I had another idea tonite. I think BT networking can take on some new features such as either or both, drag and drop files in ftp folder and select multiple files to transfer and once. Folder transfer would be nice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-11-10 02:03 AM
    not so much a hardware improvement, but I would love if they would put a way to temporarily hide the virtual keyboard - sometimes it's a pain to fill online forms...
    That, it already can. Go into Options, Typing and Input, Keyboard and uncheck 'Open Virtual Keyboard on Slider Close'.

Not directed at you but just want to say, please don't feed the trolls. If you see someone is trolling, fight the urge, let it be. The worse you can do to a troll is ignoring it.
    10-11-10 07:38 AM
    Pretty happy with my Torch, comming from 9700 takes a bit of getting use to, but hold a 9700 in my hand now and never wanna go back to it.

Biggest downfall for me,.. Battery life, i barely get 10 hrs out of the phone vs my bold i would easily get 2 days, Not needed but it would be nice to make it through the day without having to charge.
    10-11-10 08:13 AM
    On the Torch...I love the device. May I please have Flash?!??!? It's the only thing I would like to have on it that I don't currently have.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 10-11-10 at 08:44 AM.
    10-11-10 08:20 AM
    I would love to see: a faster processor, better web browser, and the missing convenience key. Outside of that I'm in love with my Torch
    10-11-10 09:51 AM
    Just out of curiosity, for those who want a faster processor, are there any specific reasons why? I'm only asking because I've pretty much put the Torch through everything I could give it and its handled everthing wonderfully so, for me, I couldn't see the Torch benefiting from a faster processor.

10-11-10 10:44 AM
    Just out of curiosity, for those who want a faster processor, are there any specific reasons why? I'm only asking because I've pretty much put the Torch through everything I could give it and its handled everthing wonderfully so, for me, I couldn't see the Torch benefiting from a faster processor.

oh boy...where do I start with this one...

There's an old saying in the hardware world...a device is only as fast as the slowest / oldest component inside it.

The processor is outdated, and has been used to death by RIM for over 2 years. When you limit a device to something that is just "good enough" there is no push to better the environment that takes advantage of that hardware.

Simply said, if its only good enough, there will not be significant development for it. It will not push the envelope or introduce anything new. New components drives innovation, keeps developers working on pushing the envelope, and keeps the consumer dreaming of new ways to take advantage of those new specs. (Which hopefully translate into a new update, and the cycle repeats)

As it stands now, if I have google maps running in the backround, playing a game of brickbreaker, and receive an email, I get the hour glass. Hour glasses are a big no-no. And thats on my 9700 running os5.

so, add all of the extras of os6 including a webkit browser + touchscreen to the torch, and yet they use the same processor? I've played around with a couple of torches and put them through less daunting tasks...and still it choked. pinch and zoom reminded me of trying to move a mouse through remote access on dial-up.

Now, as for what I'd change:
    (form factor would make it a different phone so it's not mentioned here. Truth be told, I like the portrait slider)

1. Processor (a real missed opportunity...should have been in 800-1ghz range)
    2. Screen Resolution (any improvement would have been encouraging)
    3. Screen size (still too much wasted space..it almost looks like an old tube tv)
    4. RAM (512mb is a minor improvement, but the OS is bigger, as are the apps for it. Doubling RAM every 2-3 years no longer works- it should have been 1gb)
    5. Include a holster (even if it pushes the price up $10...seriously)
    6. Exclusivity - this is the deal breaker for me and is just bad.

Fix those 6 things and package it into a Torch refresh within the next 6 months and you have a real winner.
    10-11-10 11:12 AM
    On the Torch...I love the device. May I please have Flash?!??!? It's the only thing I would like to have on it that I don't currently have.
    Correct me if im wrong but doesnt the Torch web browser have flash enabled??...i havent really had a chance to properly use mine...have had to send it back due to a few build issues but from what i used ie the web browser it was immense ie much better than the previous bb browsers.

Unless your talking about about a physical flash but the 9800 has the led flash on the back.
    10-11-10 11:13 AM
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to Adobe Flash. The 9800 doesn't support it as of yet. It's supposed to....soon, supposedly. But I've read that the current hardware won't be able to handle it.
    Who knows. We'll all see, I suppose.
    10-11-10 11:23 AM
    Not disagreeing or anything but in my experience ie using Android devices with 1ghz cpu's i have to say id rather have a slower cpu than a faster one as the battery life is majorly affected by the faster cpu plus then you have heat issues...my HTC Desire that i sold after having it for a month got stupidly hot during intensive work...even exchanged it and the replacement still got pretty hot after putting it through its paces...much more hotter than my 9700 does when i push it.

So i guess for RIM it was either put a faster cpu in and suffer from poor battery life or put a fast enough cpu in but still have a decent battery life.

If RIM could put a 1ghz cpu in their devices, keep the excellent battery life and keep the heat issue at a minimum then great but i dont think they have been able to do that yet...HTC and other Android manufacturers havent been able to do that yet ie make it efficient.

But i totally agree with you on the other points...i have the 9800 myself and i like it but i do feel some things have been skimped on and the screen res is one of those things...it just doesnt look that good compared to my 9700.

Anyhow lets hope that with the new playbook coming out that RIM are going to get it right in the end...dont get me wrong id love to have a 1ghz+ cpu in a BB device but only if its efficient and having used the latest Droid handsets...i can do without it at the moment.

Will be interesting to see how the playbook copes battery wise with the 1ghz cpu in it...perhaps RIM is using that as a testbed for future BB devices with 1ghz+ cpu's.
    10-11-10 11:26 AM
    I'm sorry, I should have been clearer. I was referring to Adobe Flash. The 9800 doesn't support it as of yet. It's supposed to....soon, supposedly. But I've read that the current hardware won't be able to handle it.
    Who knows. We'll all see, I suppose.
    Oh ok well like i said i was under the impression that the new web kit browser supports flash enabled sites....i dont know if it does straight out of the box or needs an update for it to work...as i said ive had to send mine back for a replacement so will try some flash based sites when i get mine back.
    10-11-10 11:27 AM
    For those wishing for more convenience keys. check out this app by CrackBerry
    Forums Moderator Shao
    . This solves that problem quite handily.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/ope...os-6-a-537088/
    10-11-10 11:35 AM
    my owner/operator!
    10-11-10 06:39 PM
    You can wish in one hand and...The Torch has only been out a couple of months. I like to speculate as much as the next person but I would just like to hear more opinions of new owners and tips/tricks from existing owners. If the Torch were a huge mistake, then I could see the longing for a refresh but the fact that with it running OS .246, the Torch is really much more enjoyable.
    10-11-10 08:38 PM
    I am not a big fan of the gun metal bezels on the Torch (albeit its better than the silver on earlier BBs). I'd like to see a Matte black version with the upcoming white and red. I just cant bring myself to spending $310 for the colorware black softtouch upgrade.
    10-11-10 09:22 PM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD