Hey guys coming over from the other side, first BB in 6 years... is there a way to view appointments in the today screen without having to go an pay for some theme?

thanks
    12-09-10 09:46 AM
    Hey guys coming over from the other side, first BB in 6 years... is there a way to view appointments in the today screen without having to go an pay for some theme?

thanks
    The best way to do this is with an app (not free) called deToday:
    deToday - The Revolutionary Today Screen App - Utilities BlackBerry Apps - Crackberry BlackBerry Apps Store
    You can configure the number of appointments that it shows. It's a great app with great support.

Or you will need a theme that offers a today view, but the best ones that do this are not free and most of them only show a few appointments. You will find a lot of Torch themes here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/
    Last edited by tellsells; 12-09-10 at 03:38 PM.
    12-09-10 10:04 AM

thanks
    From the home screen, tap/click on the notifications area (it's the area between the ring tone profiles and the universal search icon, right below the clock. It will show you your lastest messages, missed phone #'s and your 3 next appointments.

No additional app or theme needed.

And Welcome to Crackberry.
    12-09-10 10:20 AM
    Thanks to both of you guys. yep iv been using the quick display just under the time to see what appointments I have.
    its just abit of a shocker for my system, that RIM have taken this out when its core for most busniess users- i know i know im holding onto old fond memories of my first ever BB devices...
    i guess its all about "fun" and loving your life i mean blackberry
    12-09-10 10:35 AM
    I have a small theme downloaded called wallpaper popup and if i rotate my torch to landscape mode it automatically shows the next 9 appointment.I think this was downloaded from The theme Zone as a free theme
    12-09-10 03:12 PM
    Yup. A theme or an app are your options.
    12-09-10 04:29 PM
    I share your frustration! The Torch is my first BB, having migrated from WinDoze Mobile, and I was shocked at the poor support for what I think of as the most basic of "business" features - viewing your appointments on the homescreen. As tellsells suggested, take a look at detoday - it has a free trial - and peruse the themes. The advantage of the former is that you can limit the appointments to just those for the current day, whereas with themes you can only (currently) specify the number of events to show. But I thought it over-priced ($10) for what it did - and opted to mess with theme builder to create my own workaround - see my creation:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...y-tabs-559568/

Also check out this other free theme
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...-today-561100/

Unfortunately the wallpaper popup theme is no longer free - despit the post title, but it and another "premium" theme has calendar features:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/fr...-popup-535703/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f220/ne...rsions-556681/

But neither deToday nor themes handles events as well as my old WinDoze phone running a program called Facade - with which I could view several events AND dated tasks on my homescreen as well as scroll through additional ones.

If you find any other solutions, please share them!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by somainer; 12-09-10 at 09:40 PM.
    12-09-10 08:44 PM
    I'll add another recommendation for deToday. They are constantly adding new features to it and the support is great.
    12-09-10 09:55 PM
    The develop (OdEve.com) is offering deToday for $5.99 until Christmas if you buy it directly from their site.
    12-10-10 12:55 PM
    deToday is the CrackBerry Deal of the Day! It's currently on sale for $4.99!! Today only tho...

12-11-10 08:08 PM
    Here's another free theme with appointments on homescreen (as well as other usual today stuff)

Karens BlackBerry Themes - Basic Today 9800 (Powered by CubeCart)

01-08-11 11:46 AM
    Uh it does it by default if you select and click on the notification area. Themes just give more entries...

01-08-11 12:10 PM
    Uh it does it by default if you select and click on the notification area. Themes just give more entries...

Themes give you more than just extra entries. They also allow for some customization to suit your personal preferences - eg only showing appointments (and no messages, etc); viewing appointments directly on the homescreen without any extra clicks; etc. And as was mentioned previously, deToday allows you to just show appointments for the current day.

01-08-11 09:09 PM
    I love my theme, always a Today or hidden today because I have to see my calendar entries. I have never paid for a theme. Great theme makers here on Crackberry!

01-08-11 09:14 PM
    Themes give you more than just extra entries. They also allow for some customization to suit your personal preferences - eg only showing appointments (and no messages, etc); viewing appointments directly on the homescreen without any extra clicks; etc. And as was mentioned previously, deToday allows you to just show appointments for the current day.

I know what a theme is capable of doing. To each their own.
    01-08-11 10:09 PM
    FYI, you are giving out incorrect info regarding deToday. deToday allows you to show as many appointments as you want and will show your next appointments no matter how many days ahead they are.

01-08-11 10:14 PM
    FYI, you are giving out incorrect info regarding deToday. deToday allows you to show as many appointments as you want and will show your next appointments no matter how many days ahead they are.

Sorry, I never meant to imply that deToday just allows you to show appointments for the current day. When I wrote that "...deToday allows you to just show appointments for the current day" I was actually trying to highlight one of the biggest strengths of the program, relative to what one can accomplish with themes - ie if you wish you can tweak it so it JUST shows the appointents for the current day, rather than having the screen cluttered with future events as is the case with themes. Ah, the joys of the english language, and the position of a modifier!

So there in no further misunderstanding, the bigger point I was trying to make, in response to

was simply that themes (and deToday) can provide one with more flexibility in how appointments are displayed than the default theme - above and beyond just displaying more events.
    Last edited by somainer; 01-09-11 at 07:21 AM.
    01-09-11 07:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD