I have a BIS plan aparrently.... due to AT&T being total morons and 4 people telling me that when they moved my iPhone unlimited to BB unlimited that BES would work, my IT group at work wants to have me use my Torch as a test since they're looking at devices/carriers to roll out. I don't think it'll work but they gave me an EAS password but my question is, where do I go on the Torch to set that up.

When I go to setup an email address, I don't get enterprise as an option, just google, yahoo, other, BIS. Nothing in other either.

I went to options, device, advanced system settings (where it says enterprise activation, service book) but I only see service book, sim card, browser push, cell broadcasting, default services, host routing table and tcp ip. Even the AT&T manager I talked to said to try it and see what happens but I'm thinking that when you go to a BES account, AT&T "pushes" something to your phone to allow you to set it up... or am I just missing a menu option I can try?

thanks!
    01-21-11 05:05 PM
    Your IT guys have to add your 9800 to the company BES based on the Torch's PIN before you can do the Enterprise Activation password on the Torch. Did they add it?
    On the Torch search 'Enterprise Activation' and it SHOULD take you right to it.
    01-21-11 05:13 PM
    Your IT guys have to add your 9800 to the company BES based on the Torch's PIN before you can do the Enterprise Activation password on the Torch. Did they add it?
    On the Torch search 'Enterprise Activation' and it SHOULD take you right to it.
    Yep, everything is set up on their end. What's weird is that my husband has the same phone (he got it new, mine is a refurb) and in devices, he has the activation option in advanced, where my phone doesn't. What the heck (did the battery pull, no go)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 05:21 PM
    I don't know what to tell you. Our company has 300 Blackberrys on BES. We recently replaced about 6 users Blackberrys with the Torch and there was nothing different in the process compared to any other Blackberry.
    Perhaps ask your question in the Crackberry Admin forum...Here
    Good luck.

Edit:
    PS, I email my friend (our BES Administrator) to ask him. Ill get back to you if he has an answer (or question).
    Last edited by pmccartney; 01-21-11 at 06:19 PM.
    01-21-11 06:13 PM
    Huh... this is just bizarre and I definitely appreciate your help. I verified my husband doesn't have an "enterprise" data plan so it's not that (though I know that leaves the question on if this will even work but I'd like to be able to try LOL!)

I'm going to sit the two phones side by side and see about any version differences on the software.
    01-21-11 06:24 PM
    well i just confirmed. same versions and everything between the two devices. this is whacky. I'll go post in the admin forum
    01-21-11 06:29 PM
    I got a reply from my friend. He said it's possible that it could be locked by the carrier if your data plan is not right. Without seeing it first hand it's hard to say.
    Do you see a Blackberry logo (like the one on the menu key) beside either the 3G or WiFi connection symbol at the top of the home screen. If you have BIS you should see that when connected.
    01-21-11 06:35 PM
    Yep, (you mean the 4 dots right?) it's just next to the wifi signal strength icon. So does my husband on his phone.

I was figuring it's because of the plan but my husband (who bought a new phone from the store vs my refurb from the AT&T website) has the DataPro 2gb NOT enterprise version (the $25 one) and he has it...... ggrrr...
    01-21-11 06:40 PM
    AT&T has to provision your account for BES. Call them and make sure you have an enterprise data plan and not a personal plan.
    01-21-11 09:53 PM
    That's the thing. I know I have a personal plan but so does my husband (mine is unlimited, his is 2GB) and his phone shows the enterprise activation option. Took his sim and put it in my phone (both torches) and it wanted to wipe which I didn't have the time to do tonite....

01-21-11 10:04 PM
    If you have a personal plan, you are not going to be able to connect to a BES. Even if the option is there, it will not work. Has your husband setup and BIS email accounts yet? If not it could be showing the option because his service books have not been updated yet.
    01-21-11 10:14 PM
    Just a yahoo address which I don't think uses bis right? So perhaps that answers things. Tho two at&t people today told me it might work and that they were surprised to hear I could use activesync on my ipohne with only a personal account.

01-21-11 10:18 PM
    As far as I know, there is only 1 type of iphone data plan. You don't need a special plan to use AS on the iphone.
    01-21-11 10:26 PM
    Correct! Once you setup a personal email account triggering a SB push those options go away. If you wipe the device they will reappear but as pb indicated may fail unless you have the correct data plan. Once you setup a personal email account they will go away again unless you get BES working first. Depending on your IT policies you may not be allowed to setup personal email after going BES.

01-21-11 10:27 PM
    Ok this is officially bizarre.... I used the search thing, type in enterprise on the device, it shows up... Hit it a few times. Wouldn't start up. Ok...m was in options after that, randomly went to devices, etc.... And there's the option I need. What the heck?? Amd trying with password my it guy gave. It's contacting the server... I don't expect it to work but you never know...

01-21-11 10:28 PM
    Pbflash - I told 3 at&t people the same thing today. I said there is no "enterprise" option with iphone and if you are having people do that just for activesync, that's highway robbery but they all insisted that was the way it had to be...

01-21-11 10:30 PM
    Pbflash - I told 3 at&t people the same thing today. I said there is no "enterprise" option with iphone and if you are having people do that just for activesync, that's highway robbery but they all insisted that was the way it had to be...

That's why I don't go into stores for anything. I make my purchases and manage my account online. I've called into CS once with a BB problem and I ended up teaching the rep a few things he didn't know. Now i just come here and have always found answers for any questions I may have.
    01-21-11 10:33 PM
    Sadly this was online with a first level person, a manager and then a manager two levels above that.....

It doesn't seem to want to connect but it's saying it could be I have the wrong address/password (I don't) the activation email may no longer be in my inbox... No idea what that means or why it matters or that my email account may not be set up on the blackberry enterprise server and to contact my it group... All things sound like it's an issue on my company's side vs the at&t side. And given the company we've outsourced our mail handling too, I wouldn't be surprised if they goofed.

01-21-11 10:38 PM
    The thing to watch is your company email. When registering you will see an email come into your inbox. If that email hits your BB, it will start to sync. If you never see that email, your not making it that far and you have to watch for it closely. Similar to what happens when registering to remote backup BBM...

At least by our policies, the reg pw is only good for one shot or 24 HRS and you can only get a new pw like every 10 mins.

01-21-11 10:47 PM
    Hmmm ok I'll have to get with my it group on monday. I think we have the 24 hour thing so I'm good until about 4pm eastern tomorrow but I know I haven't gotten an email from the system since I started to try to activate.

01-21-11 10:54 PM
    I went through all of this on my first BB. Took a week before AT&T finally admitted that they did not provision my account correctly for enterprise. If you only have a personal account, you're not going to be able to connect to the BES server (unless AT&T changed something).
    01-21-11 10:59 PM
    What kills me is that before I changed from the iphone, I got the same answer from 4 different people that yes I will be able to keep my unlimited plan, yes it would work with bes and bis and yes it would be the same price $30... And then today I get a manager that tells me otherwise "but try it and see, it might work"

01-21-11 11:02 PM
    I see no Enterprise or Small Business pricing online. If it were me, I would say provide me the equipment and plan or jump in a lake...

I do not think they can "just add" enterprise services to your personal plan. **** they charge for tethering and limit data usage on personal plans these days - that said Enterprise will certainly push the 2GB limit of today's premium personal data plan.
    01-21-11 11:37 PM
    The enterprise plan is $15 more per month. I pay $40 for the 2gb enterprise plan. It was $45 when I had unlimited.
    01-21-11 11:49 PM
    Assuming that what you're saying is that your IT department has now provisioned BES facilities on your handset (this is done remotely) if you still don't see the option called Enterprise Activation in options>advanced options> then the thing to do now is pull your battery and leave it out for at least a minute then put it back in then search for that option again.

01-22-11 03:02 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD