I'm considering trading my white Torch to someone for a black one. As far as the transfer goes, is it as simple as wiping the device inserting my sim card and SD card into the new one and reloading my data (contacts, emails, etc) from DM? I'm on AT&T and didn't know if I would have to take the new one to them to get it "activated" in my name. Thanks in advance for any insight.
    04-19-11 07:22 PM
    if the new one is AT&T, or unlocked, it is better to use the device switch wizzard, but it does essentiall the same thing.

create a back-up of your device (you can back-up the contents of theSD card as well), and then restore that back-up to the new device. If you have time, i would wait until your new device is functioning properly and all your contacts etc were successfully transfered, before wiping the old device that you are giving up...

you should also wipe your new device before restoring your back-up to it
    namichael likes this.
    04-19-11 08:20 PM
    if the new one is AT&T, or unlocked, it is better to use the device switch wizzard, but it does essentiall the same thing.

create a back-up of your device (you can back-up the contents of theSD card as well), and then restore that back-up to the new device. If you have time, i would wait until your new device is functioning properly and all your contacts etc were successfully transfered, before wiping the old device that you are giving up...

you should also wipe your new device before restoring your back-up to it
    That is exactly what I would do if it happen to me.
    04-19-11 11:12 PM
    Remember your PIN will also change so you might want to let your bbm contacts know this. Tell them to delete your old PIN.
    04-20-11 08:47 AM
    Remember your PIN will also change so you might want to let your bbm contacts know this. Tell them to delete your old PIN.
    No need...this will happen automatically if 'switched' or restored correctly.
    Backup BBM contacts on your micro SD.
    04-20-11 09:07 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately the person I was going to trade with has changed his mind.

So I guess I'm stuck with the white torch until the Bold Touch hits the stores.
    04-20-11 08:10 PM
    Thanks for the hint. It never occurred to me just to do a 'restore' instead of looking for a 'transfer to new device' option. It worked great - I only lost a few ringtones - and hey they are fun to search for anyway right?
    05-15-11 06:13 PM
    No need...this will happen automatically if 'switched' or restored correctly.
    Backup BBM contacts on your micro SD.
    screw backing up to SD card. just back it up remotely through email address. once the new phone is up and running and connected to BIS, BBM will restore itself fully withing like 15 minutes....even if you start with a blank list.
    05-15-11 06:43 PM
    ^ It's never a bad idea to have a backup on the device (or PC), unless you can't spare the ~100kb space req'd.
    Personally, being on BES, I don't need email or local BBM backup.
    05-15-11 07:09 PM
    ^ It's never a bad idea to have a backup on the device (or PC), unless you can't spare the ~100kb space req'd.
    Personally, being on BES, I don't need email or local BBM backup.
    fair, but backups are the media card can be out of date and inaccurate. the remote backups are precise, up to date and load automatically once BIS and the emails are registered on the new handset. cant screw it up.
    05-15-11 09:08 PM
    i would be willing to trade my unlocked black torch with u. How old is yours? i got mine on DEC 24, is it unlocked?
    05-16-11 11:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD