The iPhone is a toy with a phone built in, you can't compare the two.

My Torch is running smooth with OS below in my sig.
    Yes and what an amazing phone and toy the iPhone 4 is
    10-19-10 03:27 PM
    The iPhone is a toy with a phone built in, you can't compare the two.

My Torch is running smooth with OS below in my sig.
    iPhone is a toy. I guess if you just repeat that over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, somehow that makes it true?
    10-19-10 03:33 PM
    Aren't we comparing an OS (BBOS) that actually multi-tasks and a slower CPU versus an OS (iOS) that pretends to multi-task and a faster CPU?
    10-19-10 03:45 PM
    Aren't we comparing an OS (BBOS) that actually multi-tasks and a slower CPU versus an OS (iOS) that pretends to multi-task and a faster CPU?

Prepare for incoming thread derail..
    10-19-10 03:56 PM
    I shrunk the OS and I believe that sped it considerably. Never get the spinning clock.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 09:32 PM
    iPhone is a toy. I guess if you just repeat that over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, somehow that makes it true?
    How right you are!
    It is so much of a toy that I just got another one through an upgrade and flogged it off to another sucker lol. That was the third one I found a sucker for and I am still loving my Torch!
    10-19-10 11:19 PM
    Doesn't make it true .... It just is true.

To be quite honest a friend of mine at work has the IP4, and Ive played with it some. I see no difference in speed(other then the web) compared to my torch, menu changes are just as fast, app loading is just as fast, and so on. Now I'm not one to worry about retinal burning display, but i don't really see a huge difference between the 2 displays(kinda like comparing a normal display to an HD display, to me and my eyes there's not much difference.). It all comes down to personal preference.

Either you love the torch and BB for what it is, or you have a droid or IP4, or some other device.

Can't we just stop all this bickering between other device owners and bb owners? We love our BB's for what they do and do well not what everyone else wishes they did. After owning several BB's, I've come to realize that BB ownership is a special niche. Either you love them or hate them, there's usually no in between. They are all smartphones. Some just do some things better then the others. It's all personal preference and what you want out of your device.
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-20-10 at 07:11 AM.
    10-20-10 07:08 AM
    I guess its a fair statement to make that the torch is slow at browsing, rendering pages and viewing photos.

I was using iphone 3G before Torch and I'm pretty sure that website renders faster and zooming photos is miles faster despite having similar, if not slower hardware.

Point is there's room for RIM to improve on the OS and hopefully they are looking into it.

I see no harm in having a more polished user experience on top of bberry excellent capabilities as a communivation tool.

10-20-10 09:25 AM
    I guess its a fair statement to make that the torch is slow at browsing, rendering pages and viewing photos.

I was using iphone 3G before Torch and I'm pretty sure that website renders faster and zooming photos is miles faster despite having similar, if not slower hardware.

Point is there's room for RIM to improve on the OS and hopefully they are looking into it.

I see no harm in having a more polished user experience on top of bberry excellent capabilities as a communivation tool.

That would be due to the fact that RIM is using a 2 year old processor in the 9800.

I could have gotten around the lower resolution screen, but the build quality and processor really just turned me off to the Torch (former much more of a problem than the latter for me). I kept my i4 and not because I really loved it. I tried to make the 9800 work for me, but its shortcomings were something I just could not get on board with.

Hopefully by the time they refresh the Torch they will have worked out the kinks that exist with the device right now. That and they have to do something about the sync issues with DM for OS X.
    10-20-10 09:36 AM

Slow at browsing compared to what? Viewing photos compared to what? Against top of the line Androids and iPhone 4 I could agree with the "slower" browser..but we're talking a couple seconds maybe. Against you're 3G..i highly doubt it.

I'll agree with this..as there is always room for improvement with any company. Unless you're Steve Job's..he's perfect and it's everyone else who must conform.
    10-20-10 09:38 AM
    Slow at browsing compared to what? Viewing photos compared to what? Against top of the line Androids and iPhone 4 I could agree with the "slower" browser..but we're talking a couple seconds maybe. Against you're 3G..i highly doubt it.
    I really wouldn't make this stuff up. I've ditched my iPhone 3G for the Torch & I love other aspects of this phone, besides browsing & viewing photos.

Easiest way is to see is how slow Torch zooms in a photo in gallery. It takes like 5 whole seconds to zoom in! Say all you want about apple but even with subpar 3G hardware (effectively similar to 1st gen alu hardware) they got that part of the UI spot on.

I'm quite certain it's the OS & not the hardware being the limiting factor here. Just hope that RIM could iron in out in the next update. That will make me love my phone even more =)
    10-20-10 09:56 AM
    What OS version are you running. I have .246 and i'm happy with its smoothness.

A faster processor would probably help, but at the sacrifice of battery life. I will agree that the iPhone4 is smoother than the Torch when it comes to transitions and what not, but I don't think it's a big enough difference to call the Torch sluggish.

Also the Torch does true multitasking which can lead to more choppiness since you have multiple things running in the background.

The phone will probably get smoother as more OS updates are released/leaked.

Overall I'm very satisfied at how smooth my Torch is
    Bang on.

I find the whole Torch experience very satisfying.
    10-20-10 10:21 AM
    I really wouldn't make this stuff up. I've ditched my iPhone 3G for the Torch & I love other aspects of this phone, besides browsing & viewing photos.

Easiest way is to see is how slow Torch zooms in a photo in gallery. It takes like 5 whole seconds to zoom in! Say all you want about apple but even with subpar 3G hardware (effectively similar to 1st gen alu hardware) they got that part of the UI spot on.

I'm quite certain it's the OS & not the hardware being the limiting factor here. Just hope that RIM could iron in out in the next update. That will make me love my phone even more =)
    My Torch must have different hardware than yours because all my photos zoom instantaneously. And if 2 year old hardware is pulling that off flawlessly, more power to RIM.

10-20-10 10:23 AM
    Hello........ is there a ESPN app for the Torch. When @ work i need to check on the game and using the browser takes to long.
    10-20-10 10:36 AM
    It's not as smooth now, nor will it ever be. That's just a fact.
    10-20-10 10:37 AM

At least you got your pictures up at all. Most of mine you had to zoom in really far to get it to display anything and then slowly zoom out. Didn't matter if it was pictures taken on the Torch, taken on other phones and sent via MMS, or transferred from a computer.
    10-20-10 10:43 AM
    It's not as smooth now, nor will it ever be. That's just a fact.
    It's also a FACT that Tucker is a fanboy

10-20-10 10:54 AM
    I purchased the Torch right when it was launched here on Sept. 30 but I just recently traded with someone for an iPhone 4. The primary reason was because of the lag, I just couldn't stand it, I will be getting the torch again but I'm going to wait until they fine tune the firmware.

It was very annoying to take a picture and it gives you the delete button the screen and it won't respond, also once you take the picture it takes forever to process. The second reason was screen responsiveness is not even comparable, I can type on the iphones screen as fast as I typed on on the torch's physical keyboard. With the Torch I was primarily using the touch screen. One thing though is the iphone's battery is not as good as the Torch's but the RF is pretty much the same, regardless of what people say about the iPhone's antenna issues.
    10-20-10 11:08 AM
    It's also a FACT that Tucker is a fanboy

It's also a fact that you're clearly obsessed with me and your repeated homosexuual references and overtones are actually a little frightening.
    10-20-10 11:09 AM
    And that still doesn't change the fact that what I said was true.
    10-20-10 11:11 AM
    It's also a fact that you're clearly obsessed with me and your repeated homosexuual references and overtones are actually a little frightening.
    Ha..don't flatter yourself dude. But I do enjoy making a mockery of you whenever I get the chance..i will admit that.
    10-20-10 11:13 AM
    Ha..don't flatter yourself dude. But I do enjoy making a mockery of you whenever I get the chance..i will admit that.
    If I do ever get an iPhone, you will be the first person that I tell!
    10-20-10 11:25 AM
    If my mom ever buys me an iPhone, you will be the first person that I tell!
    That would be great! Keep me informed if she ever does
    10-20-10 12:13 PM
    Man, I should switch to android or ios just so I can haunt these forums just cuz as well...
    10-20-10 01:41 PM
    Someone? More like several people. They just about own this city.

Don't have to know RIM people to get info about them though. Torch was the first device in two years that hadn't seen prior to release. RIM employees use them in public as a part of testing, just need to ride transit or sit in a cafe and be observant. Still haven't seen a PlayBook, though I know people that have used them. I refrain from leaking anything major though, I might apply for a job at RIM some day, I work in technology.

I think the touchscreen/trackpad difference is from the animation speed. When I switch between panes on the homescreen the animation goes much faster if I use the trackpad. It means fewer animation steps, and less noticeable if one does lag.
    I know what you mean. My neighbour had a Torch and showed me a few months ago. He writes phone apps or something. He's a self proclaimed geek...
    10-20-10 01:53 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD