This might not happen often, but still it happened to me. Check to see the factory seal is one sticker or two. Im talking about the seal that you break before opening the box. I got this phone and the lady opened it and everything was fine, when I go to sit down and play with it I start noticing things: first the seal had two seals, like one had been used and the other someone put over it, the phone did not feel solid, the little wiggle that it has, should be something you have to produce by pushing it and not just wiggle right out of the box. Also, check the back of the phone. It has four screws, one is covered in a blue sticker, which is fine. But on the one I had the other screws look like they had been messed with. Another thing is that te trackad looked worn down, you know like when you touch it a lot, right in the midle had a little spot.
    So, make sure they open a new box in front of you and then check the phone.
    The manager brought me another phone and this phone was brand new. Everything felt solid.
    Oh even the battery on that other phone was at 25%. The battery on the new phone was at 30%. So check that out too.
    09-05-10 10:39 AM
    Thanks for all the help with this guys!
    I'm hoping the Canadian release will be preloaded with .214..

Please note, I'm only listing items that are hardware issues and can't be fixed via OS upgrades.

So far..
    - Ask for one made in Mexico 4 (seems to be the one with less complaints)
    - Check the sliding mechanism very carefully to see if it has any play in it
    - Compare a couple of devices before you purchase
    - Check the bottom portion of Touch screen to ensure functionality
    - Check track pad to ensure functionality
    - Check volume buttons to ensure functionality
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up
    - Listen for "surepress type" clicking noise when using the touch screen with slider closed, seems to be caused by loose slider mechanism
    - Check for consistency in click and feeling of physical keyboard
    - Check to make sure proximity sensor is functioning properly
    09-07-10 09:02 PM
    You need to include OS issues as well. You are not just buying hardware. What good is a solidly built phone if the software does not perform as expected.
    09-07-10 09:42 PM
    I completely agree. What I'm trying to list are the quick things we can check for in the store before we leave. I think most OS issues can be fixed with updates. Just trying to help with the unnecessary returns for glaring issues we could have caught before we left the store.
    09-07-10 10:12 PM
    Thanks for putting this list together! My upgrade with AT&T is in a couple of weeks, so I'll print out this list prior to my visit.
    09-07-10 10:20 PM
    @aziandevil - Not a problem! Hope it helps.. I'm waiting a couple weeks for the Canadian release.. cant wait! Just curious, ATT wont let you upgrade early? Like not even a couple weeks?
    09-07-10 10:36 PM
    @aziandevil - Not a problem! Hope it helps.. I'm waiting a couple weeks for the Canadian release.. cant wait! Just curious, ATT wont let you upgrade early? Like not even a couple weeks?
    Well, September 19th is the "early upgrade"...
    09-08-10 12:38 AM
    These may have already been added.

1) Check for light leaks around the keyboard and buttons.
    2) Make sure that the trackpad is solid and works well.
    3) Make sure that there is no camera rattle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 07:05 AM
    3) Make sure that there is no camera rattle.
    Huh? I have not heard that yet!
    09-08-10 10:54 AM
    Thanks jcp!
    Can you elaborate on the “camera rattle”? This one is news to me.

Please note, I'm only listing items that are hardware issues and can't be fixed via OS upgrades.

So far..
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up
    - Listen for "surepress type" clicking noise when using the touch screen with slider closed, seems to be caused by loose slider mechanism
    - Check for light leaks around the keyboard and buttons
    09-08-10 11:04 AM
    Thanks jcp!
    Can you elaborate on the �camera rattle�? This one is news to me.

So far..
    Just wanted to update this thread. Per the above checklist, I was able to pick out a "winner" (I hope and pray) today at the Milpitas, CA AT&T store:

Looked on the side of the box and it does indeed say "Handheld Made in MEXICO 4".

All the physical attributes seem to check out as well, so I've got my fingers crossed that she's a keeper.

Coming from a Bold 9000, this phone is a very nice upgrade. BES took about 4 minutes to activate. Reboot time is insignificant compared to the 9000 and seeing the 300MB+ of applications memory available is an indescribable feeling (especially after upgrading the Bold to OS5).

I think that the only thing I'm going to miss the most about my 9000 is the "one-handed texting/IM'ing while driving" technique that I've mastered over the last 2 years. This is probably a good thing. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to master it on the 9800 one day...

Thanks again to everyone for all the information on what to look out for before buying this phone.

09-20-10 04:49 PM
    Congratulations and enjoy your new phone

09-20-10 04:52 PM
    The day is getting closer! (we hope hope )

So far..
    09-20-10 07:58 PM
    Great tips, thanks. I'm hoping to get the Torch here soon.

09-24-10 11:52 AM
    Be sure to test the device in the store before walking out. Don't accept the one that they bring out if it doesn't pass your testing.
    09-24-10 11:56 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD