I'm having a really sucky day for battery drain.

Usually, my Torch will last from 7 am to 12am before it needs a charge. this is with heavy internet, BBM, facebook, pingchat, whatsapp, camera and txt use, with maybe a little tweeting as well.

I'm happy with charging the device once a day, because I have my home charger and a desk charger as well.

However, today, my battery has lasted from 7am to 1pm and I have hardly any apps running, other than phone, web, messages and BBM.

I recently updated my OS to .337

Does anyone have any ideas?
    11-17-10 07:15 AM
    Had you installed or upgraded any apps (regardless of whether you have them running) just before your battery life changed? Sudden changes in battery life are almost always app-related. It's not the new OS.
    madcap71 likes this.
    11-17-10 07:48 AM
    Is that the only change you've made recently is updating the OS? If so..then i'd suggest downgrading to the previous one you were on. Every OS seems to affect everyone's phone a little different. Since I've upgraded to .337 I noticed a faster battery drain, but I also installed a few more apps in that time..so it could be one of those that is doing it as well. I'm currently running a hybrid OS to see if it helps my battery or not, but it's possible the new OS is affecting your battery.
    madcap71 likes this.
    11-17-10 07:49 AM
    i think the only constant is OS .337. Although I have since updated facebook and downloaded pingchat and battery watch.

I thought the OS improved the battery life?

any recommendations for an OS that will have a positive effect on battery life?

thanks for the help
    11-17-10 08:23 AM
    I'd maybe get rid of Batterywatch. I downloaded a few Battery programs but found they were draining my battery worse..including Meterberry. I'd uninstall those two new apps you DL'd and try it for a day to see if it's back to where you were..if not..then downgrade to the other OS you were running.
    11-17-10 08:27 AM
    i think the only constant is OS .337. Although I have since updated facebook and downloaded pingchat and battery watch.

I thought the OS improved the battery life?

any recommendations for an OS that will have a positive effect on battery life?

thanks for the help
    Pingchat is a known battery drainer, so see if uninstalling that gives you your old battery life back. I don't know about Battery Watch. I use MeterBerry and it causes no drain . . . .
    madcap71 likes this.
    11-17-10 08:35 AM
    Hate to say it, but the only way to be sure is to do an OS reinstall. Then run fresh (without adding any 3rd party apps) for a day or two to get a baseline. Follow that by adding one 3rd party app a day while keeping an eye on battery life.
    11-17-10 09:05 AM
    Did you look in Application Management > CPU (swipe screen left) to see what is currently using the most processing? Swipe left once more to see 'Usage' for Today, Yesterday, This Week, Last Week
    madcap71 likes this.
    11-17-10 09:06 AM
    Did you look in Application Management > CPU (swipe screen left) to see what is currently using the most processing? Swipe left once more to see 'Usage' for Today, Yesterday, This Week, Last Week
    thanks for this. I tried this and there was nothing alarming at all. Pingchat was taking little to no CPU usage, the big one was the options app.

Must be the OS
    11-17-10 11:37 AM
    do you have Kik messenger installed? that drained my battery heavily until i uninstalled it.
    11-17-10 12:45 PM
    Hate to say it, but the only way to be sure is to do an OS reinstall. Then run fresh (without adding any 3rd party apps) for a day or two to get a baseline. Follow that by adding one 3rd party app a day while keeping an eye on battery life.
    do you mean reinstall my current OS or a previous one?
    11-17-10 04:49 PM
    I find that the native Twitter app seems to kill my battery unless I completely disable auto-updates.
    11-17-10 06:55 PM
    for some reason, battery has returned to what i would deem, "normal" use.

Been on for 7 and a half hours, moderate use of fbook, internet, BBM, emails, texting, whatsapp and twitter and it's only gone down 20%

not done anything but install a whatsapp update, a few battery pulls and switching to 2G when I dont need the internet.
    11-25-10 08:59 AM
    That seems to be fairly 'normal' battery consumption. Pretty good actually. Good to hear.
    Last edited by pmccartney; 11-25-10 at 09:59 AM. Reason: here to hear lol
    madcap71 likes this.
    11-25-10 09:34 AM
    thanks for this. I tried this and there was nothing alarming at all. Pingchat was taking little to no CPU usage, the big one was the options app.

Must be the OS
    I too see the options app as the most consuming, try changing the filter option to "today" or "this week" to get an overall idea, not just at the moment.
    11-25-10 10:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD