Hi, I recently brought a Blackberry Torch from a private sale. It was locked to ROGERS so I had to unlock it to be able to use it with FIDO. Recently, the speaker have been acting weird. I tryed everything and seems as its a hardware issue.

The guy told me there was a warranty valid since he only used it for less than 2 months. They only needed the IMEI in order to know if a warranty would be valid.

Can I use my friend ( since his rogers ) to have it fixed or will they know it was unlocked and refuse my warranty ?
    12-15-10 08:03 AM
    I have no idea about locked vs unlocked but rogers should have a 30 day exchange and a 1 year repair warrenrty. I would just not mention it when I bought it in. They probably would not even notice/dont care.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 08:59 AM
    I would suspect like any other purchase they will ask for the original bill of sale. If you had service with Rogers most likely they would not as for the BoS since they easily pull up your account. I suspect you will get nothing from the carrier but help contacting RIM.

12-15-10 09:03 AM
    Well actually they will notice and thats one of the first things that they look when they are trying to repair.

I believe that if it is unlocked the warranty is VOID. Not sure. If you try it out, report back so you can help others.
    12-15-10 09:03 AM
    Unlocking the device shouldn't have anything to do with the warranty. On the other hand your not the original purchaser nor do you carry service with rogers. I think rogers will tell you to take a flying leap, you would be better off trying to get a warranty replacement from RIM.
    12-15-10 09:05 AM
    It has been reported many times for several devices that Canadian carriers are a little sticky on warranties when it comes to removing the subsidy lock.

12-15-10 09:06 AM
    Well that is why I was gonna ask to my friend who is currenty with rogers to call for repair.

I dont have the receipt since it was purchased from a private sell. How Can I get assistance from RIM if I dont even have any receipt ?
    12-15-10 09:22 AM
    I'm not sure how you would go about contacting RIM for the warranty as I've never had to do this. AT&T has always taken care of me with any issues I've had with a device.

If your "friend" has service with rogers and has a torch on his plan and will do it for you. I don't think he'll need a receipt, although they may check the pin of the device against his account.
    12-15-10 09:25 AM
    Rogers recently changed their policy and will unlock a device for $50: Rogers and Fido start new policy: Will unlock your device for $50 | MobileSyrup.com

That said, I don't believe unlocking will have any effect on warranty. Getting them to service it through a friends account might be a different story.

Keep us posted.
    12-15-10 09:31 AM
    Ill be using my friend with his rogers account to have it repaired. She will pretend se didnt know it was unlocked if they try it on spot. tho one thing is sure, I dont see any other solution, since I didnt see any local store here in Montreal that can fix bb Torch.
    12-15-10 09:35 AM
    Good luck with it. But as I stated before they may check her account against the pin of the device and if she doesn't have a BB plan on her account......

keep us up to date though, will be interesting to see if they warranty it or not.
    12-15-10 09:36 AM
    I dont think the BBplan is important for a warranty as she can claim that she brought it from a person who had a warranty. She has a data plan but not a BB Plan.

ill update soon enough.
    Last edited by lioxx; 12-15-10 at 09:44 AM.
    12-15-10 09:39 AM
    Don't get your friend into trouble. They will find out that she did not buy that blackberry from rogers (no matter if the phone is from rogers, it will not show up on her account). I know you are trying to safe couple box, but you can get her into trouble, specially if the guys that sold you the phone, tell rogers that his phone is stolen... and then your friend trying to get a warranty on a stolen phone...

The only way I could see this working is if the guys that sold you the phone call them to ask for a warranty repair, not you, not your friend.
    12-15-10 09:57 AM
    Well I did try, and the first thing they ask is the phone number and line, I tryed to talk to customer support but they need me to put a Rogers Sim. Unless I get a prepaid Rogers Account and try to get it RMA. They wont do anything on the phone to help me since I dont have any account with them.

I think ill try with prepaid first and see how it goes from there.
    12-15-10 10:08 AM
    Wow. So much bad info or suggestions in this thread!

You are with Fido. Call them and say your blackberry device is acting up and you need a replacement. You say you bought it privately. They should issue you a replacement as all carriers have an agreement with RIM to take care of replacements themselves (in Canada I know of)

Good luck.

12-15-10 11:44 AM
    Wow. So much bad info or suggestions in this thread!

You are with Fido. Call them and say your blackberry device is acting up and you need a replacement. You say you bought it privately. They should issue you a replacement as all carriers have an agreement with RIM to take care of replacements themselves (in Canada I know of)

Good luck.

How can Fido issue a replacement when they don't carry the Torch!?
    12-15-10 12:55 PM
    How can Fido issue a replacement when they don't carry the Torch!?

they will give you matches, a piece of wood, a piece of cloth and some gas, so you can create your own torch.
    12-15-10 01:06 PM
    ^ well that was useless posting right there. Took up the whole screen.

Anyways. What Fido should do is a replacement from RIM themselves. What I was told from a corporate rep is that whoever your carrier is, is the one who processes the replacement.

This is another reason why I go with Rogers. They carry every phone I would want. No issues replacing for warranty issues.

I know for a fact RIM will just tell you to call your service provider as they sell the devices wholesale to the carriers like Rogers and then they deal with it.

Ok. Now how to get it replaced. Have your friend go into the Rogers store. Say they bought that phone privately and want to add it to the account. They will scan the IMEI and see its all good and add that serial to their account. They will then in a week call and say they have issues with the device and need a replacememnt. It doesn't matter how you buy it. Blackberries carry a 1 year warrenty. You just need Rogers to replace it since they will get the credit from RIM for the non functioning device. I just did this same scenario with my 9700 but I went to the store with the person who bought it from me.

12-15-10 03:28 PM
    Its funny how simple it looks like, but im pretty sure they will ask me ''did you purchased your blackberry with us '' and since its a NO and its a TORCH wich is a product they dont even carry then its pointeless.

ill give a try on that but im 100% sure they wont take it for RMA since it wasnt purchased with them, nor have any bill.
    12-16-10 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD