I own the BB Bold 9700, but am thinking about upgrading to the Torch, but I am worried about the max 2 GB data plan (I currently have unlimited data with the Bold). How much of a limitation to Torch users is the 2GB limit?
    11-24-10 12:41 PM
    if you're going to extend and upgrade, you'll keep your same plan. I still have my unlimited plan.
    11-24-10 12:43 PM
    It all depends on how much data you regularly use. If you use less than 2gb now, then the 2gb plan won't limit you in any way. If you constantly use more than 2gb, then you would need to cut back on your data usage or pay extra whenever you go over. I think they automatically add an extra gb for $10 if you go over.

As mentioned by TeritaM, if you are just upgrading your phone, then you will keep the unlimited plan. If this is a new line, then you won't have the unlimited option.

If you want to change from the unlimited to 2gb to save some money, you could regret this in the future. When 4G comes out, your data usage will most likely increase.
    11-24-10 12:50 PM
    All psot are corect. I'm an ATT rep and I can tell you that you will not loose your plan that you have on upgradding. all my customers that come into the store that want to down grade I tell them not to just becasue the fact that they can never get that feature back. The torch is a great Phone!!
    11-24-10 01:41 PM
    I'm what most would probably consider a light to moderate user - probably 20 email messages a day, 400 to 800 text messages a month, and multiple browser sessions daily (most in the 5 to 10 minute range). I hardly ever stream multimedia if I'm not on wifi. The most data I've used with my Torch has been 246.7 mb.

I've had my Torch since they've been available to the public.
    11-24-10 02:16 PM
    Thanks for the great responses. My usage on the Bold is about 1.2GB or less each month. I was looking at upgrading through letstalk.com and the website was saying that to get the Torch my data plan had to be 2GB at maximum. Right now I'm torn between waiting 1 yr before my current contract is up or upgrading to the Bold and extending the contract another 2 yrs...The Torch appears to be the best BB out right now on any network, so I am leaning toward upgrading now and extending the contract...
    11-24-10 03:14 PM
    I find it very difficult to even reach 1GB, and I'm a pretty heavy user. 2GB will be more than sufficient.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-24-10 04:12 PM
    I had the 9700 and unlimited data plan when the Torch was released in August. I kept the unlimited data for three months and monitored my usage. With wifi on I never exceed 200MB, ****, I barely approach 100MB most of the time.
    The great thing is you don't have to give up your unlimited data if you don't want to... keep an eye on the at&t website this weekend for deals.
    11-24-10 04:49 PM
    I own the BB Bold 9700, but am thinking about upgrading to the Torch, but I am worried about the max 2 GB data plan (I currently have unlimited data with the Bold). How much of a limitation to Torch users is the 2GB limit?
    I had the unlimited plan on my 8310, 9000, and 9700 on AT&T which transferred to my Torch. As long as you extend the contract, you should retain the unlimited plan. I have been with AT&T since 1994 and have had a BB unlimited plan since 2007 when I got my 8310.
    11-24-10 05:47 PM
    Thanks for the great responses. My usage on the Bold is about 1.2GB or less each month. I was looking at upgrading through letstalk.com and the website was saying that to get the Torch my data plan had to be 2GB at maximum. Right now I'm torn between waiting 1 yr before my current contract is up or upgrading to the Bold and extending the contract another 2 yrs...The Torch appears to be the best BB out right now on any network, so I am leaning toward upgrading now and extending the contract...
    You have a number of options:

1) Wait the year and upgrade to the Torch or its successor.
    2) Ask AT&T for a secured upgrade which is usually $50 + 2 Yr contract price.
    3) Buy the Torch at the full price.

Whichever option that you choose, don't give up the unlimited plan.
    11-24-10 05:51 PM
    Read the fine print with letstalk.com. Some sellers won't renew your unlimited plan for the cheap price, they want to sign you for a 2gb plan. AT&T will renew the unlimited plan and sell the Torch for $99, I just did it yesterday.
    11-24-10 06:02 PM
    Yeah, Mine also stayed the same after upgrading in August.
    11-24-10 06:24 PM
    I have unlimited everything, Voice, Data, BB Corporate, text, etc...

even if you change options, say go to a droid, or an iPhone, you can move your unlimited, so long as you dont lapse.

I went to the captivate for a week when my bold 9000 died, came back for the torch. all on ATT.

Also, check back with your corp store occasionally, I had a few parts of my plan drop in price, still unlim.
    11-24-10 07:47 PM
    I've been *very* surprised with how little data I've been using from my plan. I do have compression turned on though, this probably helps. I was worried about the 2 gb limit, since I came from verizon with unlimited, but I can't even come close to the 2 gb limit, even with heavy use. Sooo, for me its been fine.
    I just wish atat had a 1 gb plan, they jump from 200 mb to 2 gb w/ no in between ....

11-24-10 08:43 PM
    I find it very difficult to even reach 1GB, and I'm a pretty heavy user. 2GB will be more than sufficient.

I've gone up each month since getting the Torch... I can't put it down... I'm nearing 1GB and actually went over 1GB one month... The more that gets developed for the phone... the more ways to consume the ever so popular data...
    11-24-10 09:48 PM
    I have the 2 gig plan with the Torch and i never go over the 2gig limit even though i use the internet all the time. I even stream the radio on it. I had a palm pre plus and went over the limit 2 months in a row.
    -
    11-24-10 10:11 PM
    if you're going to extend and upgrade, you'll keep your same plan. I still have my unlimited plan.
    I got to keep my unlimited plan as well when I upgraded to the torch last month from the bold 9700

11-25-10 07:04 AM
    After much, much research, it is possible to get the torch from Let's Talk for the $99 price, and keep your unlimited plan. You gotta search for the checkbox. The draw back is Let's Talk will charge you a $50 fee for the commission they lose out on, not being able to sell you a downgraded data plan. Still not too bad considering they don't jack up the monthly call plans they offer by $10/month, like a lot do, which over a 2 year period is an extra 240 unnecessary bucks!

You gotta read the fine print and be aware of the "backdoor" charges.

Last edited by mataleao; 11-25-10 at 10:20 PM.
    jcp007 likes this.
    11-25-10 10:46 AM
    I totally agree...read the fine print...if a deal seems to be too good...it probably isn't and may have some major restrictions to offset the "deal". Even though the corporate stores are not always as competitive, regardless of brand, I have always purchased my phone there so that I can see it person and test it before I leave. It all depends upon what you are comfortable with. If I am going to spend a lot of money, I want to have some degree of control on the front end.
    11-25-10 11:37 AM
    Yeah, Mine also stayed the same after upgrading in August.
    Same here and thank goodness. My normal usage per cycle is about 4 4.5gb
    and that mind you is with no tethering and no music or video streaming.
    11-25-10 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD