According to the BB User Guide for the 9800, it supports .avi video formats - page 12.

Ha. Try playing on on it. I get the 'does not support this video type' message.

So which is it RIM? yes or no to .avi?
    09-02-10 05:36 PM
    AVI is simply a container, not a format. The 9800 is capable of playing "AVI" files, but there are many factors that come into play, such as codec (both audio and video), resolution, fps etc...
    09-02-10 06:04 PM
    AVI is simply a container, not a format. The 9800 is capable of playing "AVI" files, but there are many factors that come into play, such as codec (both audio and video), resolution, fps etc...
    Thanks Shao.

I've heard this before but I can't figure out how to figure out which avi's 'work' and which don't.

Is there a program or utility that can take a look at avi's and tell me some information about them?

I know this isn't a TV support forum, but I just got a portable TV that has a USB port - on the box it states that it plays videos (in HD) that are avi type. But I've tried at least 4 different videos from my computer and none of them work. Needless to say, the support for the company sucks - they don't know what 'type' of avi's play on them.

Any help would be appreciated.
    09-02-10 09:27 PM
    Is there a program or utility that can take a look at avi's and tell me some information about them?
    Try Mediainfo. It does exactly what you're looking for.
    Last edited by qb14; 09-02-10 at 09:42 PM.
    09-02-10 09:39 PM
    Try Mediainfo. It does exactly what you're looking for.
    ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

I figured out what kind of codec I need!
    09-02-10 10:28 PM
    Well i got two movies iin AVI format in my 8GB card Interstella 5555 and Princess Mononoke, Great Quality! it all deals with the codec and what software it has been encoded with
    09-03-10 02:43 AM
    it seems the only flv it will play is right off of youtube

it wont play any other flash video.
    09-03-10 03:36 AM
    it seems the only flv it will play is right off of youtube

it wont play any other flash video.
    My torch plays the 3gp version of youtube videos
    09-03-10 06:07 AM
    ThankyouThankyouThankyouThankyou!

I figured out what kind of codec I need!
    would you mind to share please? have a lot of avis that will like to have in my torch and have no idea what you guys are talking about. thanks!
    11-21-10 06:05 PM
    I use xillisoft ultimate video converter in the BB profile.

Just had a look at its settings for BB avi files(they always work on my torch).

Codec is h263, and bit rate is 488, with a frame rate of 15.

Not sure if that helps or not, but xillisoft has always worked for me.
    11-21-10 06:26 PM
    Interstella 5555
    Great choice! I might have to put that on my phone! As for videos, mine has always played most AVIs with DivX/Xvid/MP4 video formats. Streaming is another thing though, i use Orb and i get a little postage stamp and it stutters all the time.
    11-21-10 06:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD