the pic on the left has visible color banding.

I haven't noticed it much on my Torch, at least not enough to comment or care.

Everything looks like the 8-bit gradient dithered.

I've seen it on 5 different Torch's now (my company is starting to order lots of Torch's).

I want to know why it's like that. The processor has more than enough graphics power to show 24 bit gradient. Why won't it?
    10-07-10 08:37 AM
    Everything looks like the 8-bit gradient dithered.

I've seen it on 5 different Torch's now (my company is starting to order lots of Torch's).

I want to know why it's like that. The processor has more than enough graphics power to show 24 bit gradient. Why won't it?
    Have you seen a Torch without colour banding? I just checked out my friend's new Torch, and his has colour banding as well.

Upon second inspection of those sample photos, the one on the left (with visible colour banding) looks far better on computer than it does on my Torch.
    10-07-10 01:28 PM
    I doubt it's a hardware specific issue, it's probably something in the way the OS revision is displaying certain types of graphics with dithering.

So hardware to hardware you aren't going to see a difference and there are only a couple revisions available for OSes at this point that are probably all the same.
    10-07-10 05:03 PM
    I have noticed banding in some of the UI graphics... No big deal really. When viewing photos, I don't see any banding issues. I'm on .246

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 06:27 PM
    I just checked a Torch at a Telus store, and it was a lot different than my Torch. It showed around 5x as many shades of blue as my Torch. I'm going in to exchange my Torch right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 07:42 PM
    Very strange I was looking for this on my phone, maybe this isn't the right thing but for example when I hit camera and it takes a second to open and my screen goes black... If I tilt my phone a little it looks like the black screen is actually lines of shades of black/gray.
    10-07-10 11:00 PM
    I've been using this website to test things out.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on my screen.

On the Telus Torch I was testing out today, pretty much all 32 shades of blue were visible. How many bands are visible for you guys?
    Last edited by Masahiro; 10-08-10 at 01:05 AM.
    10-08-10 01:01 AM
    I'm just bumping this thread because I just got the torch a few days ago and noticed this color banding as well. The 9700 I had displayed this issue once, but I think changing the compression and/or just downloading the image instead of saving it from attachments to my media card resolved it....

...however, when I tried both solutions, none worked on the torch.

Is this just an OS issue?
    12-14-10 02:08 AM
    It's the browser. The images are compressed when they are sent through RIM's servers over the regular network. The images remain uncompressed when sent over Wifi. In the past, there was an option to adjust image quality, but this appears to be absent in OS6.

The images are similarly compressed when using the Facebook app (and the mobile site). Curiously, being on wifi doesn't seem to improve the image quality.
    12-14-10 02:35 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD