Hi-I'm considering my 1st BB purchase. Here's my situation. My hubby is an IT guru and loves the latest and greatest gadgets. I don't get all of the gadgetry and gee whiz factor. Hubby has purchased me every cell phone/PDA I have owned and because they are usually over-engineered I tend to be unable to use them how I would like. He finally said choose your own this time (though he wanted me to get a Droid).

I did the research and decided the BB Bold 9780 would be right for me-primarly because touch screens are just really hard, the BB seemed easy to navigate and use, I loved the stand-by life and the 5mp camera . He liked my choice but our carrier (AT & T) doesn't offer the 9780. He really wants me to go with the Torch but I am hesitant so we thought we'd ask here for some opinions.

I tried the Torch at the store and the trackpad seemed like it wasn't raised as much as the Curve or Bold so it felt like I was still working on the touch screen when I was using the TP. (Touch screens are very hard for me to use and I really didn't want one.) Also it seemed to me the keys are smaller and more recessed on the keyboard making it more difficult to type on than the Bold. This made it seem like although the Torch is advertised as being able to be used as a traditional BB or a touch screen device it was more functional as a touchscreen device.

Does anyone have any thoughts on purchasing the Bold if you are going to be a trackpad/keyboard user only? Also, has anyone who has trouble using touchscreens decided to go with the Torch? If so did you find you were able to adapt or do you wish you had gone with a different purchase? Do you find the keyboard usable or if you are really going to be a keyboarder rather than using the touch screen keyboard is the Torch not an ideal phone?

Thanks for your help. I really don't want to get another phone and not really use it.

Jennifer

P.S. Right now my options from AT&T are the Torch, Pearl 3G, Bold 9000, Curve 8520, 8900 & 3G.
    Last edited by jtmwife; 12-28-10 at 12:32 PM.
    12-28-10 12:12 PM
    I've had both the torch and the 9780.
    There are plenty of threads on this subject. I will tell you this: ever since I ditched my torch for the 9780 I haven't looked back since.
    As I have stated many times before, if you can live with the wobbly screen then get the torch. Touch screen and the large screen is awsome but dissapointing as it could have had better resolution. I can't believe I'm saying this but if you want a real touch screen experience buy an iphone! If you wanrt a REAL blackberry experience along with OS 6 get the 9780.

Hi-I'm considering my 1st BB purchase. Here's my situation. My hubby is an IT guru and loves the latest and greatest gadgets. I don't get all of the gadgetry and gee whiz factor. Hubby has purchased me every cell phone/PDA I have owned and because they are usually over-engineered I tend to be unable to use them how I would like. He finally said choose your own this time (though he wanted me to get a Droid).

I did the research and decided the BB Bold 9780 would be right for me-primarly because touch screens are just really hard, the BB seemed easy to navigate and use, I loved the stand-by life and the 5mp camera . He liked my choice but our carrier (AT & T) doesn't offer the 9780. He really wants me to go with the Torch but I am hesitant so we thought we'd ask here for some opinions.

I tried the Torch at the store and the trackpad seemed like it wasn't raised as much as the Curve or Bold so it felt like I was still working on the touch screen when I was using the TP. (Touch screens are very hard for me to use and I really didn't want one.) Also it seemed to me the keys are smaller and more recessed on the keyboard making it more difficult to type on than the Bold. This made it seem like although the Torch is advertised as being able to be used as a traditional BB or a touch screen device it was more functional as a touchscreen device.

Does anyone have any thoughts on purchasing the Bold if you are going to be a trackpad/keyboard user only? Also, has anyone who has trouble using touchscreens decided to go with the Torch? If so did you find you were able to adapt or do you wish you had gone with a different purchase? Do you find the keyboard usable or if you are really going to be a keyboarder rather than using the touch screen keyboard is the Torch not an ideal phone?

Thanks for your help. I really don't want to get another phone and not really use it.

Jennifer

P.S. Right now my options from AT&T are the Torch, Pearl 3G, Bold 9000, Curve 8520, 8900 & 3G.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-10 02:00 PM
    I've had both the torch and the 9780.
    There are plenty of threads on this subject. I will tell you this: ever since I ditched my torch for the 9780 I haven't looked back since.
    As I have stated many times before, if you can live with the wobbly screen then get the torch. Touch screen and the large screen is awsome but dissapointing as it could have had better resolution. I can't believe I'm saying this but if you want a real touch screen experience buy an iphone! If you wanrt a REAL blackberry experience along with OS 6 get the 9780.

If you have/had a wobbly screen then you got a bad one. Mine's rock solid. Don't make it sound like that's a problem with all of them. The resolution is a great compromise for a phone whose primary purpose is messaging, secondarily for web-browsing. Nothing wrong with the touch screen either. iPhone is a nice piece of kit, but the big downside is its ongoing antenna and reception issues when squeezed too tightly in the wrong place.

BB = rock solid. Apple = want to hit it on a solid rock.
    12-28-10 02:07 PM
    I love my Torch and have no problems with any wobbles or wiggles. I also love touchscreen devices.

If you know that you don't care for touchscreen devices then I wouldn't get it because you will not be happy. My husband has a Bold and it's a great phone! Maybe you could get the Bold that came before this latest one..I forget all the model numbers....LOL Ok, I just grabbed his phone and looked. He has a Bold 9650.
    jtmwife likes this.
    12-28-10 02:24 PM
    If you really don't like the touch screen and you can live with a 3.2 mp camera instead of 5 mp, I'd say go with the Bold 9700.

12-28-10 02:35 PM
    The Torch replaced my Bold 9000. I reisted touch screen devices for years. The Torch made me a convert to the device at least. I still prefer the keyboard for typing. But touch navigation is a wonder withj some of the current themes.

12-28-10 02:40 PM
    The Torch replaced my Bold 9000. I reisted touch screen devices for years. The Torch made me a convert to the device at least. I still prefer the keyboard for typing. But touch navigation is a wonder withj some of the current themes.

Well said. I find the 9800 to be the best of both worlds. Previously owned the 83xx series, 8900, 9000, and 9700. I had an i4 just prior to getting the 9800. While it isnt quite as good at multimedia as the i4, it more than makes up for it with it's communication abilities.
    12-28-10 02:46 PM
    Ive had 6 of them ALL with a wobbly screen! You may either be lucky or unaware that yours wobbles too! Sorry the phone sucks and yes it is a problem with all of them!

If you have/had a wobbly screen then you got a bad one. Mine's rock solid. Don't make it sound like that's a problem with all of them. The resolution is a great compromise for a phone whose primary purpose is messaging, secondarily for web-browsing. Nothing wrong with the touch screen either. iPhone is a nice piece of kit, but the big downside is its ongoing antenna and reception issues when squeezed too tightly in the wrong place.

BB = rock solid. Apple = want to hit it on a solid rock.
    12-28-10 04:03 PM
    I got a Torch a few days ago and am using mostly the keyboard and the trackpad. I'm not a fan of the touchscreen but I do like the large screen size.

I like the 9800 keyboard better than I like the 9700's, but I've got big hands and had a hard time hitting the right key with the angled keys on the 9700.

I'm not 100% sure I'll keep the Torch, but I probably will - partly because switching is such a hassle.
    jtmwife likes this.
    12-28-10 04:25 PM
    yes it is a problem with all of them!

No, it's not.
    12-28-10 04:46 PM
    Jennifer

I tend to be unable to use them how I would like.
    This to me is where you need to start. Ask yourself how you want to use your device. If you do lots of emails, any BB wins hands down. If you do Facebook and Twitter, the Social Feeds in OS6 are hard to beat. I love the FB feeds on my 9800. If your use is going to be web surfing, games, and multimedia, there are better options out there than the 9800, but the Torch does do all that albeit not as well as the IP4 and some of the Android phones. The 9800 also handles MMS a bit differently. When I receive an MMS from someone that has a picture with sound, the sound file is usually a separate attachment rather than playing automatically along with the picture when I open it. Depending on what the sound is, I find that to be an advantage sometimes

because touch screens are just really hard
    I was wondering why you didn't like touchscreens? I'm not a fan of touch screen KB's and have never really used a TS device till the 9800 (had an HTC Tilt2 for a month and it was touch only). I was kind of in the same frame of mind as you regarding TS's, but the combo of the TS with the track pad makes the 9800 just about ideal. I now find it to be the best of both worlds. I mainly use the track pad for most everything, just using the touch screen for swiping between screens, emails, pictures, and the like. Rarely use the touch screen KB except for very brief text messages. Much prefer a real KB. If you have long nails, I could see where the touch screen might be harder to use, at least for the TS KB.

I loved the stand-by life and the 5mp camera
    Standby is not as good on the 9800 but still fairly decent. The 5mp camera is decent enough and at least you get a flash. I charge every night and also have a car charger (which has yet to be used) and can go easily through a 10 or 12 hour day without having to charge. Try doing that with an iPhone or Android device.

The trackpad is more flatter to the surface but between the 9800 and the 9700 my wife uses for work, I can't really tell much difference. At least it's not a trackball. I had problems with those on both my Pearl and my Bold 9000. For sure the keys are recessed more on the Torch due to the slider factor. Again, anyone with long fingernails might have a hard time typing on it. The top row of keys is a bit cramped but it hasn't seemed to bother me much. I've used a friends Curve 8900 a couple of times and prefer the Torch KB to his Curve though. IMO the Bold 9000 has the best KB of any BB. I loved that big KB on it but I just got tired of the small screen. I feel the same way about the screen on the 9700 too. If you do a lot of web surfing, that small screen makes it hard to navigate around pages. Again that's just my opinion. While the 9800 doesn't have the biggest screen out there, it's still quite usable for web surfing especially with the new webkit browser.

So far with my 9800, I'm a 90 percent TP / KB user. The other times the touchscreen. I'm starting to adapt more to the touchscreen and like I said above, I find the combo of both TS and TP to be ideal now after using the 9800 for 4 months. Took me a few days to adapt to the size and recess on the slider KB but now no problems.

I can understand that. One of the better things about AT&T is you get 30 days to decide. Give the Torch a try. My guess is you'll like it. If not, take it back.

These are just my opinion's

Pearl - great phone small screen.

Bold 9000 - BEST BB KB! Unless they changed it recently, the browser is subpar. Don't know if it will get OS6 or not.

Curve 8520 - good solid BB but I don't know if it has wi-fi and runs on EDGE no 3g. They make a 3g one but I don't think it's the 8520. Not sure if it will get OS6.

8900 - decent enough has wi-fi but runs on EGDE again no 3g on that one and not sure if it will get OS6.

Lower res cameras on those too.

Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know how you make out with your choice.
    12-28-10 05:31 PM
    Ive had 6 of them ALL with a wobbly screen! You may either be lucky or unaware that yours wobbles too! Sorry the phone sucks and yes it is a problem with all of them!
    "Wobble" is NOT a problem with all Torches. There are plenty of people in this forum that can attest to that - I am one of them. Just because there is no wobble, it doesn't mean that it was by luck or that people are apparently unaware.

12-28-10 05:45 PM
    "Wobble" is NOT a problem with all Torches. There are plenty of people in this forum that can attest to that - I am one of them. Just because there is no wobble, it doesn't mean that it was by luck or that people are apparently unaware.
    I agree with you....mine doesn't wobble either. If anything, the people's that DO wobble are the UNlucky ones
    12-28-10 10:10 PM
    I love my 9800 best BB ever. I had the 9000 and after that had the 9700 I always missed my 900 until I got my torch.
    I'm a bb abuser email a lot fot my work and my torch goes almost all day with out charging but I always carry a car charger for any emergency.

Give it a try if you don't like it send it back.

12-28-10 10:43 PM
    Honestly find that hard to believe. Exaggerating maybe? Mine doesn't wobble. Then again I didn't get it at launch, which is where most of the supposed defective ones came out of. Also, I am not too hard on my slider, which I'm assuming YOU were since you went through supposedly SIX of them? ...

For the OP .. I am someone who really didn't like touch screens, but loved BB's. I agree with whomever said that it's the best of both worlds. I found the touch screen easily adaptable, the keyboard seems no different than my previous phone (9700), and the new OS seems a perfect fit. I had debated whether to wait for the OS for the 9700, but felt it would take more work to navigate on that device. Navigation on the torch is a breeze and I am so satisfied with my choice.

12-28-10 11:50 PM
    Be patient a little longer and ATT will get the 9780... They need to hurry up already!

That's the reason they aren't offering the 9700 anymore though.

12-29-10 12:00 AM
    I am not a fan of touch screens, especially for typing.

I think the torch offers a very good compromise between large screen, and physical keypad. I find that i'm using the touch screen a bit more now that i've had the phone for a couple months, but still mostly the trackpad and keypad.

good luck!
    12-29-10 12:43 AM
    Here is my story:

I had a Bold 9000, got sick of its slow performance as it only had 128 MB of memory.

Then I bought a 9700, I was much happier with it as it had 256 MB of memory, and although the screen was a bit smaller, the higher pixel resolution and clarity makes up for it. Keyboard were good on both, big hard buttons.

Then I got tempted to get the 9780 as OS 6 would perform much smoother on the 9780 as it has 512 MB of memory, but it wasn't getting released anytime during the month of September, so I did the biggest mistake, I got the Torch!

I was playing with the Torch for the first 3 days non stop, I enjoyed the touch screen, it was cool to think that you can touch the screen to select stuff!

However, come to real world usability; why does one buy a BlackBerry? Mostly due to the excellent push email feature, and the BlackBerry Messenger, I thought oh well, I have a physical keyboard, so I can type easily no need to type on the touch screen.

Here was my disappointment, the keyboard purely sucks in comparison to the Bold Keyboards! It is very flat out and when you press a button it doesn't feel so sturdy, I was typing to letters at the same time always and mine you, I have average sized fingers.

Next, the battery, RIM sports a bigger screen on the Torch, touch sensitivity, so it is pure to think that they will equip it with a higher capacity battery or at least similar to the Bold; well guess what? They put a lower capacity battery to makes things a total disaster!

Bold Battery Capacity = 1500 mAH
    Torch Battery Capacity = 1150 mAH
    (just like the cheap Curves or Pearls)

I couldn't get threw the day with the battery unless I turn off WiFi, turn the screen britghtness down, ensure that facebook app is closed! Wow! I pay an arm and a leg for a phone and have to disable all these nice features just to be able to use it for 1 day. heh

Further more, the phone is too heavy, too big, you cannot put it in a purse or a pocket without feeling its bulkiness.

And as I couldn't and hated typing on the Touch screen, the physical keyboard was slid down 90% of the time, which made the phone look horrible!

Thankgod, there is a return policy, and on the 6th day, I did the right thing, I returned it back and got a 9700 AGAIN! as there was no 9780

After 2 weeks, the 9780 got released! I bought it on the spot for $600 USD (retail price, yes, I didn't care, I love BlackBerries, and I had to had the best of em) I then sold my 9700 a week later

The 9780 is awsome! Amazing keyboard! The OS feels snappier on the 9780 as it has no touch screen to take eat up my resources (CPU resources that is), the trackpad is much better, the Torch trackpad although looks similar, it is not, it is a little bit bulged out, which makes scrolling not so smooth and continous, it often jerked while I was scrolling, if you don't have a completely dry finger at all times, then the trackpad of the torch will cause you to almost break the phone! The 9780 trackpad always works no matter if my finger was dry, damp, wet, Bolds just have a certain quality in their build not found on any other phone!

Finally, the size of the 9780 and battery are just perfect! you can't beat this great combination!

Good luck on your choice.
    12-29-10 01:25 AM
    Had a 9780 and recently converted to a 9800. My 9800 doesn't wobble, slider seems to move smoothly and to tell you the truth, after reading the horror stories I was prepared for the worst but it never happened.

I am very satisfied with my 9800. The battery life is very good, never had it run flat and the physical keyboard, although different than the 9700/9780, is very easy to get used to. The phone doesn't lag (running .337) and overall I'm glad that I made the change.
    12-29-10 02:38 AM
    I am a big defender of the Torch on these forums and I think it is a great move for Blackberry. I used mine for 2 months with no wobble, lag, or any other problems. However, I switched to the Bold 9000 because I use my phone 99% of the time for work and I found texting, emailing, calling easier on the Bold. If you know that you are more of a touchscreen/multimedia person then you should go with a 9800. But it sounds like you already are against touchscreens and the smaller keys and that's what the Torch is about so I don't think that you are going to be comfortable with it.
    12-29-10 08:45 AM
    I love my Torch but do have the wobbly screen and a trackpad that clicks when pressed which drives me nuts.
    12-29-10 09:18 AM
    I have a wobbly screen(just a bit), but still love my torch.

I think a lot of people are reluctant to embrace the only new RIM device that has come out in the last couple years simply because it's not traditional candy bar form.

To each their own to be quite honest. Me personally I love the trackpad/touchscreen combo and I honestly think OS6 is geared toward touchscreen. Got my wife a pearl 3g(9100) for x-mas(awesome little phone by the way) and put OS6 on it, just not even close to being as productive without touchscreen.
    12-29-10 12:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD