I hear what your saying here, but I have been browsing the Torch forums for quite a bit thinking of buying one for my wife. I don't see too much comparisons on apps for BB Vs iPhone, but what I do see is people complaining about how the phone was built and how OS6 is really laggy. Mind you way better than the previous but yet still a bit laggy.

I came from bb and was quite happy with the S2 when I had it but decided to switch. The app store is far more riddled with apps than I believe App world will be for a pretty long time, there more fluid and offer a great deal more of GTD apps for the business user in my opinion. Yes there are tons of games also but this is a nice balance.

Bbm is bb's "saving grace" that's keeping them up with the teens and in-betweens right now. Certainly not the email and security features.

So just to answer your question, I don't think it's the apps that are making the ppl not like the Torch.

I love it how everyone compares the apps for BB to apps for the iphone. Big difference in apps, iphone apps = play toys with some actual GTD apps, blackberry apps = mostly GTD apps with some play apps. There's no comparison in apps, more and more your seeing people say the phone is crap only because of apps. Am i getting stupid or do people only buy phones now based on how many apps there are?

As far as the original thread goes, Have had my torch since launch day, slight wobble(not enough to really bother me, no OCD), OS 6.0 is fluid now and a joy to use. At first it was cumbersome to GTD(get things done, saw it posted somewhere around here and liked it), but after a few weeks and figuring out a theme I like, Love t more and more every day.
    Last edited by jiggaman2g; 11-13-10 at 05:37 AM.
    11-13-10 05:32 AM
    I love it how everyone compares the apps for BB to apps for the iphone. Big difference in apps, iphone apps = play toys with some actual GTD apps, blackberry apps = mostly GTD apps with some play apps. There's no comparison in apps, more and more your seeing people say the phone is crap only because of apps. Am i getting stupid or do people only buy phones now based on how many apps there are?

As far as the original thread goes, Have had my torch since launch day, slight wobble(not enough to really bother me, no OCD), OS 6.0 is fluid now and a joy to use. At first it was cumbersome to GTD(get things done, saw it posted somewhere around here and liked it), but after a few weeks and figuring out a theme I like, Love t more and more every day.
    Truth is, most BB users would like to have as many apps available as the iphones and androids,whether they admit It or not. What I find funny is the "iphone and android are just toys"
    or "we don't need all those fart apps " comments.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-13-10 06:06 AM
    Truth is, most BB users would like to have as many apps available as the iphones and androids,whether they admit It or not. What I find funny is the "iphone and android are just toys"
    or "we don't need all those fart apps " comments.

I totally agree, more apps but not crap apps. We don't need 500 fart apps. What i meant was people are buying phones nowadays based on how many apps there are available, not whether the phone actually works well or not or if the form factor works for them. You keep hearing more and more these days...

"How many apps are there for it?"

Heard it twice recently while at the AT&T store, when the answer was "not many". They eventually bought the iphone based solely on that.

I personally have like 7 apps which i find useful. I did not base my purchase on how vast the app store is/was
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-13-10 at 06:13 AM. Reason: Didnt finish typing.. ferret ran across the pc hitting the enter key :D
    11-13-10 06:12 AM
    What i meant was people are buying phones nowadays based on how many apps there are available, not whether the phone actually works well or not orp if the form factor works for them. You keep hearing more and more these days...

"How many apps are there for it?"

Heard it twice recently while at the AT&T store, when the answer was "not many". They eventually bought the iphone based solely on that.
    Agree with you 100%. I think most sales reps don't take the time to really find out what a buyer needs out of a phone and explain the pros and cons of each model. They just sell what is more popular or has more apps etc..

11-13-10 07:02 AM
    Absolutely love my torch! Once in a while the wobble (VERY slight) pisses me off. But 9/10 days I don't even notice. Having keyboard and touchscreen is fanfreakintastic! I've had many different devices but this is by far my favorite! Looked at a couple HTC's and cringed at the thought of going back to virtual keyboard only.

11-13-10 07:07 AM
    OS6 IS NOT LAGGY. PERIOD. I'm sick of seeing lies that OS6 lags. Sure it takes a second to load an app the first time but that happens on my quad core 3.2ghz pc and that has 16gigs of ram. All menus, screens, and settings change fluidly in OS6.

11-13-10 07:13 AM
    I have too agree that the torch is fantastic. If you have lag, something is wrong. I am a heavy user and never have lag or see the hourglass. The slight wobble also bugs me a bit but all phones have some issue somewhere that will. The torch is a great device and soes what its meant for very well. I'm now going to stop reading the "I hate my torch" threads. They are silly. If you hate your torch , change for something else and post your complaints on their forums !!

11-13-10 07:33 AM
    I have to admit, while the phone is fantastic, I realize it is not what I wanted. I think I should have gottent the Galaxy S captivate instead. I will say that this phone is a great convienence for having both a physical and on screen keyboard. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing the device because I no longer want it.... All I'm trying to say is that I am not using this phone to its potential. If I were trading stocks are kept appointment logs, or liked having everything orginized throughout my day this phone would be second to none. I love the form factor to this phone, but I stream a lot of videos at work and spend quite a bit of time on the web. This phone is capable of doing both well, but it doesn't deliver the experience I really want. It bugs me that pinch zooming on photos takes a bit to rerender and same with pinch zoom on the net.

As for people complaining about lag, I will say I've never seen it, which leads me to call out user error for not shutting down apps properly or trying to force your phone to do something it shouldn't be doing. My torch has had a very insignificant wobble that I would only notice if I push the screen left and right myself. Plus the fix by putting a clear screen protector on the back of the screen looked like and excellent fix to the problem of typing on the screen and it feels like it hits the keyboard. Like I said before this phone is a great phone IF you take full advantage of what it has to offer. I'm thinking I may sell this one and try the galaxy S or pick one up during christmas.

11-13-10 08:16 AM
    I am learning to love the Torch. I really need to take the time to learn some of the neat features and I have to get brave and update the latest OS. I have been through many Blackberrys, but this is my first touch screen. I keep forgetting that I have it.
    11-13-10 09:38 AM
    I am learning to love the Torch. I really need to take the time to learn some of the neat features and I have to get brave and update the latest OS. I have been through many Blackberrys, but this is my first touch screen. I keep forgetting that I have it.
    Well..like your sig says..it's better to try something and regret it than never to have tried it at all But seriously..upgrading OS's isn't a difficult task. There are many guides found on this site..and many helpful members to walk you thru it. It's pretty much as simple as download the OS..run it on the computer..plug your phone in..and install.
    11-13-10 09:42 AM
    upgrading OS's isn't a difficult task. There are many guides found on this site..and many helpful members to walk you thru it.
    It's not hard, but it is a ridiculously inefficient process.
    11-13-10 09:46 AM
    Well..like your sig says..it's better to try something and regret it than never to have tried it at all But seriously..upgrading OS's isn't a difficult task. There are many guides found on this site..and many helpful members to walk you thru it. It's pretty much as simple as download the OS..run it on the computer..plug your phone in..and install.
    I know it won't be difficult, and I have some members in my back pocket to help in a pinch. Just have a healthy fear of anything geeky.
    11-13-10 09:46 AM
    I've had mine for a week and I'm so in love wit my Kholie Torche Berry. Mine is pretty sturdy wit no wobbling and I love Blackberry 6.

11-13-10 10:17 AM
    i will trade my torch for a 9780 on kijiji if I see and ad for it

1. Weight, this is the heaviest cell I ever had
    2. Am worry about longevity on it since ive been hard on my cell and my classic bb form (had a 8310 curve for 3 years) seem to be a tank
    3. I mostly dont used the on screen keyboard so I want the bigger one
    4. Battery life

Things I will miss: Navigation inside cell with touch screen ( i use touch to navigate and physical kb to type)
    Touch Browser (pinch to zoom and bigger screen)
    11-13-10 10:20 AM
    It's not hard, but it is a ridiculously inefficient process.
    Yes..I suppose it is..much like charging Android batteries apparently..

From the Android Forums...

"Someone should probaly explain bump charging in detail, but here's how to do it.

Charge your Incredible to max (green light).

Unplug the phone and then turn it off.

Plug it back in (should have an orange light now) and charge it to max again.

Unplug the phone and turn it on. Wait for it to boot up.

Turn the phone off and then plug it back in (should be an orange light again).

Charge it to full (green light) again.

Repeat this process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in."

11-13-10 11:25 AM
    My only regret about the Torch is that I didn't buy it the day it came out. I missed out on two months of awesomeness because I listened to the negative reviews it received from various web sites.
    11-13-10 11:29 AM

"Someone should probaly explain bump charging in detail, but here's how to do it.

Repeat this process until the light is green immediately upon plugging it back in."

I think you and Tucker really like eachother. I have to say though,you guys are quite entertaining.
    Ok back on subject.

11-13-10 12:05 PM
    i love it but to be honest not that excited about os 6 yet
    11-13-10 12:20 PM

I can upgrade my OS in about 4 minutes (or less). Can you say the same?
    11-13-10 12:38 PM
    I can upgrade my OS in about 4 minutes (or less). Can you say the same?
    Ha! No..no I definately can't upgrade that quickly. Would you like a cookie now?
    Last edited by Rickroller; 11-13-10 at 01:01 PM.
    11-13-10 12:58 PM
    Ha! No..no I definately can't upgrade that quickly. Would you like a cookie now?
    I will give him two double choc. chip cookies if he can do mine that fast.
    11-13-10 01:04 PM
    I will give him two double choc. chip cookies if he can do mine that fast.
    You'd need to go Android first..and then maybe he could help you out..those Android fella's know lot's of stuff

11-13-10 01:11 PM
    Icky no way, I don't like the android. I only give cookies to BB users.
    11-13-10 01:14 PM
    I can't rave enough about the Torch. For me, it's the perfect phone. It's my first Blackberry and I was torn between the Torch and a Bold, mainly because the Bold looked like it would be more solid (no slider to worry about). I was also concerned about the small keypad (I'm 6-7 with giant hands). Oddly enough, I text better on the Torch than any phone I've ever used. I'm not experiencing lag or glitches. 2 times a week I do a soft reset and give it a good wipe down to remove fingerprints and that's about it. It was only a $100 investment and it paid for itself the first week by increasing my sales at my job due to the speed in which I was able to respond to my customers. So, yeah, I really like it.
    11-13-10 08:12 PM
    1) Slider wobble is getting worse and really does *(^*&^*& me off. To the point of replacing it with the 9780. I cannot stress how annoying this is.

2) Lock button is too sensitive.

3) I hate the virtual keyboard, I switch it off and always slide the Torch open.

4) Battery life is very poor, I know it has the Torch has a large display with touch panel that draws more power. But why oh why a small battery capacity.

1) The large display, coming from the 9000 is was the only real upgrade option as I like real keyboards and hate virtual touch panel keypads.

At the moment there is a lot to dislike about the Torch!!
    11-13-10 10:06 PM
59 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD