I have always been wondering what's the point of 3G or what it's purpose and does it do? I'm really not getting it at all. Does it make the browser faster and everything? Also, I heard that 3G takes up a lot of battery and phone usage. Is that true?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 04:06 PM
    3G does determine the speeds you have while browsing the web or downloading things. It is just a higher speed than 2G and being on 3G does consume the battery faster. My problem is I keep switching between 3G and 2G and it further degrades battery life. Under your network options you can set the phone to only 2G and you will get better battery life at the sacrifice of a slightly slower browsing experience.

11-05-10 04:31 PM
    Why do you keep changing from 3G to 2G when it's much faster then? I have currently changed the option to "3G & 2G" or should I set it to "3G" only?

11-05-10 04:46 PM
    When the phone is set to 2G & 3G, it will pick up a 3G signal whenever possible. If a 3G signal isn't strong enough, it will drop back to 2G (or EDGE). This also consumes more battery, this constant searching for a 3G signal. AT&T doesn't have a 3G only option, but if your network does, then it's your choice to take speed over battery life.

Quite honestly though, 3G is not THAT much faster than 2G, or at least not that I've found. It's helpful for streaming audio and video, but unless you do a lot of that, 3G is not necessary. Since I don't stream much at all, I keep my phone on 2G to preserve battery life.
    11-05-10 05:06 PM
    3G also allows the use of simultaneous voice and data, which means you can talk on the phone and surf, bbm, email, etc. at the same time. You can even tether your laptop for internet and keep using your phone as usual.

11-05-10 05:25 PM
    3G allows you to stream media off the net much more effectively than 2G. Try watching a YouTube video on both network settings and see for yourself.

11-05-10 06:26 PM
    with Sprint 3g is much much much faster, if I see I only have 2g I dont bother doing anything webwise until I have 3g which happens to be almost always
    11-05-10 08:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD