Does it happen when the phone is open? Or closed? I have a slight movement when its closed at the bottom near the trackpad area. Don't know if its enough for me to overly be concerned about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-03-11 04:49 PM
    Does it happen when the phone is open? Or closed? I have a slight movement when its closed at the bottom near the trackpad area. Don't know if its enough for me to overly be concerned about.

Mine happens only with the screen closed, and for it to happen, I need to push on the bottom left corner, in which it'll wiggle a bit (not much at all, a few millimeters at most.) to the right, though strangely when pushing on the right, it won't wiggle to the left at all.

I'm personally not concerned with mine.
    01-03-11 04:55 PM
    Mine happens only with the screen closed, and for it to happen, I need to push on the bottom left corner, in which it'll wiggle a bit (not much at all, a few millimeters at most.) to the right, though strangely when pushing on the right, it won't wiggle to the left at all.

I'm personally not concerned with mine.
    That's exactly what happens to mine! How long have you had yours? Has it gotten any worse with time?

01-03-11 04:57 PM
    That's exactly what happens to mine! How long have you had yours? Has it gotten any worse with time?

I purchased mine on the 19th of December, however only started using it on the 25th, and as far as I can tell, It's not gotten any worse even with my heavy usage of the device.

Ultimately I've had to remind myself that this is device with a sliding hinge, and so it does ultimately have to have some flaws, and can't be as tightly assembled as a 9700/9780 for example, as the two pieces have to move without binding/scraping on each other.
    01-03-11 04:59 PM
    I have to ask you. Did you notice the wiggle on your own or did you go looking for it after reading a "wiggle thread"?
    It is normal to have some play in a device made of plastic that has moving parts. I would say that if your are getting more than 1/8" of movement sideways with the phone closed you may want to have a store rep look at it. My Torch screen has a slight bit of play and the Send/Return keys occasionally emit a barely audible creak. I personally consider this normal considering the design.
    01-03-11 05:00 PM
    I have to ask you. Did you notice the wiggle on your own or did you go looking for it after reading a "wiggle thread"?
    It is normal to have some play in a device made of plastic that has moving parts. I would say that if your are getting more than 1/8" of movement sideways with the phone closed you may want to have a store rep look at it. My Torch screen has a slight bit of play and the Send/Return keys occasionally emit a barely audible creak. I personally consider this normal considering the design.
    I had heard of the screen wiggle issues long before I even owned a Torch, so I was aware of the issue for quite a while, however I only noticed the issue when I was holding the device in my right hand, with my fingertips pushing on the bottom left bit of the screen.
    01-03-11 05:05 PM
    I noticed it while using my right hand to single handed text. And my middle finger pushed the screen slightly. I was however a little confused as I keep reading that wiggle= send the phone back...so I didn't know if it was normal or not.

01-03-11 05:27 PM
    The only reason I asked is because I probably would not have noticed any wiggle had I not been paranoid from all the press. It used to be "my trackball rattles!"
    01-03-11 05:30 PM
    Yea i totally read up way too much on the torch and am totally paranoid about every little thing

01-03-11 05:32 PM
    Yaaa I was in the same boat as you @candy84, as soon as I bought the torch of someone from craigslist I noticed a slight wiggle while using it. Like most people have stated previously, because of its design being a slider its just normal for it to move a little. Iv'e personally stopped mulling over it and I havent really noticed it since I stopped thinking about it haha.

I still think its the "funnest" blackberry to date. Hope that helps.
    01-03-11 05:39 PM
    Yea i totally read up way too much on the torch and am totally paranoid about every little thing

I'm admittedly the same. The T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire Z) I had for two weeks when I had a bit of a go with Android went back simply because I couldn't stand how loose the hinge on that device was.

Hold your Torch upside down (with the lock/mute buttons pointed at the ground) and then hold it so your -just- holding onto the main piece (where the keyboard and main frame are) your screen won't slide open, however on a G2 it would, no joke.

As DannyKavs said, Once you get past the wiggle and little imperfections which are part of how the phone is to allow the slider to work, The Torch is a great device, even for those of us who are a bit overly picky and total perfectionists when it comes to our devices.
    01-03-11 11:29 PM
    I've had the torch since it launched and I never had the wiggle issue...I mean the screen moves a little bit but nothing too crazy i think some people are just taking the wiggle too far and looking too much into it lol. I work for best buy mobile ive sold a ton of torches and checked all for the wiggle and found none so far
    01-04-11 01:50 AM
    I honestly believe that this wiggle issue is one that a few obsessively focused on and then it just took wings and everyone else pounced on it.
    I've had the device since launch - I read thread after thread about the wiggle but never noticed it. One day, after reading the millionth thread on the subject, I was holding the phone on my left hand while making a turn on my truck (I know, that was bad) and I pressed very hard on the phone...and I noticed the wiggle. To be honest, I don't remember whether it was open or closed....I really believed that if I hadn't read all the threads I wouldn't have even noticed.
    Enjoy your device. It's a slider. It's supposed to have moving parts.
    01-04-11 03:09 AM
    If you have to ask then I wouldn't worry about it. If your phone was defective you would have noticed right away!

As has been pointed out, any slider is going to have some level of wiggle, as is the nature of the mechanism.
    01-04-11 08:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD