I do like the Social Feeds application. It makes RRS articles easy to read and navigate between with on-screen gestures.

However, there are some features that I notice are lacking and I'm looking for an alternate application that has these features:
    - storage of articles on the device so I can read them on the subway
    - ability to have read articles show differently than unread articles
    - ability to save articles
    - ability to mark articles as read (individual or "mark prior read")
    - full text of articles (there are some articles that I'm sure are truncated at source, and I know there are some that i used to get in full with Viigo that are truncated with Social Feeds.)

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
    10-18-10 06:24 PM
    BerryReader is the best one available, but it's not free.
    10-18-10 06:28 PM
    You could try upvise.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 06:42 PM
    thanks, papped. since berryreader (i assume this is the same as bereader) seems to be so well regarded, and since it has a 7-day trial, i may give it a try. what makes it better than viigo in your opinion? does it meet all the points i mentioned in my op?

xand..., upvise doesn't seem to be an rss reader. am i missing something?

j
    10-18-10 08:23 PM
    Basically it's a different beast than Viigo, because everything sync's 2 ways with google reader.

Expect some adaption time. The UI flow is different (you have to bring up the feeds list to change feeds, you can't just press Back to go back to the list of feeds). So expect some learning curve from Viigo.

But the main difference is since EVERYTHING syncs from GR, whatever you read on your GR account from anywhere is reflected in the app. Basically any changes to the GR account sync both ways with the app (new rss feeds, read status, etc).

They have a setting in the options to preload images for offline use, but I don't use it tbh so not too sure on the offline options.

It has options for individual mark read (you can just click on the article to open it) and it has "Mark All Read" which marks whatever is currently visible read.

Has options to star articles, which adds them to your "starred items"
    10-18-10 08:38 PM
    thanks again papped. i've downloaded the latest public beta for the torch and will see how it works on my next subway ride. so far, it looks good.

j
    10-19-10 09:14 AM
    Basically it's a different beast than Viigo, because everything sync's 2 ways with google reader.

Expect some adaption time. The UI flow is different (you have to bring up the feeds list to change feeds, you can't just press Back to go back to the list of feeds). So expect some learning curve from Viigo.

But the main difference is since EVERYTHING syncs from GR, whatever you read on your GR account from anywhere is reflected in the app. Basically any changes to the GR account sync both ways with the app (new rss feeds, read status, etc).

They have a setting in the options to preload images for offline use, but I don't use it tbh so not too sure on the offline options.

It has options for individual mark read (you can just click on the article to open it) and it has "Mark All Read" which marks whatever is currently visible read.

Has options to star articles, which adds them to your "starred items"
    Does Viigo work on the Torch?
    10-19-10 09:36 AM
    If you use Google Reader (and I highly recommend doing so as it makes organizing your RSS feeds 10x easier) I would recommend Feeds. I searched high and low for something similar to you, and found Feeds the best. It has straight stream-lined integration with GR and the UI is nice. It has all the features you're looking for.
    10-21-10 04:48 PM
    well, i think i hit a show stopper with BerryReader. i can't switch feeds while in off-line mode. this means i can only read one feed on the subway or i have to use the "all items" view which becomes a giant laundry-list of articles.

ovrclock, does Feeds sync all articles to the device and allow full functionality when in off-line mode, like when on a subway or airplane?

thanks,

j
    10-25-10 11:35 AM
    There is always FreeRange:-

FreeRange, (ota link-> http://mwap.at/ )

I think it can do pretty much everything you're looking for, specifically downloading the full article and storing it. It doesn't sync with Google reader, but you can export to/import from it.

Bear in mind that whilst it says the free version restricts you to 10 feeds, this isn't the case. I have more than 10 feeds, no problem at all.

Hope that this helps.

barljo
    10-25-10 03:13 PM
    thanks, barljo. i checked out the web site for freerange and it presents the off-line reading as a feature where i have to read the headlines and select the specific articles that i want to read off-line. is this the way that it works?
    10-25-10 07:10 PM
    BerryReader is the best one available, but it's not free.
    Ditto. BerryReader is a great RSS reader. Use it all the time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-25-10 07:38 PM
    thanks, barljo. i checked out the web site for freerange and it presents the off-line reading as a feature where i have to read the headlines and select the specific articles that i want to read off-line. is this the way that it works?
    There's an option for each individual feed to Automatically Download Full Stories During Update, so it should work if you check that box (default is no). It's under properties when you have an individual feed highlighted.

Not something I've checked out whether it works, but the rest of Freerange works well, so I would guess it's worth a try. Especially as it's free! It's tricky for me to test as I have a 5 minute drive to and from work with good coverage...

Barljo
    10-26-10 02:56 AM
    thanks, barljo. i'll give it a try.

j
    10-26-10 12:00 PM
    I tried freerange and for now it's the winner:
    - storage of articles on the device so I can read them on the subway. Check.
    - ability to have read articles show differently than unread articles. Check.
    - ability to save articles. Check.
    - ability to mark articles as read (individual or "mark prior read"). Can't do "mark prior read" just individual or all in a feed. Close enough.
    - full text of articles. Check.
    - free. Check.

And it syncs up to Google Reader. The only thing it's lacking is a good GUI optimized for touch screen and the Torch's landscape mode.

Viigo would have been the winner if not for the need to double click each article to re-size the font.

Social Feeds has the nicest user interface/integration with the Torch.

BeReader would have been the winner if it could only save all articles on the device. Yes, even for $10. Take note BerryReader developers.

Thanks again, Barljo!

J
    10-26-10 05:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD