01-21-11 07:21 AM
30 12
tools
    I don't post very often so be nice. I smell something rotten with VZW on the delay of Monaco. I have 4 blackberries on plans that have been grandfather for over 5 years. I don't remember the original plan name but it is nationwide and when I am in Northern Wisconsin these 4 phone say they are roaming and have signals and can make calls. My kidís blackberries on the new plans can only make emergency calls. In addition I have unlimited txt in and out VZW. Every couple of years I can get new blackberries by just renewing the grand fathered plans. If I ever change to a newer plan I would loose all of these great items. I have been asking my VZW corporate contact when a new Blackberry touch screen is coming out. In late October he told me after the first of the year a new touch screen device was coming out. It is and it is called the Iphone. Now he is saying that if you want a new touch screen device you can get the Iphone because the new Blackberry touch screen isn't coming out until late summer and oh by the way if I switch to the Blackberry I have to switch all of the phone to the new Iphone plan and it does not have real unlimited data or texting like my grand fathered plans. My thoughts are that they are intentionally delaying the Monaco so long that many of us give up and switch to the new Iphone and convert to new plans that are more lucrative to VZW.
    01-20-11 07:23 PM
    Crackcookie - look at VZW's LTE launch. It is in most major cities. And they are going from like 40 markets now to over 120 by the end of 2011. 4g on vzw is nationwide now, and will be pretty prevelant by year end. I love these argurments because if you all think there is no need for 4g now then there is really no need for 3g on att. The coverage areas are fairly close. I don't think all monaco's should be LTE but is they have a version on vzw it pretty much has to be, especially if it is in Sept.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Agreed. An August or September release .... Would have to be LTE capable. No smartphone released that late in the year will be only 3G.

01-20-11 10:33 PM
    I don't post very often so be nice. I smell something rotten with VZW on the delay of Monaco. I have 4 blackberries on plans that have been grandfather for over 5 years. I don't remember the original plan name but it is nationwide and when I am in Northern Wisconsin these 4 phone say they are roaming and have signals and can make calls. My kid’s blackberries on the new plans can only make emergency calls. In addition I have unlimited txt in and out VZW.
    That is one heck of a nice deal. If you roam off your UK network (even from O2-UK to O2-Ireland, I read the T&Cs) your unlimited texts get charged. For Ireland, if you're on O2-UK and roam on O2-Ireland, it's 20p a text. Otherwise, I believe it's £1.50 a text. You say you got unlimited texts? If you're away from O2-UK signal, you can forget those unlimited texts. Unlimited data? 500MB actually. Although the prevalence of free WiFi helps to lessen the burden of the such restrictive data usage. Oh yeah, let's not forget: no tethering, no p2p software (understandable), no streaming of content (so forget YouTube). Our companies restrict it because they can. All the 4 major carriers do it, the smaller carriers run off the back of the 4 major ones (like Tesco Mobile is a virtual phone operator running through the O2 signal). So if they do offer this true unlimited data or allow streaming, the big company they run from can just cut them off. And we get eye-watering overage charges. £3/MB.

Every couple of years I can get new blackberries by just renewing the grand fathered plans. If I ever change to a newer plan I would loose all of these great items. I have been asking my VZW corporate contact when a new Blackberry touch screen is coming out. In late October he told me after the first of the year a new touch screen device was coming out. It is and it is called the Iphone.
    Don't know the US logistics. Hopefully my above comment proves why.

Now he is saying that if you want a new touch screen device you can get the Iphone because the new Blackberry touch screen isn't coming out until late summer and oh by the way if I switch to the Blackberry I have to switch all of the phone to the new Iphone plan and it does not have real unlimited data or texting like my grand fathered plans. My thoughts are that they are intentionally delaying the Monaco so long that many of us give up and switch to the new Iphone and convert to new plans that are more lucrative to VZW.
    To me, that sounds reasonable. VZW is a company, they need to make money. What bewilders me though is, if they wanted to get people on the iPhone from the touch BB, why didn't they just refuse point blank to stock the Monaco like they did with the Storm2 Refresh?
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 01-20-11 at 11:10 PM.
    01-20-11 11:07 PM
    To me, that sounds reasonable. VZW is a company, they need to make money. What bewilders me though is, if they wanted to get people on the iPhone from the touch BB, why didn't they just refuse point blank to stock the Monaco like they did with the Storm2 Refresh?
    Heh, who is to say they still won't? Maybe that is why all the leaked specs we have seen do not include a cdma version yet... "just in case"

If RIM drags its feet on the S3 in typical fashion resulting in a final product that is so far behind what the other big dogs are releasing, they very well say "thanks but no thanks. We are gonna pass on this crap. Get back to us when you are ready to release something that can compete."

01-21-11 05:44 AM
    I don't post very often so be nice. I smell something rotten with VZW on the delay of Monaco. I have 4 blackberries on plans that have been grandfather for over 5 years. I don't remember the original plan name but it is nationwide and when I am in Northern Wisconsin these 4 phone say they are roaming and have signals and can make calls. My kidís blackberries on the new plans can only qpmmake emergency calls. In addition I have unlimited txt in and out VZW. Every couple of years I can get new blackberries by just renewing the grand fathered plans. If I ever change to a newer plan I would loose all of these great items. I have been asking my VZW corporate contact when a new Blackberry touch screen is coming out. In late October he told me after the first of the year a new touch screen device was coming out. It is and it is called the Iphone. Now he is saying that if you want a new touch screen device you can get the Iphone because the new Blackberry touch screen isn't coming out until late summer and oh by the way if I switch to the Blackberry I have to switch all of the phone to the new Iphone plan and it does not have real unlimited data or texting like my grand fathered plans. My thoughts are that they are intentionally delaying the Monaco so long that many of us give up and switch to the new Iphone and convert to new plans that are more lucrative to VZW.
    You should talk.to a.different rep. I had beuen out of contract for over a year and just signed a new one a few days ago. My new plan has unlimited data, testing and the minutes are about the same. The new plan is also cheaper. The new phones get a stronger signal in more places.

01-21-11 07:21 AM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD