Hi, all.

This evening I decided to really abuse UMA on a Rogers Wireless Torch. I connected to the Talkspot Service and, once I had the UMA notification at the top of my Torch screen (about 30 minutes later) - I was ready to play.

I turned off the GSM radio (I turned the feature for wireless network to "WiFi Only" from "WiFi preferred".

- SMS: Able to send and receive fine
    - BBM: Works exactly as normal.
    - Voice: Able to place and recieve calls just fine.
    - Browsing: Same. Works as expected.

I was a little surprised about the SMS service working - it makes sense but I expected it to fail.

Hope this helps any others.
    Cheers!
    The price for this add-on for Nation-wide calling in Canada is $15/month. Rogers will try and ship a "voice optimised" router to you but my Cisco setup seems happy enough to carry the traffic.
    10-11-10 12:18 AM
    UMA surely is a kick-arse feature.

I currently am in an area where there is absolutely zero T-Mobile cell coverage. There hardly is any coverage of any kind, actually.

I'm able to use my phone everywhere (even in the basement) thanks to internet routing of cell features T-Mobile doesn't even require subscription to a special plan to use UMA.

<3 T-Mo!
    10-11-10 08:50 AM
    Does using UMA count towards your plan limits?

Ie: would making calls, sending sms, over UMA count towards your plan's minutes and text messages included in your plan?
    10-11-10 09:24 AM

Ie: would making calls, sending sms, over UMA count towards your plan's minutes and text messages included in your plan?
    Yes it still comes off your included minutes/texts, but ti won't count against your data as you're using your own
    10-11-10 09:41 AM
    Yes it still comes off your included minutes/texts, but ti won't count against your data as you're using your own
    That is carrier dependent.

T-Mobile USA offers unlimited voice and data with UMA.

Rogers Canada does not distinguish between EDGE and UMA, both use plan voice and data. There is a add on service, Talkspot, that does allow unlimited nationwide Voice for $20.

10-11-10 10:04 AM
    That is carrier dependent.

T-Mobile USA offers unlimited voice and data with UMA.
    Not anymore. They stopped last year.
    10-11-10 11:43 AM

Rogers Canada does not distinguish between EDGE and UMA, both use plan voice and data. There is a add on service, Talkspot, that does allow unlimited nationwide Voice for $20.
    Rogers won't give you UMA without Talkspot unless you go through retentions now. It's not enabled by default on the network anymore.
    10-11-10 02:41 PM
    Not anymore. They stopped last year.
    True, as a standalone, but still, T-Mobile US offers UMA as part of your bucket minutes, at no extra cost. So, if you have an unlimited voice plan, you also have unlimited UMA
    10-12-10 12:12 AM
    Talkspot is awesome. Saving me hundreds monthly and the 9800 switches UMA better than the 9700. One of the reasons I won't go to the captivate just yet....UMA isn't on android yet I don't believe.
    10-12-10 12:49 AM
    True, as a standalone, but still, T-Mobile US offers UMA as part of your bucket minutes, at no extra cost. So, if you have an unlimited voice plan, you also have unlimited UMA
    Absolutely correct, sir.

I stay with T-Mobile in large part because they have UMA service. Every wifi network is a cell tower
    10-12-10 07:42 AM
    Hi, all.

This evening I decided to really abuse UMA on a Rogers Wireless Torch. I connected to the Talkspot Service and, once I had the UMA notification at the top of my Torch screen (about 30 minutes later) - I was ready to play.

I turned off the GSM radio (I turned the feature for wireless network to "WiFi Only" from "WiFi preferred".

- SMS: Able to send and receive fine
    - BBM: Works exactly as normal.
    - Voice: Able to place and recieve calls just fine.
    - Browsing: Same. Works as expected.

I was a little surprised about the SMS service working - it makes sense but I expected it to fail.

Hope this helps any others.
    Cheers!
    The price for this add-on for Nation-wide calling in Canada is $15/month. Rogers will try and ship a "voice optimised" router to you but my Cisco setup seems happy enough to carry the traffic.
    when will AT&T follow?
    10-12-10 07:47 AM
    I have a new torch too. i had UMA on my account. talk spot was added to my account afterwards. i am having problems making wifi calls. the phone doesn't want to stay on UMA and goes backt 3G. i've gone through a few days with tech support and they finally told me that there is a know issue with the torch which is what made me surprised when i read this thread. is there something i'm doing wrong? do you login to talk spot or something? any help you can provide is appreciated.
    10-15-10 01:46 PM
    I have a new torch too. i had UMA on my account. talk spot was added to my account afterwards. i am having problems making wifi calls. the phone doesn't want to stay on UMA and goes backt 3G. i've gone through a few days with tech support and they finally told me that there is a know issue with the torch which is what made me surprised when i read this thread. is there something i'm doing wrong? do you login to talk spot or something? any help you can provide is appreciated.
    Mine does this to but it doesn't matter if it switches during a call...as long as the call originated on UMA and you have Talkspot, you won't be charged. The key is to ensure that you connected with the other party before it switches. You can test this to see if it is true by watching whether your account is charged or not by logging into Rogers or dowloading the app.
    10-16-10 12:09 AM
    There is an upgrade coming to Rogers UMA in the coming weeks to enable proper 3G handoffs. If you turn your torch to EDGE only when you want UMA it should hand over and hold fine... same goes for the 9700... until the upgrade happens, that is..

The costing i get is $5 for UMA access, $10 for unlimited local and $15 for unlimited nationwide. No other smartphones do UMA that i am aware. This is key for me as my office gets no cell coverage - i still get funny looks sometimes when im seen chatting on my mobile in there..
    10-16-10 12:53 AM

I just got off phone with Rogers and it depends on your plan. On a student plan it gives you unlimited local calling using wifi, so it doesn't count towards your minutes.
    12-04-10 02:27 PM
    Rogers won't give you UMA without Talkspot unless you go through retentions now. It's not enabled by default on the network anymore.
    Thanks for that information. I have Rogers bound by contract to deliver UMA service and Talkspot. I live in a very weak signal area.

If the Torch originates with Rogers, it will likley have the provisioning and security certificates needed to activate UMA.

$20 for unlimited national calling is still a sweet deal.
    12-04-10 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD