Waterloo-based RIM released their newest device called the BlackBerry Torch 9800, this also came load with their new BlackBerry 6 OS. The Torch went on sale officially on the 12th in the US by carrier AT&T. It will be coming to Canada soon from TELUS, Rogers, Bell and Virgin.

How were the first weekend sales for this anticipated touchscreen/QWERTY device? Well, according to Goldman Sachs the sales were �underwhelming� and stated �that nearly all of the stores they called did not sell out of the device. Also the checks showed that the vast majority of Torch sales were driven by upgrades from existing BlackBerry subscribers.�

RIM has not released official numbers for the Torch, but the vast majority of reviews have been OK with nothing about the device or OS being remotely astonishing or innovative. What do you think� will you be getting the new Torch 9800?

"Underwhelming": BlackBerry Torch 9800 first weekend sales | MobileSyrup.com
    08-16-10 12:13 PM
    *sigh* shack(lack of)news at it again. We don't care! How many times have you seen it posted, people don't form lines for Blackberries. It is not a toy that get's released once a year.
    08-16-10 12:19 PM

Also the checks showed that the vast majority of Torch sales were driven by upgrades from existing BlackBerry subscribers.�

"Underwhelming": BlackBerry Torch 9800 first weekend sales | MobileSyrup.com

same thing for the iphone 4 in terms of original iphone owners doing the upgrades. and not converts buying the phone.

Report: 77 Percent of iPhone 4 Sales Upgrades | Cult of Mac
    08-16-10 12:21 PM
    It's nice to just walk in to an att store and pick one up!!
    Why so much hate lol
    08-16-10 12:21 PM
    same thing for the iphone 4 in terms of original iphone owners doing the upgrades. and not converts buying the phone.
    The percentage may be moot when comparing the iPhone 4 to the Torch sales.

Realistically, because I would assume that the number of actual units the iPhone 4 sold will be much higher than those of the Torch, the number of new buyers of the iPhone 4 could possibly be higher than those of upgrades to the Torch.

You think RIM would want to form lines though.
    08-16-10 12:34 PM
    Not surpised, the samsung galaxy is years ahead at same price, same for droid. Sad to see rim falling so quickly. Would have never imagined this even a year ago

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 12:37 PM
    Please find something else better to do with you time.... Your signature/profile says it all "not a blackberry user". Happy with whatever you own? Great! Trolls trying to justify leaving the BB community.
    08-16-10 12:37 PM
    No one should be surprised by the lackluster sales of a lackluster phone. Whomever decided to price it at $199.00 should be fired on the spot. RIM obviously made a concious decision to dig into the parts bin for the Torch rather than create new technology for it. Therefore, they should've priced it well under the obvious competition at AT&T, the iPhone4 and the Captivate.
    08-16-10 12:43 PM
    . Therefore, they should've priced it well under the obvious competition at AT&T, the iPhone4 and the Captivate.
    i got mine for $50 less due to premier discount..
    which is applicable to all smartphones or phones except the iphones.

and if you buy it retail
    iphone 4 16 GB = $599
    Torch = $499

i'm not defending RIM here. i'm just stating the facts in terms of pricing.
    08-16-10 12:47 PM
    People fail to remember that rim produces several different models of phones. This is not the Torch 4 and RIM doesn't exclusively make Torches.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-16-10 12:49 PM
    Please find something else better to do with you time.... Your signature/profile says it all "not a blackberry user". Happy with whatever you own? Great! Trolls trying to justify leaving the BB community.
    Yes, the need to belittle in order to make oneself feel somewhat adequate is really is getting pathetic around here. Isn't there a minimum age requirement here? If not, there should be.
    08-16-10 12:49 PM

and if you buy it retail
    iphone 4 16 GB = $599
    Torch = $499

Feeding the trolls again I see.
    08-16-10 12:51 PM
    What do you think� will you be getting the new Torch 9800?
    No - I would not get one. I would get TWO. Which I did. And I love mine, and my husband loves his.
    08-16-10 12:52 PM

and if you buy it retail
    iphone 4 16 GB = $599
    Torch = $499

The masses aren't "premier" nor will they buy off contract. Thus, the price point puts it head to head with the iPhone and Captivate.
    08-16-10 12:52 PM
    No one should be surprised by the lackluster sales of a lackluster phone. Whomever decided to price it at $199.00 should be fired on the spot. RIM obviously made a concious decision to dig into the parts bin for the Torch rather than create new technology for it. Therefore, they should've priced it well under the obvious competition at AT&T, the iPhone4 and the Captivate.
    AAH my favorite troll!! Good to hear from you again (NOT)
    08-16-10 12:55 PM
    I find these types of threads interesting. When trying to compare phones and sales of phones, it is like comparing apples to oranges. I imagine the momentum of the phone will continue to rise as more are sold. It is an upgrade in the Blackberry family. It is not an iPhone, or a Droid, or any other touchscreen phone. It fits a special spot in the RIM market.
    For one, I am glad they made this phone. It does for me what I needed for it to do. For that I am happy!
    08-16-10 12:56 PM
    Lines are for sheeps and dummies :-) I wouldn't line up for a phone! Or any kind of tech product. There is nothing unique about it. And when you are among the first to get a tech device you just get the priviledge to beta test an unfinished product!
    08-16-10 12:56 PM
    Harley Davidson comes to mind. RIM is like the old Harley Davidson. Before the things became attractive to cigar puffing accountants going through male menopause, HD had a 98% repeat customer rate. iphone is like the new HD. A pop culture icon that sells as much mechandise (apps for iphone, assless chaps for HD) as they do core product.
    08-16-10 01:00 PM
    Well after reviewing some budgeting ideas, I do believe I will be picking this phone up in the next week or two. Too bad I have to leave Verizon though and it doesn't come cheap, but I will be going by the AT&T store to check out this phone. Too bad I missed out on waiting in line.... Plus one more sale for the 9800!
    08-16-10 01:03 PM
    Lines are for sheeps and dummies :-) I wouldn't line up for a phone! Or any kind of tech product. There is nothing unique about it. And when you are among the first to get a tech device you just get the priviledge to beta test an unfinished product!
    Same never understood the mentality. So I've been a BB user for 2 years and have studied BBs for a while prior to buying it. They have never had lines from what I understand. What is the obsession with lines to show something is successful? Not everything has to be a home run. Since BB has so many lines, they just have to do good sales on each brand line to be successful. Some of these BB/Android fanboys don't seem to have a basic grasp of business.
    08-16-10 01:36 PM
    i checked out the torch on release day...

its definitely better then my tour in pretty much all aspects but for me it's just too little too late. the DROID phones and the iphone offer way more. the only thing RIM has going for them is the keyboards.
    08-16-10 01:39 PM
    AAH my favorite troll!! Good to hear from you again (NOT)
    The pleasure is mine.
    08-16-10 01:39 PM
    It is amazing that all this hate can come out of a simple post. People need to lighten up a bit.
    08-16-10 01:43 PM
    I bought my Captivate on launch day, no line for it either. I bought my Torch on launch day, with 6 people in line, two of which to return a Captivate for a Torch. The best is always hated on, that just comes with being the best.
    08-16-10 01:45 PM
    Device Model: Not a BlackBerry/Smartphone User
    I think that says it all. A smartphone is way above your intelligent level. What trolls like you fail to grasp is RIM releases many models of phones and the Torch is just ONE of them. I will be getting one but have to wait for an unlocked release because of where I live, so less than a week from official release you are posting that sales are down.

Why are you even a member of CB? Find another forum (Motorola) and post there.
    08-16-10 01:55 PM
148 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD