Hi. Im looking for some help. I recently got a torch, and really like it, but im going to europe for the next 4 months, so i want to keep using it. AT&T is ridiculous(.50 per text, $1 per call) so everyone reccomended just buying a pay as you go phone once your there. I want to use my torch becasue it is great and i can use the google maps gps like software to get around when im there.

It was reccomended to me to go have the phone unlocked, leave my AT&T simcard at home, and buy a sim card and just do pay as you go in europe but use it in the torch. Does this work? Also, if i am able to do this, what features will be removed/availible? I primarily want to be able to use internet, e-mail, and the google maps app. If i can do all this, it would be perfect.

Does anyone have any insight or experience as to unlocking a torch and successfully using it, pay as you go style in europe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    01-07-11 02:55 PM
    The pre paid plans must have a BIS support in order to have email, bbm, internet, and apps to work.,..
    01-07-11 04:09 PM
    The pre paid plans must have a BIS support in order to have email, bbm, internet, and apps to work.,..
    I only know the pricing on T-Mobile UK but the other networks charges are about the same. 5 a month for BIS ( or 20 for 6 months ) and 5 a month for unlimited internet on top of the PAYG charges. Any unlocked Torch will work just fine.
    01-07-11 04:22 PM
    how do i figure out if the plan has BIS? And what is BIS exactly? Blackberry internet server? Is this information easily availible?
    01-07-11 04:32 PM
    Just buy a PAYG SIM and ask the provider to add BIS and unlimited internet. Or you can do it by a simple text message. Top up, so you have the required funds then send a text requesting BIS or unlimited internet. The requested services will be added and you will be charged the going rate. Simple as that.
    01-07-11 04:49 PM
    I can tell you that you can use your unlocked Torch with prepaid sim cards, but as im informed there is no Provider with BIS Option on prepaid cards here in germany. i dont know if there are provider in other european countries but i don`t think so. BlackBerrys are not as popular as they are in usa (dont know why, i love them)
    01-07-11 04:55 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys. ATV_Hightower, do you know about Italy? Thats where i will be the majority of the time.

My last question is, will unlocking my phone have any effect of its use with AT&T once i return regarding use or warranty?

Thanks again!
    01-07-11 04:57 PM
    Thanks for all the help guys. ATV_Hightower, do you know about Italy? Thats where i will be the majority of the time.

My last question is, will unlocking my phone have any effect of its use with AT&T once i return regarding use or warranty?

Thanks again!
    No, unlocking your phone will not have any effect on the operation, nor will it void your warranty.
    01-07-11 05:24 PM
    If your in the UK for any of it, Vodafone UK are offering BIS free on PAYG until 30th of June. Don't need to topup or anything, just activate it. I was using bbm for the last few weeks without paying for anything.
    01-07-11 05:41 PM
    Thats a really good deal
    01-08-11 12:41 PM
    Nedved - wouldn't you have needed to release your PIN from your previous carrier? I thought that BIS services would not work otherwise.

Because of this, when I travelled recently, I used data via tcpip, not BIS. So while most apps worked, I did not have BBM or email.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-09-11 03:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD