Couple questions about the Torch specifically and WiFi on BB phones.

1. When I turn on WiFi on my phone, what takes precedence - Phone Network or WiFi - or do I have to turn off the connection for the Phone Network to use WiFi and not incur data useage?

For the Touch Screen on the Torch...

1. What is the Tap Interval Rate mean/do
    2. What is the Hover Period mean/do
    3. What is the Swipe Sensitivity mean/do

and....

what is proximity sensor - I've heard it, but of course don't know what it is?

Thanks
    10-07-10 09:45 AM
    I can answer the WiFi and Proximity questions.

With WiFi turned on, the phone uses WiFi for data first. No need to disconnect from your 3G network.

The proximity sensor is what detects when your face is up against the screen on a phone call and ignores any input on the touchscreen (so you don't hang up or press anything inadvertently).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-07-10 09:53 AM
    Proximity Sensor is the component inside the device that interacts with OEM holsters/pouches to put the unit in sleep mode when it's in the holster/pouch. This saves on battery life. It will only work with holsters designed for your particular model. For instance, I upgraded from a BB9000 to a Torch. The Torch fits fine inside the 9000 holster, however since the proximity sensor is in a different place in the Torch, the holster does not put it to sleep.
    Last edited by Pete777; 10-07-10 at 09:58 AM.
    10-07-10 09:56 AM
    Proximity Sensor is the component inside the device that interacts with OEM holsters/pouches to put the unit in sleep mode when it's in the holster/pouch. This saves on battery life. It will only work with holsters designed for your particular model. For instance, I upgraded from a BB9000 to a Torch. The Torch fits fine inside the 9000 holster, however since the proximity sensor is in a different place in the Torch, the holster does not put it to sleep.
    Sorry Pete, you are incorrect. Shifty's answer below is the correct answer for the Torch. There is a magnetic relay in the Torch also that puts it to sleep when a magnet gets next to it, but for the Torch, the proximity sensor is exactly as Shifty explained, though both could be called proximity switches in the true technical sense.
    10-07-10 11:13 PM
    1. What is the Tap Interval Rate mean/do
    Tap Interval is the minimum amount of time required to register a tap. A shorter tap interval will make selections a little quicker.
    2. What is the Hover Period mean/do
    The hover period is the amount of time that is required before a hover event is triggered. A hover event is like when you are organizing your menus and hold down until the pop up comes up.
    3. What is the Swipe Sensitivity mean/do
    How sensitive it is to swiping If you lower it and then try to switch between all and favorites you will notice that you have to swipe longer to switch.
    10-08-10 12:05 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD