Telus Torch 9800, OS 6.0.0.246, brand new.

Capitalization works fine on the physical keyboard, but the virtual keyboards are weird. When I type a G, for instance, to get a capital I have to touch-hold the key for about 2.5 seconds, then a popup shows a capital G, which I have to select. With other letters there can be multiple versions of the G to select from. On the physical keyboard the capital G simply appears after about a quarter of a second - this is what I'm used to.

Does anyone else have this issue or know of a fix? Or is this "normal" for the virtual keyboard on the Torch? If you don't have this problem, can I ask what your keyboard settings are?

TIA - Rob.
    01-17-11 03:37 PM
    What happens when you press shift and then the letter G on the physical keyboard?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-17-11 03:40 PM
    Mine works the exact same way with the virtual keyboard. Never knew that's how it was until I read this post. I always use the shift key on the virtual keyboard. I think you'll find with the virtual keyboard pressing the shift key is the way it's supposed to be done, although it can be done either way, with the shift key being the easier method(no waiting for pop up to chose from).
    01-17-11 04:55 PM
    What happens when you press shift and then the letter G on the physical keyboard?

I get a "G" right away. But that's 2 keystrokes.

- R.
    01-17-11 08:28 PM
    ... I think you'll find with the virtual keyboard pressing the shift key is the way it's supposed to be done, although it can be done either way, with the shift key being the easier method(no waiting for pop up to chose from).
    My issue is with the slowness of the popup character selection. Storm 1 and Storm 2 both did it this way, but the popup was virtually instantaneous. Hard to get up a good typing speed when you have to hold for 2.5 seconds to get a capital. Or hit 2 keystrokes for same.

Torch = better than Storm 2, so RIM giveth and RIM taketh awayeth. Too bad.

- R.
    01-17-11 08:32 PM
    Just press shift and the letter and it will be cap. If you want to write only with cap letter hold shift for a second or 2 AND U WILL ONLY HAVE CAP LETTER.
    Hope this helps.

Its the same wit alt for virtual KB.

01-17-11 08:36 PM
    Just press shift and the letter and it will be cap. If you want to write only with cap letter hold shift for a second or 2 AND U WILL ONLY HAVE CAP LETTER.
    Hope this helps.

Its the same wit alt for virtual KB.

Thanks Mike - I know about this. My issue is with the slowness of the popup on the virtual keyboard as it's fast on the physical keyboard and was equally fast on the virtual keyboards of my Storm 1 and Storm 2. Interesting though - the documentation doesn't even mention the popup capability on the virtual keyboard.

Oh well ...

- R.
    Last edited by Rooster99; 01-17-11 at 09:10 PM.
    01-17-11 09:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD