equal to the user. In this poll, of those who answered, it seems that 66% of the users felt that the device was equal to them.
    Could you explain where you see that users reported that it was slow out of the gate?
    For me, it's perfectly appropriate.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-13-10 at 04:30 PM.
    09-13-10 04:27 PM

Get .225 - it's the latest and greatest - it's the same as .214 but with a few bug fixes - it's a lot faster and many people who have been on the fence about keeping the device have tried it and loved it! Check my signature for links!
    09-13-10 05:06 PM
    The way I see it is RIM is going with what they know on releasing a cellphone that is truly out of the box for them.... I mean come on this phone has a touchscreen, keyboard (on top of that a slider) and they are trying to improve on Media as well... so why shouldn't they go with specs they know before they start throwing excess processor, ram and so on into the picture.

RIM trying to compete spec wise with this phone could hurt them. You don't see NASA or somebody like them upgrading to the best thing out there as soon as its released... unless something has changed they still have a lot of stuff running on x486 processors because they know those items inside and out and know how they run in the field.
    09-13-10 05:50 PM
    iphone 4 runs at 800Mhz if i'm not mistaken.
    Except it's running a much newer, more efficient processor (like every other high end smartphone) that gets up to 50% more performance per MHz.

Realistically the iPhone 4 is more than twice as fast (CPU wise) as the Torch. Let's not even get into the fact that the Torch doesn't have a GPU...
    09-13-10 06:14 PM
    Who honestly cares anymore. The Torch has been awesome since .214. That's all I care about. The device is fast with a browser that will get better. I couldn't care less that the cpu is slower than the iPhone 4. All I care about is a phone with a great signal and call quality and is very reliable. I still haven't had a dropped call or call failed with the Torch. I love the Torch. Best phone I have used. If I want to dl games and movies I will watch it on my LED TV. For any music I have the Torch is great. Streams perfectly in my SUV. The Torch does exactly what it is supposed to do. Be a phone first.

09-13-10 06:33 PM
    Interesting. I see that 34% of the users reported that they were faster than the Torch. The remaining 66% felt that the Torch was much faster, a bit faster, or equal to the user. In this poll, of those who answered, it seems that 66% of the users felt that the device was equal to them.
    Could you explain where you see that users reported that it was slow out of the gate?
    For me, it's perfectly appropriate.
    Good catch. I think some early .214 adopters made it in there under the wire. When I last looked at the poll results late last week it was 85+% reporting the Torch was slower than them. .214 seems to make a real difference.

I made my comments based on results from late last week. Should have rechecked before posting today. Sorry about that.

- R.
    09-13-10 06:56 PM
    Good catch. I think some early .214 adopters made it in there under the wire. When I last looked at the poll results late last week it was 85+% reporting the Torch was slower than them. .214 seems to make a real difference.

I made my comments based on results from late last week. Should have rechecked before posting today. Sorry about that.

- R.

No problem. I was wondering whether I'd lost brain cells today!!!
    09-13-10 07:20 PM
    In comparison to other devices obviously, the 9800's is slow. Especially considering most are at the same price point. All devices have their issues from time to time. The 9800 isn't a super slow device. However, it isn't remotely close to the fastest. Ever load m.crackberry.com on the i4 & 9800?? The I4 is there and done before the 9800's loading bar gets half way. Ever pinch to zoom on the 9800?? Notice the lag while waiting on the device to refocus?? The i4, Samsung S, D X don't have that lag.

There aren't many areas where you can really notice lots of lag on the 9800, but let's not act as if it's not there. It is. I do not however believe it affects 95% of everyday functions. Only a couple of specific things. The 9800 would definitely benefit from a faster processor. It would actually put it up there on top with a faster processor & higher resolution screen. But there is nothing about the 9800 that makes it not-usable. It functions perfectly fine for everyday tasks. There's just a couple things it could do better at. But as always, that goes for ALL devices...
    09-13-10 07:35 PM
    Oh, and I will thank my "techie friend" again for the speed rating scale. It definitely helped to "quantify the subjective experience".

The reality is that it's not just what you have, it's what you do with it that really counts (no snide comments please!). The challenge is developing a common reference model for what that means.

- R.
    09-13-10 07:37 PM
    Get .225 - it's the latest and greatest - it's the same as .214 but with a few bug fixes - it's a lot faster and many people who have been on the fence about keeping the device have tried it and loved it! Check my signature for links!
    Thanks, I'll try it. What's going on with RIM? Why aren't they releasing an update quicker? It's barely useable as far as I'm concerned. It's really annoying and it's probably hurting them a lot.
    09-13-10 07:50 PM
    Thanks, I'll try it. What's going on with RIM? Why aren't they releasing an update quicker? It's barely useable as far as I'm concerned. It's really annoying and it's probably hurting them a lot.
    I believe .214 HAS gone official now, and .225 is the latest leaked version. You must be new to RIM cuz this is how it usually gets done. Multiple leaked versions get tested out before they officially make it happen. I'm sure that if alot of stores are still demo'ing a non-.214 version, then it very well could be hurting their sales, as .214 has clearly turned the phone into a great one.

Your best bet is to become a regular to this site, and always keep your eyes open for the latest and greatest leaked versions to become available, and either test them out for yourself, or see what others think before you try it. Eventually the leaks will slow to a trickle, and if your always just waiting for RIM to make it "official" your potentially missing out.

Most people i know, whether they have BB's, iP's, or any other type of phone don't even know about updates etc. They just toil along with problems on the phone until they get a new one. If i mention to someone that i'm running a hybrid OS on my phone, they give me that "deer in the headlights" look, and i just laugh.
    09-13-10 08:05 PM
    i just did an update yesterday from .141 to .214..
    and now this... i need to keep up.
    09-13-10 08:07 PM
    RIM DOES NOT RELEASE FIRMWARE UPDATES... Your CARRIER does. RIM is constantly developing it's Operating System and constantly puts new versions up for Carrier Partners to test. It is the responsibility of the CARRIER to test, certify, & release the firmware update to THEIR customers.
    09-13-10 08:13 PM
    I believe .214 HAS gone official now, and .225 is the latest leaked version. You must be new to RIM cuz this is how it usually gets done. Multiple leaked versions get tested out before they officially make it happen. I'm sure that if alot of stores are still demo'ing a non-.214 version, then it very well could be hurting their sales, as .214 has clearly turned the phone into a great one.

Your best bet is to become a regular to this site, and always keep your eyes open for the latest and greatest leaked versions to become available, and either test them out for yourself, or see what others think before you try it. Eventually the leaks will slow to a trickle, and if your always just waiting for RIM to make it "official" your potentially missing out.

Most people i know, whether they have BB's, iP's, or any other type of phone don't even know about updates etc. They just toil along with problems on the phone until they get a new one. If i mention to someone that i'm running a hybrid OS on my phone, they give me that "deer in the headlights" look, and i just laugh.
    Thanks for the tip.

RIM DOES NOT RELEASE FIRMWARE UPDATES... Your CARRIER does. RIM is constantly developing it's Operating System and constantly puts new versions up for Carrier Partners to test. It is the responsibility of the CARRIER to test, certify, & release the firmware update to THEIR customers.
    That's good to know. My carrier sucks then. I will be doing updates myself from now on, I hope it fixes the slowness. Thanks!
    09-13-10 11:24 PM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD