Hey guys trying to help my g/f out who just got the new BB torch... i absolutely love this phone... but she's having trouble getting the thing to charge via her USB cable...

We were on lunch break together and I plugged in the dead phone into my car charger and it didn't even recognize it... I did a battery pull and then plugged it in and then all of a sudden it boots up...

now with her usb charge she plugs it in and doesn't get the initial prompt to "charge only" "storage device" etc... ? anyone ever heard of this or have any suggestions? tried other usb ports no luck... does this have anything to do with mass storage mode like in OS5?
    09-13-10 01:40 PM
    it says it's not great enough power?? anyone ever heard of this? i'm stumped...
    09-13-10 01:53 PM
    Not sure all of what you mean, but the charger that comes with the Torch has an output of 5v 750mA. I seem to recall that a lot of USB ports max out around 500mA, which may not be enough if the phone is dead?
    09-13-10 01:59 PM
    it says it's not great enough power?? anyone ever heard of this? i'm stumped...
    If the computer is older the USB out put just might not be enough to support the phone. The phone has a built in feature to make sure it is getting the proper voltage so you don't damage it. Sounds like the issue, try a different cord or a different USB port or a different computer all together if you have that option.
    09-13-10 04:07 PM
    Not sure all of what you mean, but the charger that comes with the Torch has an output of 5v 750mA. I seem to recall that a lot of USB ports max out around 500mA, which may not be enough if the phone is dead?
    I think you're dead on. I was about to post a new thread until I found this one b/c my Torch will charge with the USB cable through my computer and my wall outlet, but not through my Griffin USB adapter in my car. The Griffin is rated at 500 mA output, which I guess is why it won't charge, even if the battery is nearly full. That sucks, now I have to buy a car charger hahaha.
    10-16-10 03:01 PM
    If the USB fits the PC and phone, the necessary USB drivers may need to be installed on the PC.
    10-16-10 03:11 PM
    Just because the usb plug fits doesnt mean it will charge. The pins in the usb plug might be in a different pattern then what the Torch has. Also, as stated above, the output of the plug may not be powerful enough.
    10-16-10 03:28 PM
    True enough. Sorry I forgot about the pin configuration.
    10-16-10 03:32 PM
    Just because the usb plug fits doesnt mean it will charge. The pins in the usb plug might be in a different pattern then what the Torch has. Also, as stated above, the output of the plug may not be powerful enough.
    In my case, I used the USB cable that came with the phone. I checked the leads w/ my multimeter, and was getting 5.06 V from the car and only 4.96 V from the wall outlet. At that point, I would have to be a current issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 03:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD