I have had my current BB Curve 8900 since Feb. 09 and absolutely love it. I am running OS 4.6 and do not like OS 5 do to the lack of standby via the mute key and threaded sms texting. Anyway I have thought for a while its time to upgrade my BB. Its starting to lag and become somewhat sluggish. Yes I did upgrade to OS 5 and it was no better.

What I want to know is would upgrading to AT&T's Torch be worth it? I am currently with T-Mobile and have no contract. The 8900 I have lacks 3G something I want but even T-Mobile's 3G network is slow and or not up to date. I am considering the Torch because it has Touch something I would like to have plus a QWERTY keyboard which is mandatory for me. OS 6 looks quite promising based upon the reviews I have seen. I can get use to threaded texting and the elimination of the standby via mute key.

I am also considering the BOLD 9700 because I am use to that form factor. The BOLD 9700 seems to have received excellent reviews but is nearly a year old. I don't know what to do. I was thinking of getting the BOLD and perhaps wait for a Torch 2 to come out. The TORCH should offer a better processor and higher res. display. The TORCH'S form factor seems like it can take some getting use to?

Can anyone guide me in the right direction? I think its time for a new BB but I am a little confused on which one to get. All have pros and cons. Hopefully someone out there had the 8900 for T-Mobile and now has the TORCH or BOLD 9700 through AT&T.

Beloved BB User
    09-18-10 10:23 AM
    I too have an 8900 and am in the same quandary....I like the processor, screen resolution and physical screen size of the 9800 but don't know if I can get used to working without shortcuts rather than menus & icons......I played with a 9800 at the ATT store a couple of weeks ago and came away very disappointed. I disable dialing from the home screen (who wouldn't) so I can use the plethora of shortcuts available. To me......these shortcuts are the essence of a BB. One stroke provides me with instant access to tasks, calendar, email composition, address book, browser, BerryWeather, keyboard lock, memos, etc., etc. After using all the BB phones I have owned with these capabilities.....I'm not sure I want to go back to a menu or icons. Sure....the 9800 has shortcuts within a subsystem like the browser or calendar but I'm not referring to those shortcuts. I am leaning towards the 9700 even though it has older technology. I guess what I'm saying is that if it doesn't have the ability to disable dialing from the home screen (thereby enabling shortcuts).....I'm not interested. Granted I may have not given the 9800 enough time.....and maybe the all-important shortcuts I'm referring to are there.....but I also felt really clumsy around the touch screen......I kept bumping it accidentally and had to start from scratch......oh well.....at least there is an upgrade path from the 8900.
    09-18-10 10:47 AM
    Don't forget the 9780 is suppose to be released soon. It's basically the 9700 with added specs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-18-10 10:57 AM
    The 9800 has the same homescreen shortcuts as any othe blackberry. You just disable universal search at the homescreen (same thing as disabling dial from homescreen). Universal search is still there but will now act as an app and you'll have all your shortcuts instead.

09-18-10 10:57 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I just hope others can convince us because I think overall its an excellent upgrade for Curve/Bold 9700 users. I remember it took me forever to accommodate to my Curve 8900. Part of me also thinks would it better to wait for a Torch 2? One with better hardware?
    09-18-10 10:58 AM
    cant go wrong with 9700.....great battery life,form factor and eligible for os 6.....or you could wait for 9780...512 memory os 6 and keyboard no touch screen
    09-18-10 10:58 AM
    cant go wrong with 9700.....great battery life,form factor and eligible for os 6.....or you could wait for 9780...512 memory os 6 and keyboard no touch screen
    I can probably see myself waiting for the Bold 9870. Looks like its due out next month.
    Last edited by MattMJB0188; 09-18-10 at 11:12 AM.
    09-18-10 11:06 AM
    Anyone know who will get the 9870 first? AT&T or T-Mobile? Release date?
    09-18-10 11:12 AM
    I came from an 8900 to the Torch and I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

First off if your on a blackberry forget about the need for 3G, as all the info has to go through BIS servers anyway. Another thing is, the for factor is such a bug change, the phone is heavy, make no mistake.

Since most BB users aren't media buffs, the whole media upgrades aren't so nessisary for me, but it is nice. Don't get me wrong though, even video I have on the phone still lags. So for the form factor I wish they went with better specs, as this is clearly not sufficient when compared to other phones.

Again back to the form factor, the mute and lock buttons are horrible, just awfully sensitive, its always turning the screen on when you place it in your pocket, I don't know what they were thinking but this is a very serious deterent, not only that but the buttons aren't flush like the 8900. I absolutely hate this to death and will be the reason I ditch this phone. Idk wtf they were thinking removing the standby mode, thus wifi and all radios are constantly always active..idiots.

Another thing is the phone doesn't feel like something that you pay 500 bucks for. Very plastic, and squeeky sounds on various parts of the phone when you press on it. Honestly felt like I've been scammed in a sense, but whatever, I have it unlocked and could sell it with ease.

I want to go for a 9780, but who knows when its coming. If you ask me stick to the 8900 for now. I wrote this whole message on the 9800, and let me tell you the keyboard didn't do much to aid in not giving me near cramps in my hand.

09-18-10 01:55 PM
    I'm not sure I did the right thing as well .

I liked the 8900 , I'm not sure about the torch yet . its only been a few day however ...........

The screen lock is a pain for me and others here . I'm sure there will be something soon to fix this .

The build Quality is fine . I like a heavier phone so the weight isn't an issue for me .

Again still playing with this and if I dont like it , I'll just give this phone to the kid and take back the 89 ! What kid wouldn't want the latest and greatest ??!?!?!?
    09-18-10 02:18 PM
    You have 30 days to try the Torch and/or AT&T's service, use it. but it sounds like you would love a 9780. That being said, I came from the 9700 to the Torch and love it. I doubt I could go back to a non-touch or OS5 BB without daily heartbreak and cursing.

PS - Ignore kills comment about "don't worry about 3G cuz yer using a BIS server". There's a HUGE difference in 3G/Edge speeds on AT&T, BIS or no BIS.

09-18-10 02:35 PM
    You have 30 days to try the Torch and/or AT&T's service, use it. but it sounds like you would love a 9780. That being said, I came from the 9700 to the Torch and love it. I doubt I could go back to a non-touch or OS5 BB without daily heartbreak and cursing.

PS - Ignore kills comment about "don't worry about 3G cuz yer using a BIS server". There's a HUGE difference in 3G/Edge speeds on AT&T, BIS or no BIS.

Thanks to everyone for your opinions. The reason I want the Torch is for the processor and eternal storage/memory. The new OS looks a lot more intuitive. Knowing that all these features will be available in a BOLD is reason enough for me to hold off until then. I can pass on the TOUCH screen.

There isn't too much out there on the 9780 but looks like it will come out sometime next month so I can definitely wait. Only thing is AT&T is currently offering free activation and overnight shipping with a new 2yr contract.

I know you have 30 days so does that mean if I were in my 30 days lets say with the BOLD 9700 and the 9780 came out could I return the 9700 for the 9780? I don't know how that would work. Thanks
    09-18-10 03:04 PM
    Do you think going from iphone 3g to Torch would be better? I had the storm with verizon and loved it but like the touch screen/slide keyboard function and of course the closest att store is 45 min away from me so I cant just go and pick one up.

Dont get me wrong I love the Iphone but missin the crack and my contract is up in June so I have time to decide but from the you tube reviews looks pretty good to me.
    09-18-10 03:21 PM
    Suggestion: If you can, go to your nearest AT&T store and play with one. They should have Bold 9700s and Torch 9800s, and probably a Curve for comparison. Then, if you decide you like it, go to Amazon and buy one for $99. The only way to get it for that price is with a brandy-new AT&T plan. Amazon will do all the leg work to get your existing number transferred to a new AT&T phone.

I'm also coming from the OP's favorite form factor -- a Bold 9000, and a Curve before that. I'm not big into gaming, and even less into multi-media. All I wanted was a bigger screen and a more robust browser than the Bold; but I also wanted a physical keyboard, which is why I didn't go with a Storm (or iPhone or Captivate). Also, after two BB phones, I've gotten very comfortable with BB's OS and UI; between that and the slide-out keyboard, the Torch would have to have been a total POS for me to go to something else.

I've only had mine for a couple of days now, but I'm very happy with it. It's all that I expected, I don't find it underpowered at all, and the VGA resolution is good enough for a display this size. For me, I'm pretty sure it'll be a keeper.
    09-18-10 04:48 PM
    I have had my current BB Curve 8900 since Feb. 09 and absolutely love it. I am running OS 4.6 and do not like OS 5 do to the lack of standby via the mute key and threaded sms texting. Anyway I have thought for a while its time to upgrade my BB. Its starting to lag and become somewhat sluggish. Yes I did upgrade to OS 5 and it was no better.

Beloved BB User
    stay where you are right now..
    if you didn't like OS 5 you won't like OS 6.
    and changing carriers for a phone is simply ridiculous..
    look at all those people who went with AT&T for the iphones
    09-18-10 04:54 PM
    Do you think going from iphone 3g to Torch would be better? I had the storm with verizon and loved it but like the touch screen/slide keyboard function and of course the closest att store is 45 min away from me so I cant just go and pick one up.

Dont get me wrong I love the Iphone but missin the crack and my contract is up in June so I have time to decide but from the you tube reviews looks pretty good to me.
    My wife has an iPHone 3Gs, so I've been able to do a little comparing. The Torch's reactivity to swiping gestures isn't quite as instantaneous as the iPhone's, nor do the screen animations (sliding, zooming, etc.) seem to be as smooth; depending on how long you've had your iPhone, you mind find that disappointing on the Torch. For me it works just fine. Also, BB doesn't come anywhere close to Apple for the number of apps available (10,000 for BB vs. over 250,000 for Apple).

On the other hand, I find the iPhone to be much buggier than I'd expect from Apple. Seems like something gets hosed up every time she gets a software upgrade for it. One upgrade reset all her email server settings; another one deleted all her calendar entries; the last one made it partially incompatible with her car's iPod interface. I've never had any of those kinds of issues with a BB. I also find BB's email and messaging to be miles ahead of Apple (and I've heard similar opinions about BB vs. Androids).

Also, as I mentioned in a previous post, with a new AT&T contract you can get a Torch from Amazon for $99. If you miss your BB that much, you gotta do it!
    09-18-10 04:59 PM
    Looks like quite a bit of money can be saved through amazon. Is that like the same as doing it through AT&T's site? The number can definitely be transfered through amazon's way?

The BOLD 9700 is only $49.99 on amazon, really not bad.
    09-18-10 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD