I thought the new OS 6 would resolve the problem. I have the device set to save forever, and it is erasing everything older than 60 days on my desktop.

HELP!!

Thanks

Jim
    09-15-10 10:32 AM
    That's been a problem for at least four years. That's how long I've used a BlackBerry. I don't think RIM can solve it. It seems to be a RIM/Outlook interaction bug.
    09-15-10 10:40 AM
    Is there any type of work around? I need older calander info throughout the year, but, really want my handheld to be in sync.
    09-15-10 10:47 AM
    I haven't found one. My BlackBerry / Outlook / BES setup keeps appts for 13 months, which is better than your results, but I haven't found a solution. Different users report different results.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 11:49 AM
    What about setting the desktop to autoarchive calendar entries at 6 weeks out which will cache them prior to deletion by the handheld. Then if you need to access older data it is still available. Not as convienent as having it still in the calendar but at least it's not deleted.
    09-15-10 02:06 PM
    I sync my Curve 8330 to Outlook and always receive a screen for me to accept changes. This is a setting in your BB Desktop Manager. Synchronization,options, advanced. There is a checkbox for you to select 'confirm deletions'.
    09-16-10 12:01 PM
    That's not what we're talking about. This is a bug. We have appointments set to "Keep Forever" but they are deleted without any prompting after a certain date, which varies by user.

09-16-10 12:34 PM
    That's appalling. Just as I thought I'd made up my mind to get one, too.

Are they deleted on the device as well, or just in Outlook?
    09-16-10 03:46 PM
    Both places. If you use a BlackBerry and sync with Outlook, you can't keep an appointment history beyond some date. The date varies. I've never been able to discern a pattern. It affects both BIS and BES users, but not all users. One user reported having 4000+ appts going back years. We couldn't identify what was different in his setup.

09-16-10 03:51 PM
    So, I guess we all better back up our Outlook data? I never had this issue with my pearl, and I had years of appts, but now I'm nervous this will happen with my torch.
    09-16-10 04:16 PM
    What are the alternatives? Is there any other way of backing up your data that retains it? What about Desktop Manager?
    09-16-10 04:33 PM
    The best thing I've found is Google Sync. It's great and free. You set up all your calendar appointments on Google and install Google Sync on your pc and your blackberry. The Google calendar is the only place you ever have to make any entries and it keeps your pc and blackberry updated automatically. Saved me a lot of hassles between my blackberry, home pc calendar, and my work pc calendar.
    09-16-10 06:18 PM
    Maybe I missed something and its late in the business day. Desktop Manager can be setup with at least 3 or 4 synch options between Outlook and the Torch.
    09-16-10 06:38 PM
    Yes, you missed the point. The question is not sync options, but rather how to prevent Outlook and the BlackBerry Calendar from deleting old appointments when you have the option set to keep them forever.

09-16-10 07:11 PM
    I did NOT want to see this topic reappear! JeffH, remember me? You helped out a lot when I was dealing with this issue.

Had this problem with my Storm 1 big time. 2 different devices, 2 OS versions. Never resolved it. Acknowledged issue with Berries (even RIM support tech told me this). Spent huge amount of time troubleshooting with Telus & RIM tech support, but refused when it got to the point they asked me to reload OS. I did NOT spend hundreds of $ on a smartphone to become a phone tech. Tech support and all my internet research attributed it to low free memory. Eventually sent complaint letter to RIM co-CEO's and Telus CEO complaining and Telus sent me a Storm 2 replacement for Storm 1.

Have had the same issue appear with my Storm 2 but only once since early spring. So I have no idea how it's related to low free memory.

The only workaround I've developed is to have the "Prompt for changes?" in DM setup turned on. When there's a sync I look at the Calendar deletions (if any) to see if they're legit. If they're not, I :

- Jot down all the entries going Berry to Outlook and cancel the sync
    - Change the DM Calendar sync options to 1 way Outlook to Berry
    - Run the sync so it overwrites the Berry Calendar with the Outlook Calendar
    - Manually update Outlook with any changes I recorded manually in the 1st step
    - Change the DM Calendar sync options back to 2 way Outlook from/to Berry
    - Run a full 2 way sync

On my Storm 1 it could be good for anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks before it happened again. On my Storm 2 I've only had to do it once, about 2 months ago.

Now it's appearing on Torches with OS6?

Dear lord - RIM, you make it really tough to stick around. This is a BUSINESS device, remember - and my business appointments are important.

Anyway, hope the workaround helps.

- R
    09-16-10 08:43 PM
    Jeez, what a can of worms this is!

So, does syncing to Google work without deleting old calendar entries?

What about if the sync is set up 1 way BlackBerry to Outlook only?

The only place I ever enter calendar (or other) data is on my device, all I want to do is back it up in order that I can restore it if the device is lost, changed or crashes.
    09-17-10 03:15 AM
    Hi Rooster, good to hear from you again. Thanks for posting your work-around.
    09-17-10 07:32 AM
    Hi! I see nobody has replied since September. JeffH, did you ever manage to find a solution? I've just bought a Torch and love it - except for this same annoyance! Even if I do an 'Outlook to BB only' transfer, it still won't copy over the events older than 60 days. Frustrating would be the understatement of the year. Would getting a replacement Torch from Telus possibly help? Or ???
    Thanks.
    10-05-10 01:18 PM
    This problem has been around for several years and isn't limited to a particular phone, OS, or carrier. Switching to Telus is unlikely to help.
    10-05-10 01:56 PM
    Thanks. Actually, I was meaning if I got a replacement set from Telus (my provider) - could a new set fix the problem?
    10-05-10 02:13 PM
    No. The problem isn't in your specific current unit. I've had it with a 7290, 7250, 8830, and three 9630's. A new BlackBerry won't solve the problem. I think (I can't prove it) that the problem is caused by the interaction of the BlackBerry Calendar and Outlook.

10-05-10 02:18 PM
    Thanks so much. What a drag!
    10-05-10 07:47 PM
    As I only ever enter data on my device, not into Outlook or elsewhere on my PC, I am less interested in syncing than backing up.

Do I take it that no data or old appointments are lost backing up to DM?
    10-06-10 03:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD