So I have both googlemaps and BBmaps. BB maps works sometimes. Googlemaps MIGHT work if it feels like it. Sometimes it work and finds my current location...but most of the time i either have to keep pressing the blue location button or not get anything at all.

I know some people have had problems with googlemaps and some haven't. Anyone know what's going on?
    Last edited by greyd; 11-17-10 at 10:25 AM.
    11-17-10 10:21 AM
    GMaps 4.4 has always been broken in this regard

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-17-10 10:42 AM
    the thing is I have 4.5.1 and that did the same thing also. I've tried both.
    11-17-10 10:51 AM
    no problems here. I'm using 4.4 on gmaps and the latest blackberry maps
    11-17-10 01:45 PM
    4.5.1 got pulled only 4.4 is available. 4.4 was and is still moody as to when it wants to work, 4.5.1 was broken out of the box

11-17-10 02:24 PM
    Whenever I open any of my maps programs they are so slow to the point where I just close out of them.
    11-17-10 02:26 PM
    Hmm.. haven't had any issues myself with GMaps v4.5.1

Sure wish they'd implement the pinch to zoom feature when viewing the map, though..
    11-17-10 02:55 PM
    google maps works perfectly for me. Use it all the time. What bothers me is that it doesn't support pinch to zoom.
    Last edited by cwoodffr; 11-17-10 at 03:15 PM.
    11-17-10 03:08 PM
    I've got Google Maps v4.4 and I have zero problems with it on my 9700 running OS 6.0.0.344.

Obviously Google is not going to release a Blackberry version that has the same functionality as it releases for Android and I wonder if some of the bugs are a deliberate marketing ploy by Google.
    11-17-10 03:15 PM
    google maps for me is just slow as all ****!

my friend's iphone 4 cues up the data pretty fast - actually any iphone for that matter.

yeah it's really lame that we can't pan or pinch zoom with the touchscreen - at least give us a version like the storms
    11-17-10 03:22 PM
    to be more specific 4.5.1 works quickly and reliably on the 9800 in my experience
    11-17-10 03:56 PM
    I've got Google Maps v4.4 and I have zero problems with it on my 9700 running OS 6.0.0.344.

Obviously Google is not going to release a Blackberry version that has the same functionality as it releases for Android and I wonder if some of the bugs are a deliberate marketing ploy by Google.
    Ooooh... a conspiracy theory! Love it!
    11-17-10 04:28 PM
    The GMaps releases always have been buggy as ****...

One release it's pretty smooth. Next release they break a bunch of stuff and the app freezes pretty frequently. It's been happening for years and the app is basically unreliable as a result.
    11-17-10 04:30 PM
    I lost Google Maps 4.5.1 when I had to wipe my Torch last week.

I just opened my current version 4.4. I'm inside my office and it had my location within 20 meters in about 10 seconds.
    I'm more than happy with that!

I know when I open Poynt, it seems to take a little longer to ascertain my current location...
    11-17-10 04:34 PM
    4.4.0 work perfectly for me and is 100x better than bbmaps (although bbmap give you speed!). Now if only they would enable pinch to zoom on 9800
    11-17-10 04:52 PM
    So I have both googlemaps and BBmaps. BB maps works sometimes. Googlemaps MIGHT work if it feels like it. Sometimes it work and finds my current location...but most of the time i either have to keep pressing the blue location button or not get anything at all.

I know some people have had problems with googlemaps and some haven't. Anyone know what's going on?
    Google maps works for 3 or 4 days for me then it locks the phone up by re peatedly asking me to grant it permission.
    I then have to pull the battery and reboot and it works again for awhile. - have version 4.4

11-18-10 11:31 AM
    Hmm.. I've been using GMaps v4.5.1 since I got my Torch about a month ago and never had a single issue with it..

Weird!
    11-18-10 02:21 PM
    Whenever I open any of my maps programs they are so slow to the point where I just close out of them.
    I have a 9700 with an unlimited data plan on TMO, and I experience almost the same things. BBMaps only displays the black & green lines when I open it, and GMaps can never fully open for me; it just hangs when I attempt to run it. Frustrating...
    11-24-10 02:01 PM
    I have a 9700 with an unlimited data plan on TMO, and I experience almost the same things. BBMaps only displays the black & green lines when I open it, and GMaps can never fully open for me; it just hangs when I attempt to run it. Frustrating...
    Have you enabled GPS and Location Aiding?

With OS5, go to Options>Advanced Options>GPS and make sure you have Location On and Location Aiding enabled.

For BB6, open the Options app and type GPS, then select Location Settings. There are 4 settings to select which should be in order: Device GPS, Location On, Enabled, Enabled.
    Last edited by elite1; 11-24-10 at 04:31 PM.
    11-24-10 04:27 PM
    I find GoogleMaps so much more visually appealing, but BBmaps is just more reliable, and finds my location way quicker. Pinch to zoom ftw.
    tcseacliff likes this.
    11-24-10 10:22 PM
    it is a crap app on the torch. one question I have been trying to get answered is, how do you exit the map? the exit or close button from the menu is gone all there is is switch application and cancel, but switching application, keeps it running in background. on the BOLD this was a great app. and why would they not use the pinch to zoom??
    01-01-11 03:50 PM
    I have v4.4 and works just fine. There is an Exit option when I hit menu on the maps screen (not on the 'Directions' screen) which does its job.
    tcseacliff likes this.
    01-01-11 07:46 PM
    it is a crap app on the torch. one question I have been trying to get answered is, how do you exit the map? the exit or close button from the menu is gone all there is is switch application and cancel, but switching application, keeps it running in background. on the BOLD this was a great app. and why would they not use the pinch to zoom??
    I just deleted the 4.5 and reloaded the 4.4 ver. much, much better! and the pinch to zoom works with this ver.and all the buttons are back! thanks all to posted with their two cents.helped me find the cure! crackberry rides again!!
    01-01-11 08:13 PM
    google maps sux!
    01-02-11 01:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD