Hi

So I knew I had to get a Torch when I saw it during a short vacation in US. Lucky for me, I had relatives living there and he helped me get one from AT&T. I brought the phone back to Singapore and love it even until today!

The only problem is, I heard there is new OS release but when I tried to do wireless update, it states that my phone is up to date, though it is running only .141. Thinking that there might be problem with the wireless update system, I plugged my BlackBerry to my Mac and my Desktop Manager can't download the latest OS too.

So the question is:
    1. How do I upgrade the OS with my phone/ mac (without parallel) in Singapore?
    2. Why can't I sync my contacts with Desktop Manager on Mac?

Would really appreciate your help. Thanks
    10-31-10 10:10 AM
    Download. The OS from RIM and install it. Mac or not it should still use a loader application... Load it up that way and just follow the prompts. I am sure there is a Mac procedure over in the "How To" section. Not sure if carrier or device based but 246 is legit as far as the device is concerned. OTA would have to come from att servers which you cannot reach from other carriers.

As far as the sync, did you set up ogranizer data to sync in yhe DM or are you using an OTA service?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by shansmi; 10-31-10 at 10:23 AM.
    10-31-10 10:20 AM
    1. to the best of my knowledge, you cannot load an alternate OS than your carriers on a BB if your using a Mac and its version of Desktop Manager.

2. your trying to sync your contacts to? Itunes? Some Apple calender? I don't understand.
    10-31-10 10:20 AM
    I believe that it is possible to load another RIM OS for the Torch if you after it is downloaded and installed, you remove the vendor.xml file. I personally only update with my official carrier OS. That is a personal preference though since OS versions are leaked all the time. AT&T has OS .246 but there is a leaked OS version .284.
    10-31-10 11:21 AM
    The best way to do it is to wipe you device completey.

1) Download BBSAK 1.8.5

2) Run BBSAK then click on WIPE DEVICE, when asked to enter a password, leave it blank incase you don't have a password on your device.

3) Wait for a few seconds till you get the confirmation that it was done.

4) Now your device has no operating system and you should see a white screen on the BB

5) Download the following OS:
    lackBerry Handheld Software v6.0.0.695 (Multilanguage)
    Package Version: 6.0.0.695
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 6.0.0.246
    Software Platform: 6.4.0.105
    File name: 9800M_PBr6.0.0_rel695_PL6.4.0.105_A6.0.0.246_du.ex e
    File size: 161.7MB
    Note: The Software Platform
    DOWNLOAD 6.0.0.246

6) Install the *.exe file you just downloaded.

7) Navigate to Computer >>> C: >>> Program Files >>> Common Files >>> Research in Motion >>> Apploader

8) Delete the file named vendor.xml

9) Connect your BlackBerry through the USB port

10) Run loader.exe

11) Follow the on-screen instructions and enjoy. (Incase you were given 2 choices whether to leave the applications intact or to downgrade them to the original versions, choose the 2nd option which is to downgrade them, this will ensure you have a completely fresh installation)
    10-31-10 11:59 AM
    Did you even read the original post ML??? He is on a Mac. As far as I know, BBSAK is not available for the Mac.
    10-31-10 12:21 PM
    Yeah, I am on a mac. So that won't work?
    10-31-10 12:37 PM
    No that process won't work. Also, the 284 version is not a leak. It is an official release by a French carrier.

I don't think there is anyway to update the BB OS on a Mac unless it is an official release from your carrier which would be recognized by desktop manager. You either need to get windows running on the Mac or find a friend with a PC.
    10-31-10 12:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD