10-20-10 10:22 PM
52 123
tools
    Hey everyone, I love my new Torch but it always bothers me when I use other peoples phones, mainly iPhone 4, that their phones just run soo smooth.

Like switching between menu pages, and just general usage of the phone and applications.

I was just wondering if this is the fault of the slower processor or the software. And if it is the software would it be safe to say that it will run smoother with future updates?
    10-18-10 12:46 PM
    Thats a good question. I have noticed the same with all of my friends iPhone 4's.

I believe its a combination of the slower processor but mainly the Software.
    10-18-10 12:50 PM
    What OS version are you running. I have .246 and i'm happy with its smoothness.

A faster processor would probably help, but at the sacrifice of battery life. I will agree that the iPhone4 is smoother than the Torch when it comes to transitions and what not, but I don't think it's a big enough difference to call the Torch sluggish.

Also the Torch does true multitasking which can lead to more choppiness since you have multiple things running in the background.

The phone will probably get smoother as more OS updates are released/leaked.

Overall I'm very satisfied at how smooth my Torch is
    10-18-10 12:55 PM
    It as of now could be a combination of both. I think as time goes on, you will see OS updates that are coded better to run with the processing power of the torch. If you want firsthand proof for yourself, pick up a storm 1 running the first release os 4.7.0.65 I think it was and then after spending some time with it, load up the latest 5.0 and see the difference. It was not perfect, but the progress made should show you that even a slower processor is capable of running an OS smooth if the coding is great. The main thing that limited the storm was really the amount of free memory, but to say that the torch processor is sufficient is not good enough for me. I think a stronger processor would benefit the phone (does not have to be running full strength ALL the time). It would give the OS developers a bit of a break, but who knows maybe that will make em lazy! Lol.

All-in-all, I think the phone will get better with OS updates over time and there is still a lot of potential that can be brought out of this phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by Thanontos; 10-18-10 at 01:00 PM.
    10-18-10 12:57 PM
    Both of my kids use iphone 4's and there is no question that the software runs smoother. The problem is I just cant juse them. I need a keyboard and like blackberry's whole interface much better. That being said my torch is extremely smooth and if I imagine for a moment that I never tried an iphone, I would not even dream of complaining about its speed or anything else.
    10-18-10 01:18 PM
    I am using the most recent update, .246 and I agree that if it were not for me having used an iPhone 4 I would not complain at all about its speed/responsiveness. But I cant help but think how much of an incredible experience they could make this phone if it actually did run with the same smoothness as an iP4.

Something I just tried right now is switching through the menu screens using the Trackpad and it is oddly enough extremely smooth, nearly the same smoothness of an iPhone 4!!!! Try it out, this is at least giving me hope that it is then just the touch software because then hopefully it is just some software tweaking that would result in greater fluidity.
    10-18-10 01:34 PM
    Remember, this is the first generation of this phone and brand new OS. Things will get better with time.

10-18-10 01:40 PM
    The browser experience is much improved in OS .246 versus OS .141 but I find the comparisons to the i4 laughable as the devices are so different in this regard.
    10-18-10 05:45 PM
    My Torch runs smoothly. It's running 6.0.0.246.

10-18-10 05:48 PM
    The browser experience is much improved in OS .246 versus OS .141 but I find the comparisons to the i4 laughable as the devices are so different in this regard.
    Care to elaborate why you think the OP is laughable?

10-18-10 06:01 PM
    Has anyone else noticed a distinct difference when flipping through menu pages with touch screen and with the trackpad?
    10-18-10 06:04 PM
    I have also noticed that flipping/gliding through my phone with the trackpad seems to work much better/smoother than with the touchscreen. Perhaps this OS is more based off the trackpad, and hasn't fully had the touchscreen integration built in yet?
    10-18-10 06:39 PM
    I simply remind myself, as the other poster did, of my Storm 1 and its original 4.XX OS and then finally upgrading to a 5.xx hybrid right before the Torch. I expected 6.0 to run like 5.0 with some neat perks but it's much improved.

I can't wait for OS upgrades. 246 is getting boring

10-18-10 06:41 PM
    I also am reminding myself that my Storm 9530 wasn't the greatest before the upgrades, but at that time there were more leaks for the 9530 than ever. So far there has only been one leak for the 9800 that I know of, and I'm running it as an official from my carrier (Telus).

I'm getting the spinning icon at least 4 out of 5 times I use my phone. It even pops up when I try to hit send on BBM, or my personal favorite when I close the slider....
    10-18-10 06:51 PM
    Sounds like a different problem, not the OS revision...

Most everyone on here never mentions problems like those on .246.
    10-18-10 06:53 PM
    I use the trackpad most of the times. Especially if I know I'll be typing. Even when the keyboard is closed. Using the trackpad, the phone is Fast.

10-18-10 06:53 PM
    I think the bigger difference is not in the CPU but in the presence of a GPU. The iPhone's Core Animation library uses the GPU to hardware accelerate operations. For a variety of reasons, mostly relating to load and scheduling, animation done on the CPU will never be as smooth as on a GPU. The PXA 930 chip that RIM uses in all their current GSM/UMTS phones doesn't have a GPU in it; this is also why the Torch doesn't have 3D games. RIM's current CDMA chips do have a GPU, which is why you see OpenGL games for them. Given that RIM's OS has to be cross platform I don't think they use the GPU even for system animations on CDMA phones, but I'm not sure about that.
    10-18-10 07:07 PM
    I have also noticed that flipping/gliding through my phone with the trackpad seems to work much better/smoother than with the touchscreen. Perhaps this OS is more based off the trackpad, and hasn't fully had the touchscreen integration built in yet?
    This is what I'm hoping for, it does seem that for everything you can use the trackpad for it does it faster and smoother than if you were to do the same with the touchscreen.
    10-18-10 07:18 PM
    I think the bigger difference is not in the CPU but in the presence of a GPU. The iPhone's Core Animation library uses the GPU to hardware accelerate operations. For a variety of reasons, mostly relating to load and scheduling, animation done on the CPU will never be as smooth as on a GPU. The PXA 930 chip that RIM uses in all their current GSM/UMTS phones doesn't have a GPU in it; this is also why the Torch doesn't have 3D games. RIM's current CDMA chips do have a GPU, which is why you see OpenGL games for them. Given that RIM's OS has to be cross platform I don't think they use the GPU even for system animations on CDMA phones, but I'm not sure about that.
    I just had a chuckle at your signature "Yes, I live in Waterloo. No, I don't work for RIM."...I bet you know someone who does work there, lol

Re the thread, I think the Torch TS operation is nice and smooth. My kids have iTouch 3rd Gen's and there's not much difference IMO.
    10-18-10 07:46 PM
    Interesting that there would be a noticable difference.
    10-18-10 08:32 PM
    Interesting that there would be a noticable difference.
    My torch runs pretty smooth. Although it is not as smooth as the iphone or the evo it is still a smooth phone for me. Although I can still find ways to freeze these phones too

10-18-10 11:00 PM
    I just had a chuckle at your signature "Yes, I live in Waterloo. No, I don't work for RIM."...I bet you know someone who does work there, lol
    Someone? More like several people. They just about own this city.

Don't have to know RIM people to get info about them though. Torch was the first device in two years that hadn't seen prior to release. RIM employees use them in public as a part of testing, just need to ride transit or sit in a cafe and be observant. Still haven't seen a PlayBook, though I know people that have used them. I refrain from leaking anything major though, I might apply for a job at RIM some day, I work in technology.

I think the touchscreen/trackpad difference is from the animation speed. When I switch between panes on the homescreen the animation goes much faster if I use the trackpad. It means fewer animation steps, and less noticeable if one does lag.
    10-19-10 03:08 AM
    This is my first trip since I got the Torch. I usually travel with my little netbook in addition to my Blackberry because of how painful the browsing experience was. For this trip, I'm only carrying my Torch and my work 9650.
    I find the Torch to be responsive and fluid, I don't find any choppiness at all. It's seeing me through a full day with all I do, including more browsing than I have ever done in a Blackberry.
    Pages render smoothly and quickly, transitions from pages and menus is smooth. No, it does not exceed the iPhone 4's Safari, but this phone is performing quite fast and smoothly.
    I'm very, very pleased. Can't wait to see how it develops.

10-19-10 06:06 AM
    My torch runs even smoother with .246 installed.
    10-19-10 02:45 PM
    The iPhone is a toy with a phone built in, you can't compare the two.

My Torch is running smooth with OS below in my sig.
    10-19-10 03:55 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD