I cannot change the security timer reset to "allow"...it will not change from "deny".
    There is no IT Policy listed on my phone either, unless for some reason it isn't letting me know there is one. It is a company phone so pretty sure its BES. I have...

Blackberry 9800
    3G WiFi
    6.0 bundle 2647 (v6.0.0.600, Platform 6.6.0.223)

Current Whatsapp Version 2.7.9379

I recently re-downloaded this whatsapp version above in attempt to see if that would fix things, i'm not sure if this was the version I had when things stopped working. I have re-downloaded a few different versions now, yet nothing! Whatsapp worked fine for 4 months and I didn't update my OS.
    I also recently downloaded the BB bundle listed above. I was using an older version when whatsapp stopped working for me. But that hasn't helped either.

Do all whatsapp versions require "allow" in all of the permission settings?
    Maybe there is a different OS bundle that I could download that would allow me to edit all permissions? Don't know where to start...completely stumped! Greatly appreciate any help!
    06-26-12 03:27 PM
    If you are not allowed to change the settinng it is almost certainly locked down by a BES policy. There are ways to remove all policies, but it would be career threatening to defeat a corporate security policy.

There is no legitimate reason for an application like Whatsapp to touch the security timer. That's the setting which allows an application to reset the activity timeout without human intervention and prevent the device from locking (password lock). With the possible exception of GPS/navigation apps which you might use "no touch" in the car, and probably apps which have functions like tethered modem or Playbook Bridge (again no-touch), the it is more likely than not that an app which demands the rights or actually resets the timer is either malicious or incompetently written.
    06-26-12 04:34 PM
    So I gather that a BES administrator could permanently change the security timer permission to "deny"...and I would not know until apps that require it just stop working? I'm puzzled because this app worked before just fine and then stopped. From what I have read everywhere, Whatsapp needs all permissions set to "allow" to work.

This is an odd side note. I am in the USA and any Whatsapp USA contact I text does not seem to be effected. It seems to be effecting only foreign contacts. I can see them online but neither of us can message the other. This was not the case until 2 weeks ago.

I suppose my best approach would be to ask the app creator for a fix? I don't think I have any chance of having our company relax security settings.

Thanks again branta!
    06-26-12 10:10 PM
    These apps are ridiculous with the permissions they need just to function. That's why I only use RIM's trusted apps.
    06-26-12 11:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD