hi folks,

i'm based in the Far East.

Day before yesterday i spent a day in the U.S - my Torch picked up the AT & T network - no problems whatsoever in receiving emails / bbm.

Today i reached Panama - Torch picked up the signal of Digicel - but ONLY GSM. When i tried to choose other networks manually, i got the message : You will only have emergency service. Continue?

Funny that i get this message for ALL THE other networks.

a) I tried to take out my sim and battery - still the same.
    b) I deleted the Digicel from my preferred networks .. now it connects to 714-4 network (CW Panama) but still GSM. When i try to connect to other networks (7 to 8 networks appear), i still get the message .. "You will only have emergency service. Continue?"

Data roaming is ON.

Has anybody experienced this problem before. Any help would be appreciated. Having a difficult time without getting emails. Thank you very much.
    12-15-10 06:33 PM
    On GSM that will be true. Was it GSM or gsm? I believe GSM means you are seeing BIS. Next time under Network Connections choose Services Status and look at BIS. No BIS, no email or BBM etc. As far as roaming, you may still have issues depending on wheter or not your carrier allows data in that serving network. They may not and maybe even OS6 can have issues if the serving carrier does not have any OS6 devices...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-15-10 10:48 PM
    Thx for the reply ...

B.I.S shows NOT CONNECTED.

So that means ..
    a) Probably my carrier does not allow data in that serving network? I checked and they said they did allow ...

b) Even if they do allow, from your anwer i understand that the serving carrier's network should b compatible with OS 6?

Thx
    12-15-10 11:15 PM
    Cool, at least we know why things are not working. Now to find out why you are not getting data. Maybe the serving network does not like OS6. If you pass a store or go to their website, are they selling any OS6 devices? Either way call the serving carrier and ask them to look at the SGSN to see why you are not getting data. There should be logs based on your IMSI indicating why the serving network is rejecting your data service requests.

hari.p likes this.
    12-15-10 11:21 PM
    If mobile network didn't give you data access, try BIS via Wifi..when I am overseas on holiday I strictly rely on BIS via Wifi to get emails and chat to save roaming charges and it worked great..

hari.p likes this.
    12-15-10 11:32 PM
    Wifi is fine ..
    - - i will definitely use wifi once i'm in the hotel.
    - - but on the road, i need to use the data service of GPRS.

I'll go to the serving carrier's shop n try to understand what is wrong.
    12-16-10 06:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD