I was watching Kevin's hand on video of the 9800 posted on Crackberry. When he hits the YouTube icon to launch the mobile site, it is clearly the old version of YouTube mobile, not the HTML5 version which was just recently released. Why is this the case? I thought the new WebKit browser would allow for this functionality.

I was really hoping it would be supported since I find the new HTML5 version of the site (one my iPhone) better than the dedicated YouTube app.

Any thoughts why it's reverting to the old mobile site???
    08-03-10 07:15 PM
    Apple doesn't believe in flash, they like HTML. Hence why that's the only thing they support. As for the BlackBerry Platform, along with Android, they're going the Adobe route...
    08-03-10 07:17 PM
    idk I was thinking about that too, the html 5 version is so smooth
    08-03-10 07:17 PM
    Apple doesn't believe in flash, they like HTML. Hence why that's the only thing they support. As for the BlackBerry Platform, along with Android, they're going the Adobe route...
    CX i hate to distrust your judgment, because you're probably one of the few people on here who actually know what they're talking about

but anyways, whats the developer slide shown yesterday that said something about HTML5 rendering?
    08-03-10 07:18 PM
    CX i hate to distrust your judgment, because you're probably one of the few people on here who actually know what they're talking about

but anyways, whats the developer slide shown yesterday that said something about HTML5 rendering?
    i do believe that the 9800's HTML5 rendering is better than the iPhone..

-EDIT-
    Oh and you can probably just go to touch.youtube.com
    or whatever it is and get it to work.
    08-03-10 07:21 PM
    Because YouTube's phonist.

Or they haven't updated it yet, as the pre-production models listed the browser as APPLE_WEBKIT or something like that. When it finally gets released Google'll probably update their site.
    08-03-10 07:22 PM

Yes, I also thought I saw a slide which mentioned HTML5 support. And despite Android going the Adobe route, the new HTML5 version of YouTube mobile does work on Andoird devices. At least accoring to the Youtube intro video when the new site was released....see below.

08-03-10 07:22 PM
    Android currently supports the HTML5 site

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-10 08:32 PM
    Android currently supports the HTML5 site

One of the reviews I read mentioned that HTML5 video is not supported. Html5, but not video specifically. It's a shame. The basic YouTube site sucks and vid quality is garbage.

08-06-10 11:01 PM
    The Blackberry Webkit browser doesn't support the HTML5 video tag.. thats probably the most likely reason
    11-10-10 10:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD