Hey All,

Like many other non-Americans I am eagerly awaiting the 9800 release. I know I am for sure getting one on launch day, but wanted to make sure I walk out of the store with the best Torch possible. I was hoping to compile a list (of known hardware issues) based on your experiences, of what to look for before I walk out of the store. I am sure this thread will be very helpful to many! Thanks for the input!

Please note, I'm only listing items that are hardware issues and can't be fixed via OS upgrades.

So far..
    - Ask for one made in Mexico 4 ( seems to be the one with less complaints)
    - Check the sliding mechanism very carefully to see if it has any play in it
    - Compare a couple of devices before you purchase
    - Check the bottom portion of Touch screen to ensure functionality
    - Check track pad
    - Check volume buttons
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up.
    Last edited by Mikey52; 09-04-10 at 11:23 AM.
    09-04-10 10:41 AM
    try this thread:

if you can ask for the one made in Mexico 4 ( seems to be the one with less complaints)

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/po...origin-514378/
    09-04-10 10:44 AM
    I think the country of origin can help but saying that mine works well and isn't a mexican special.

I'd check the sliding mechanism very carefully to see if it has any play in it. I'd also ask to have a 2nd device available to check see if their are any differences between the two.

Mine has a small amount of play in the slider but I don't really see this as a problem since it doesn't affect anything. Without being offensive to any other members but I do sometimes wonder if people are just being overly anal about small things to do with the phone but on the flipside these things ain't cheap so the customer has a right to be happy with it.

People often report battery problems but that won't be apparent for at least a few days until it's been used.

My top tip would be to check the bottom of the screen to see if it selects stuff as expected but again this may be a software issue as opposed to a design fault.
    09-04-10 10:49 AM
    Thanks for that link Mark, it definitely helps. I hoping to create a consolidated list of items that can be checked before we leave the stores. I know there are a few issues that wont become apparent until we get some use under our belts but I think a nice in-store check list will help eliminate some unnecessary returns.

Thanks Lee that's a great start!
    09-04-10 10:54 AM
    So far...
    09-04-10 10:58 AM
    @ mikey52.. you're very much welcome..
    i know it's 3-4 pages long ( thread) but most of the other members posted what they have noticed in their 9800..
    i think that's a start on your checklist.
    i'm actually excited for you getting the phone..
    09-04-10 10:58 AM
    Just ask them to check it before they get you all setup. My first one had a defective trackball, the second one the volume control buttons did not work and the third one was a charm. It seems perfect so far. It is an amazing phone though and I just had bad luck. You will enjoy it!
    09-04-10 11:03 AM
    Haha Mark, that's awesome of you to say.. I'm so excited! I've been following this damn phone since the rumors! Sept 24 can't come soon enough!
    09-04-10 11:03 AM
    Thanks Omi!

- Check track pad
    - Check volume buttons
    09-04-10 11:05 AM
    Here are a few things, I think as long as you update your first post as time goes on it will be eaier.

1.) Listen for a noise when just putting your finger on the front button panel. My first one made a clacking noise when I lifted my finger and eventually started to peel up in the corners. Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up.

2.) An unusual amount of wobble (left/right) of the screen when it is in closed position and open position. Again mine moves slightly, but only if I PUSH it. It will not shift on its own.

3.) This one is not common, but despite what you hear can happen, if your phone gets hot while you notice you have very bad battery life, your battery may be discharging too fast and may be a faulty battery. I have not had this issue with the torch, but on my storm it would get hot, not warm like usual, but hot. Keep in mind the torch doesn't have the best battery life compared to past blackberries, but with pretty heavy browsing, streaming videos, wifi, and emails/messaging, I get down to about 40 percent by the end of my day.

A few more note to be aware of, when I first got my torch, I had a case that attached to the phone screen and when it broke because the clip wouldn't hold to the phone I took it off and noticed I do have movement when I press the bottom of the screen. It is slight, but noticible when my screen is closed my screen goes down and hits the keyboard. Over time I think after sliding open/closed the device it will happen eventually, I got a new case that surrounds the phone and attaches the top of the case to the back of the case itself. My screen no longer has any wobble as the case won't allow it. My suggestion is, stay away from the case mate cases as they accel the problem with wobble after taking the case off because the clips under the screen constantly force the screen up.

Also if there is a tinny call quality, it is the software on the phone, the fix is to update the os, assuming it will be released on the .141 like it was on at&t. I was saying yesterday I had my signal never staying steady and after I upgraded to the leaked .161 my signal is 4-5 bars and rarely moves.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-04-10 11:05 AM
    Thanks Omi!

- Check track pad
    - Check volume buttons
    and some Tissues.. for an anticipated "Kleenex" moment!
    09-04-10 11:07 AM
    Just ask them to check it before they get you all setup. My first one had a defective trackball, the second one the volume control buttons did not work and the third one was a charm. It seems perfect so far. It is an amazing phone though and I just had bad luck. You will enjoy it!
    Omi! If you have one with a trackball you do have a problem!!
    09-04-10 11:07 AM
    Yours has a trackball? Damn I'm taking mine back and asking for an upgrade....

09-04-10 11:08 AM
    Omi! If you have one with a trackball you do have a problem!!
    Oh damn beaten too it!

Story of my life
    09-04-10 11:08 AM
    oppps I meant track pad.
    09-04-10 11:11 AM
    Thanks for the advice Thanontos! I will update my first post and also paste it throughout the thread for easy finding!
    09-04-10 11:20 AM
    and some Tissues.. for an anticipated "Kleenex" moment!
    Haha! I felt embarrassed to list that..I guess it's ok to cry..
    09-04-10 11:21 AM
    Please note, I'm only listing items that are hardware issues and can't be fixed via OS upgrades.

So far..
    - Check track pad
    - Check volume buttons
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up.
    09-04-10 11:24 AM
    hey Mikey52....you and I are in the same boat. I too have been following this device since the rumors came out and I think I have read darn near every forum thread on this phone. Even though I have only had my 9700 for less then a year,(my first BB) I can't wait until Sept. 24 to get my hands on my new pride and joy. Thanks for starting this list and this thread, it will be a valuable tool for many I am sure. Cheers
    09-04-10 11:33 AM
    Thanks sirk! We can count down to the 25th together! I'm glad you find this useful.
    09-04-10 11:59 AM

So far..
    - Ask for one made in Mexico 4 (seems to be the one with less complaints)
    - Check track pad to ensure functionality
    - Check volume buttons to ensure functionality
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up
    - Listen for "surepress type" clicking noise when using the touch screen with slider closed, seems to be caused by loose slider mechanism
    09-04-10 06:09 PM
    This thread is a great idea Mikey! Thanks!

I'm sure I will use this info when I go...umm 'looking'
    Last edited by North-Face; 09-05-10 at 04:34 AM.
    09-05-10 04:29 AM
    Glad you like it! It's too bad that we need a pre-buy check list, but hey I'd rather take the time in the store. Don't hessitate to list other things..
    09-05-10 08:22 AM
    I would also check for the feel of the physical keyboard... I noticed on my first one that the bottom row had a lighter feel (didn't "click" like the other rows) - I am a touch typist, and "know" that I have pressed the key by the way it feels - I had a hard time telling if I had clicked the buttons on the last row by feel (especially true of the "n", "b", and "v" keys. I traded for a new one that had a consistent feel.
    09-05-10 09:54 AM
    Another good one..Thanks Verdant!

So far..
    - Ask for one made in Mexico 4 (seems to be the one with less complaints)
    - Check track pad to ensure functionality
    - Check volume buttons to ensure functionality
    - Make sure your front panel buttons are flush, or below the screen level and have no loose edges that are peeling up
    - Listen for "surepress type" clicking noise when using the touch screen with slider closed, seems to be caused by loose slider mechanism
    - Check for consistency in click and feeling of physical keyboard
    Last edited by Mikey52; 09-05-10 at 10:41 AM.
    09-05-10 10:38 AM
40 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD