After trying many, many, many, things to see if I could make my battery last at least an entire work day. After fresh OS installs and playing with installed apps, I have finally figured out the culprit!

My H+ connection.

For the past week I have been leaving it on 2G and charting my battery usage. I have now managed to get "Normal" battery readings graphed, with a drain rate of 4.12% an hour. This is obviously less than optimal though, since 2G loads at a crawl. Now I am able to take my phone off the charger at 8 am and it still have ~30% remaining at 12 am when I go to bed.

I am planning on calling Rogers at some point because I want to inquire about a device switch. I have LTE service and I should be able to use it. I am hoping this is just a device issue and I can swap it out with a device that will allow me to use the LTE on my phone, as Im sure its not a 9810 wide problem.

Anyone on the LTE network experiencing crap battery time? Im talking 100% @ 8 am to less than 10% by 1-3 pm?
    Last edited by myfairkadie; 01-31-12 at 09:28 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake
    01-31-12 02:45 PM
    Your findings are interesting since the 9810 is not a true LTE 4g phone. On AT&T, my phone says 4G, but I know it is really 3.5. My battery life drains around 3.9% per hour so far today. However, the city I live in has a strong carrier signal. But even when my switches to EDGE when I travel, I do not experience the battery drain you have.
    01-31-12 03:13 PM
    I'm on Rogers in Canada, maybe I should change that to read H+? My phone is constantly on H+ if selected and I was told by Rogers that its considered an LTE connection.

Regardless, its pretty disheartening to have that be the cause of my battery drain. I'm wondering if I should persue switching devices?
    01-31-12 03:26 PM
    Switch to H+. If you are in an area that does not have 4G (H+), it will automatically go to the highest setting that it can connect to. At least that has been my experience. I wouldn't think battery drain would come from that though.
    I believe NewCollector is correct. the 9810 is not an LTE phone. At least mine isn't.
    01-31-12 04:58 PM
    I'm pretty sure there are no BlackBerry LTE phones at this time. Mine may say 4G, but it's really HSPA+.
    01-31-12 06:53 PM
    I'm pretty sure there are no BlackBerry LTE phones at this time. Mine may say 4G, but it's really HSPA+.
    Okay well as I stated above, I was told it was LTE by a Rogers rep. She was mistaken, and in turn, so am I.

I will change my post to reflect that so I can get some actual feedback, instead of people focusing on my mistake.
    01-31-12 09:27 PM
    OP, I'm sorry, I was not ripping on you at all.

Some cell reps have very limited knowledge concerning the products they are giving advice on, all they do is read a script on their computer.

What OS version are you running, and how is the signal in your area? It sounds like your phone may be "Signal Hunting" and that can drain a battery pretty quickly.

Again, I'm sorry you took my post as an attack.
    newcollector likes this.
    02-01-12 08:35 AM
    OP, I'm sorry, I was not ripping on you at all.

Some cell reps have very limited knowledge concerning the products they are giving advice on, all they do is read a script on their computer.

What OS version are you running, and how is the signal in your area? It sounds like your phone may be "Signal Hunting" and that can drain a battery pretty quickly.

Again, I'm sorry you took my post as an attack.
    Its okay! It happens with the internet. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

When I have it on H+ and EDGE, both have full signal strength. I am running 7.1.0.190 currently but even before when I was on 7.0.xxx I still had the same issue.
    02-01-12 08:44 AM
    I know this sounds strange, but are you running an old sd card in your phone? I seem to remember that sometimes there have been issues with sd cards causing problems (though I think it may be more related to sluggishness). Have you tried using a different battery?
    02-01-12 09:16 AM
    I know this sounds strange, but are you running an old sd card in your phone? I seem to remember that sometimes there have been issues with sd cards causing problems (though I think it may be more related to sluggishness). Have you tried using a different battery?
    Its not OLD, maybe a year. Its been formatted a few times since then, too. I have tried 3 different batteries, as a matter of fact.
    02-01-12 09:30 AM
    Isn't this a common complaint on all 4g/hspa + phones?
    02-01-12 09:44 AM
    Isn't this a common complaint on all 4g/hspa + phones?
    Maybe, but reading these forums, 5 hours of battery time is not normal.
    02-01-12 10:10 AM
    Maybe, but reading these forums, 5 hours of battery time is not normal.
    5 hours of standby time is not normal by any stretch of the imagination. My percentage of battery drain is somewhere between 3% and 4% per hour. When I am in my home city, I am continually on fauxG, usually with a pretty strong signal. I have read your other posts about your battle to figure the issue out, and it sure is a quandry. It just doesn't make sense.

This has to be frustrating because everything I think of you seem to have already addressed.

To review, you have checked out the apps you have loaded and none of them is the culprit, correct? None are set to update regularly in the background like Facebook or BerryWeather or ScoreMobile? Not saying they are left open, but the settings within the app for updating info. You have tried all your batteries and they all experience the same drain in this device, correct?

What do the details show after running the battery drain too quickly test in BlackBerry Device Analyzer?
    02-01-12 11:34 AM
    5 hours of standby time is not normal by any stretch of the imagination. My percentage of battery drain is somewhere between 3% and 4% per hour. When I am in my home city, I am continually on fauxG, usually with a pretty strong signal. I have read your other posts about your battle to figure the issue out, and it sure is a quandry. It just doesn't make sense.

This has to be frustrating because everything I think of you seem to have already addressed.

To review, you have checked out the apps you have loaded and none of them is the culprit, correct? None are set to update regularly in the background like Facebook or BerryWeather or ScoreMobile? Not saying they are left open, but the settings within the app for updating info. You have tried all your batteries and they all experience the same drain in this device, correct?

What do the details show after running the battery drain too quickly test in BlackBerry Device Analyzer?
    Definitely checked my apps. Theyre down to bare minimum and nothing is set to update itself within the app. FB and BeWeather are set to update manually.

I experience the same drain on all batteries.

Device analyzer says I have a high battery drain rate of 8.16% per hour and has been as high as 10+%, while on H+, on standby with little use. Now that Ive been on EDGE for a week (and hating it) I have jumped in to the "normal" drain rate of 3.87% per hour, with heavy use (BBM, listening to music, occasional web browsing. ITS BEEN NICE TO ACTUALLY USE MY PHONE!! )
    02-01-12 01:11 PM
    Did you run the details after doing the battery drain test to see what was the main culprit in your excessive drain? I think you might want to contact RIM on this one to see if they have had anyone report something similar. It is mind boggling to have that kind of drain! Even though you can use the phone on EDGE, you certainly aren't enjoying the benefits of faster browser that comes with 7.1.

I seem to remember that you even tried upgrading to 7.1.205 and got the same results. Am I remembering correctly?
    02-01-12 01:58 PM
    Did you run the details after doing the battery drain test to see what was the main culprit in your excessive drain? I think you might want to contact RIM on this one to see if they have had anyone report something similar. It is mind boggling to have that kind of drain! Even though you can use the phone on EDGE, you certainly aren't enjoying the benefits of faster browser that comes with 7.1.

I seem to remember that you even tried upgrading to 7.1.205 and got the same results. Am I remembering correctly?
    It says BeBuzz is draining at 2.06% and then the others are less than 1%. Is that an hour?

I have not gone up to 7.1.205 yet. Is it really worth trying? I cant imagine it would make a difference when so many OS upgrades haven't.

How would I get in touch with RIM? I tried calling Rogers about a different phone but all they do is ask me why I don't get an iPhone or Android instead. Then they offer to send me a refurbished 9810.
    02-01-12 02:07 PM
    Getting the refurbished 9810 might not be a bad idea. From what others have posted, the refurbs are usually in great condition and obviously work better than the ones they replace.

If you go to RIM (after doing some checking), it will cost you $49 per incident.

Did you highlight the different areas of the graph that shows the drain and then hit the trackpad? You can highlight in hour increments. After you highlight and then select, if you hit details it will give the percent drain of each item mentioned for that time period (I think that is right).

But with everything you have done, I really think you should take Rogers on their offer to give you a refurb 9810, especially since their tech department can't help you.
    02-01-12 03:38 PM
    Getting the refurbished 9810 might not be a bad idea. From what others have posted, the refurbs are usually in great condition and obviously work better than the ones they replace.

If you go to RIM (after doing some checking), it will cost you $49 per incident.

Did you highlight the different areas of the graph that shows the drain and then hit the trackpad? You can highlight in hour increments. After you highlight and then select, if you hit details it will give the percent drain of each item mentioned for that time period (I think that is right).

But with everything you have done, I really think you should take Rogers on their offer to give you a refurb 9810, especially since their tech department can't help you.
    I just got off the phone with Rogers. Theyre sending me a brand new phone. *crosses fingers*

Now, do I do a switch device or? Im worried if its a settings problem it will carry over.
    02-01-12 04:57 PM
    Congrats on the new phone! I think you will be okay to do the switch device. I did when I went from my 9800 to the 9810, but I did not move my apps over. Thankfully I had read here on the forums that doing so could cause problems because of incompatibility of some apps. Though it takes longer, reinstall your apps from AppWorld.

Post how the new phone performs, will you?
    02-01-12 07:24 PM
    Trust me...it's H+. When I got 9810's for myself and my wife, we both noticed this immediately. I switched to EDGE only and have had great battery life. I only use H+ when I do bandwidth-intensive stuff. I'm happy. Battery life is more important to me.
    02-01-12 08:18 PM
    I am running Rogers with 9810. Compared to my previous 9800 the battery life does sort of stink, but, I can at least get through a day. Unplugged today at 730am and it is essentially midnight with 24%. What bugs me a bit is my battery experiences fluctuate wildly from day-to-day despite my reasonably consistent usage. However, I have a charger at work for my other BB so it is all good.

Hope your new 9810 works for you
    02-01-12 11:51 PM
    Trust me...it's H+. When I got 9810's for myself and my wife, we both noticed this immediately. I switched to EDGE only and have had great battery life. I only use H+ when I do bandwidth-intensive stuff. I'm happy. Battery life is more important to me.
    But if it is H+ that is causing the battery drain, then why are not more people experiencing myfairkadie's type of battery drain? I am on H+ 90% of the time and consistently average 3-4% drain per hour. I might see that issue if you are in a weak coverage area where the phone is constantly trying to get a good signal so that it is switching, but is that true in major metropolitan areas like Montreal or Louisville or even in little hamlets like Manitoba?
    02-02-12 06:36 AM
    But if it is H+ that is causing the battery drain, then why are not more people experiencing myfairkadie's type of battery drain? I am on H+ 90% of the time and consistently average 3-4% drain per hour. I might see that issue if you are in a weak coverage area where the phone is constantly trying to get a good signal so that it is switching, but is that true in major metropolitan areas like Montreal or Louisville or even in little hamlets like Manitoba?
    It could be. I'm near the top of a hill in a major city. Because of the terrain, I have hill, brick duplexes and commercial buildings between me and the nearest tower. About the same in another 90 degrees to the next closest tower. I only need to go a couple of blocks away for MUCH better reception.
    02-02-12 08:16 AM
    Will definitely report back with my findings. 2 questions, if you please.

If I do a device switch, how do I prevent it from loading my apps?
    Can I load .205 on the new device first, and then do a device switch? Or should I do a device switch and then upgrade?

Thanks a lot for all your help guys. Can't wait to get a new phone, hope I have better luck with this one.
    02-02-12 01:27 PM
    Dont you have an option in the DM to not transfer applications during a device switch?

You could just do a regular backup of the old phone, then restore on the new phone.

edit: yep, you have an option to disable transferring applications in the DM.

If i were you, i would start clean. Make a data backup of your old device, update the new one and uncheck backup and restore data during the update process (since you already backed it up manually), then do a selective restore of the databases on the new device.
    Last edited by gbsn; 02-02-12 at 02:29 PM.
    02-02-12 02:25 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD