It is very fast at everything to me. I was at the AT&T store today. On .214, web pages loaded just as fast (sometimes faster, sometimes slower) than did the Captivate, which I compared it to directly (one in each hand).

Tell me what the Torch is too slow at doing and where it would benefit from a faster processor. Please be specific.
    09-12-10 03:37 PM
    I think it is more the fact that it is the same processor as the 9700/9000 that bothers some people more than anything else. Maybe its disappointment cause they were expecting something completely new (processor/screen res) .Without saying anything negative about the phone, they should have put some new hardware on this phone just to "please" a bigger crowd. Some people buy phones according to spec sheets, others will buy what they like and works for them.
    That's the way it is. No matter what they release (RIM) ,people will always find something to complain about, im no different.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-12-10 03:58 PM
    I'm on the side that buys what I like. If it does what I want and need, and if it feels right in my hand, it's in my purse.
    Take battery - same on the 9000 as in the 9700. Yet the difference in the OS made the battery doubly efficient on the 9700. Specs wise, same battery. In practice, vastly increased performance on the 9700.
    Then there is the fact that there are people who need to feel validated for the choices they make and feel compelled to criticise others' decisions. And then they're driven to convince you that you don't like what you like.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 09-12-10 at 04:16 PM.
    09-12-10 04:13 PM
    Most people do not care what processor is in the phone - it's either good enough or not. The tech-blog guys want people to think just because it doesn't have all the latest and greatest that it can't be any good.

The BB OS has much better optimization than others and so can run quite well on a middle-of-the-pack processor.

I also find very few situations were I think a better processor would be useful.
    09-12-10 04:15 PM
    So you say the torch was running .214 on display in an att store?
    09-12-10 04:15 PM
    After reading the post, I was wondering the same thing.

And I think the Torch is fine. It suits me for my needs.
    09-12-10 04:19 PM
    I am the type of person that buys things for his needs. I try not to let specs bother me. I try out the product and if it does the things I need it to do, I"m happy.

Loving my torch. Love the captivate too, for the things that it does. Also don't hate the iphone. Still love my torch more than everything
    09-12-10 04:31 PM
    I am the type of person that buys things for his needs. I try not to let specs bother me. I try out the product and if it does the things I need it to do, I"m happy.

Loving my torch. Love the captivate too, for the things that it does. Also don't hate the iphone. Still love my torch more than everything
    Same here. And I don't hate apple products as well.
    If I was in the market for a Macbook Pro today. I will still get the 2008 model for the keyboards. Those who owns a Macbook Pro will know what I mean.

09-12-10 04:47 PM
    No. My phone is running .214.

So far no one has an answer to my question.
    09-12-10 05:11 PM
    I find Torch extremely responsive in all things I do including video streaming and music...The only thing I don't use Torch for is playing graphic intensive games. Perhaps that's the area a faster processor plays out well but I don't play games so no educated comments.

In the end I think it is a perception issue more than facts. Torch as is is extremely responsive and a productive phone doing all it is supposed to do. But in the market where competitors are rolling out state of the art screen technology and high clock speed processor Torch on the surface look eating dusts. But what matter most to me is Torch is my best phone I have ever used and it suits all my needs perfectly. It is responsive, the screen is solid, the keyboard is solid..the design is solid. I Love my Torch.

09-12-10 10:23 PM
    simplest answer.. 1Ghz is faster than 624 Mhz.
    and everybody is doing sheet/specs racing..
    real world application, the phone is just fine.

Nokia is releasing a new phone the N8 this quarter..
    guess what? it has 624 Mhz as well... so everyone's gonna comment it's slow..
    09-12-10 11:58 PM
    I admittedly wish the phone had a faster processor, but only so that the browser would have a bit more kick loading pages. But that boost in speed is definitely not worth the extra battery drain.

Overall it does what it has to do and it does so quickly without killing your battery life.
    09-13-10 04:24 AM
    the specs on smartphones are overblown. the way people change phones i dont know why they complain so much about the torch... it might be 'slow and steady' but compared to the iphone it wins the race as a phone.

can't say im ready to commit to buying the iphone as my all in one mp3 player and games machine... there goes your batteries and the control scheme sucks. No wonder it's predicted to have a declining market share up until 2014 - needs more buttons

I think they need to focus more on the OS, its what differentiates itself more than the hardware itself - that's always going to be much easier to catch up and the main reason I want a blackberry. the Nintendo 3DS comes later :P
    09-13-10 05:48 AM
    How well the processor functions is up to the person who decides to buy it. I would rather have a slower processor that meets my needs and better battery life. No offense is intended but this topic has been beaten to death. If you don't like the processor and are still wondering why RIM did not use a 1 Ghz processor, the I wonder what your true motives are. Please stop living in the past and move to the more technical forums on this site. Moreover, IMHO, the thread title is a bit inflammatory.

09-13-10 06:27 AM
    How well the processor functions is up to the person who decides to buy it. I would rather have a slower processor that meets my needs and better battery life. No offense is intended but this topic has been beaten to death. If you don't like the processor and are still wondering why RIM did not use a 1 Ghz processor, the I wonder what your true motives are. Please stop living in the past and move to the more technical forums on this site. Moreover, IMHO, the thread title is a bit inflammatory.

You've got it all wrong.

Many people have trashed the Torch saying that the processor is too slow. But, no one has explained how the "slow" processor translates into bad performance. The point of this thread is that it doesn't - the processor is fast enough for everything that we need to do.

The truth is that engineering is about making choices. Right now, a faster processor can harm battery life. Even Apple knows this - its processors are supposedly rated at 1Ghz but run at some slower, unidentified speed. Why? Because Apple knows that faster is not always better. For a phone, it is more important to get through a day without needing a charge than it is to have extra speed that is not really needed.
    09-13-10 07:07 AM
    No. My phone is running .214.

So far no one has an answer to my question.
    My guess is that the bbs are set up for running business and communicating type apps and not really ment for all the video n gaming and using the smaller processor will run these types of apps just fine and can probably save on battery life at the same time ,.....

They just make it to where it will play videos and games just as a pass time not really a phone for entertainment purpose

That being said you might think well what about the web browser , I think it is a bit slower than the competition ,,I downloaded opera mini and bolt browser to my phone and tested them next to a iphone and they both beat the iphones safari by 5 or 6 seconds ............now all the talk about the processor being slow I think that it all depends on what type of apps you are running .

So the os 6 can probably run a lot of apps just a fast on a 624 mhz processor as the others can on a 1ghz
    Some apps will run slow on the 1ghz too

Its a you like chevy I like ford kinda deal.

09-13-10 07:20 AM
    iphone 4 runs at 800Mhz if i'm not mistaken.
    09-13-10 07:21 AM
    i agree with you. ive had the torch for about a month now and really like it. Its a huge upgrade from my 9700.

the lag people talk about is really very minimal, its a split second and it doesnt happen often. i think some people get confused about the perceived way the menus scroll from side to side as a 'lag' but its the way its meant to be. its supposed to hold still for the first small fraction of the swipe so its not constantly jittering from side to side everytime you tap the screen and your finger slides a minute amount.

there is a lag sometimes when scrolling through a website, but its minimal.

would i like to see a faster processor? yes. would i like to see a larger, high-res screen? maybe, if it meant I didnt have to constantly worry about charging my phone.

its all a balancing act, and im very happy with the torch.

the one place the torch is a clear cut loser is the app department. the volume of apps apple has vs what rim has is staggering. i dont think ri will ever catch up to apple on this front, but rims communication, and physical keyboard keep me on board.
    09-13-10 07:30 AM
    That being said you might think well what about the web browser , I think it is a bit slower than the competition.
    I don't think so anymore. I don't know if it is the .214 upgrade or if RIM made some adjustments or improvements to how they handle web traffic. But, my Torch was as fast as the Captivate that I compared it to yesterday. This was with both on 3G.
    09-13-10 07:37 AM
    Like it has mentioned above it's not that the processor is too slow. It may just seem to slow to what some consumers want to use their phone for. It's also that not everyone has a chance to try out products before they buy them, combine that with less than stellar reviews, and it not having all the bugs fixed before it's release-not having .214. And you get that perception.

I for one use specs first when comparing something I want to buy whether it's a phone, tv, computer or a car...then if possible I compare the items, if not I rely on reviews.

The specs help weed out the obvious things like showing me what they do and don't have but I leave the subjective things up to the review.

Most consumers don't go this far, most want the best (numbers wise) and brightest of anything, so yes if they read that the torch has only a 624mhz and the droids and iphone have a 1ghz, some reviews mentioned there was a hint of lag, and very few commented on the pros of the phone...well that pretty much does it for most consumers. Even if the phone doesn't have the things they need

I myself had two droid phones the aria(which also only has a 6xxmhz processor btw) and a captivate. Speed wise there was no real difference in day to day functions between any of them(internet, video, music, email text etc), the captivate seemed to load some media intense things slightly quicker...but thats what the phone was designed for....

Which leads me to my main point, the processor isn't too slow for what the phone is designed to do. RIMs main objective is still to make phones for business pros and has designed one that does that but also caters to those who want the some media features. And by doing this it attracts some people who wouldn't consider a blackberry at all(which brings about all the comparisons) -just look at most of their marketing- the commercial with the people in the office getting on a roller coaster in the elevator-what the message there? You can have you work phone and still have fun with it too. They never claimed to make the ultimate multi-media device, those are a different market that rim knows is would loose it's core consumer with if it went for. Apple and all the droid phones have that covered.

I only got the droids because my htc tilt 2 was crushed and I wasn't sold on the 9700, I had also gotten used to having a touch screen(abet a poor one) with my old phone. The aria was too small for my hands to not have a physical keyboard, had bad call quality and the battery was dead before 6pm just doing the basics (calls, text, work email). The captivate was better to type on but the call quality was still horrible and battery life wasn't much better. I didn't even consider the iphone since it's not insurable and after crushing my last one without insurance and having to by my next outright I knew I'd never go with out it on a $500+ phone again. I heard about the torch and it was released the day before my 30days was up so I played with one for about 10min, read every review I could find and made the leap.

I'm completely satisfied with the phone it does everything I need it to do for work, plus throws in some fun features to boot. I don't use a ton of apps(didn't on the droid either) because while some of them are "neat" that's about all they are. As a business pro I carry a lap top with me all day long so if I want to watch a video I watch it on there, if I want to play games it's on there too. Its neat to be able to do these things on my torch but I don't want to watch a video on a 3-4in screen for more than a minute.

That's what I've never gotten about all the trolling and bashing of other phones. We have a free market so consumers can pick and chooses the things they buy to meet their personal needs not someone elses. If I needed a phone to play games on and watch movies with then I'd buy the one that did that best. But I don't I need one to handle my work needs effectively, has great call quality, and can stay charged all day between long calls and lots of emails, has a physical keyboard so I can type legible and grammatically correct emails and texts to my colleagues and still lets me log into my facebook account to check what stupid things my old college buddies have posted. The Torch does this all easily.

So to answer you question, no it's not to slow and no I haven't found any areas where it isn't up to par for what I use my phone for. This question is subjective to the phone user though so I think it should be changed to:

What do you use your phone for and does the torch meet your needs. That would give you a better understanding of what people think and weed out all the minimalist responses.

just my .02
    09-13-10 07:55 AM
    Do you guys still get the hourglass?

09-13-10 08:05 AM
    just my .02
    Great post!
    09-13-10 09:04 AM
    At the end of the day, its just a blackberry with touch screen and a keyboard...oh and new OS, thats not good enough for a blackberry fan?
    Like really, you gonna use 50+ apps right in a single day, while playing a game on it and switching back to watch your movie. It is, what it is....if its too slow take the torch back, everyone complains....you'll never be satisfied. Never.
    09-13-10 09:23 AM
    More multitasking of apps. And video playback would benefit from a fast processor

09-13-10 09:56 AM
    Do you guys still get the hourglass?
    For me the hourglass is so rare now. I hardly ever see it and am not sure I've seen it since first rebooting my phone after installing .214.
    09-13-10 09:57 AM
53 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD