Hello, I am having major issues when I am on a call with my new BB Torch. On nearly every call as I am talking the side of my face is apparently pressing the mute or hold button and I am not aware of it until the call is disconnected or when I do not receive a response. Is there anyway I can remove that feature from the screen as I am on a call, does it really have to appear? The four items that appear when you are on a call is: mute, add a participant, hold, and speaker. Is it possible that I may need to increase or decrease the touchsreen sensitivity features such as the tap interval, hover period, and/or swipe sensitivity??? Someone please help me out or I am taking this phone back.

Another concern is that on my Blackberry Bold I was able to enhance the volume of a call, but I don't seem to see it on this BB Torch. How can I enhance the volume of the caller aside from pressing the button on the side of the phone? Can I go into one of the icons on the phone and do so??? Thanks in advance!
    11-17-10 12:38 PM
    Sounds like something is blocking the proximity sensor as the screen is supposed to go black when you have the phone close to your face (like on a call). Do you have a screen protector on it??
    11-17-10 12:41 PM
    The screen should go black and unresponsive when put up to your ear. The proximity sensor allows this.

Do you have a screen protector on it?

One way to test this is to make a call to someone you know wont pickup(like your home phone) and put your finger across the entire top of the phone where the speaker is. If the screen goes blank your proximity sensor is working, if not its either defective or a screen protector is blocking it from working properly. This issue has been posted many times, and typically its always a screen protector that's blocking it from working properly.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-17-10 at 12:55 PM.
    11-17-10 12:43 PM
    As for the Volume go into "options -> call management -> in call settings and set the "default call volume" to 100%
    11-17-10 12:46 PM
    Hello folks! Thanks for the feedback. In response to the touch screen issues I don't not have a protective screen over it. I was actually going to purchase one this week. Should I "not" purchase one? Is it not recommended? I notice that the screen goes blank and then when I take it from my ear to look at it I can see the info on the screen. Should it remain blank unless a call is coming through??? Oh gosh! I have had this phone exactly one week and this is a major concern. What should I now do?

Thank you for the information in regards to enhancing the volume of the caller under my options. I have adjusted it and I will see how well it works during my next call. Thanks again!
    11-17-10 03:39 PM
    In response to the touch screen issues I don't not have a protective screen over it. I was actually going to purchase one this week. Should I "not" purchase one? Is it not recommended?
    I am using a Clarivue screen protector on the Torch without any problems. It has a cutout around the LED light, speaker, and proximity sensor so it doesn't interfere with the screen function. I think the problems people encounter are with protectors not designed for the Torch, so search in the Torch forum to see what others are using successfully. I have also read where long hair over your ears can fool the sensor to thinking it is not touching your ear. I can't personally confirm this.

I notice that the screen goes blank and then when I take it from my ear to look at it I can see the info on the screen. Should it remain blank unless a call is coming through??? Oh gosh! I have had this phone exactly one week and this is a major concern. What should I now do?
    The screen should light back up when you take it away from your ear so that you can interact with it - select speakerphone, mute the call, bring up the numeric keypad, etc. This is normal.
    11-17-10 03:56 PM
    I have a screen protector on mine, and it isn't interfering with the proximity sensor, so putting one on really shouldn't stop that from working.

What is supposed to happen is when you get or make a call, the phone is supposed to go "blank" while the device is close to your face and then the screen will come back on when it is moved away.
    11-17-10 03:57 PM
    Ok! Thanks. I am going to look into that type of protective covering and give it a try. WOW! I have long hair, so maybe that's my issue. . Oh, so basically I should keep the phone pressed closely to my face for best results??? But it seemed like when it was against my face it was muting or putting the call on hold.
    11-17-10 04:53 PM
    Did you try the test that homer1475 suggested?
    One way to test this is to make a call to someone you know wont pickup(like your home phone) and put your finger across the entire top of the phone where the speaker is. If the screen goes blank your proximity sensor is working, if not its either defective or a screen protector is blocking it from working properly.
    If you aren't using a screen protector, you need to determine that the proximity sensor is actually working properly. It's located between the LED indicator and the speaker.

If you're serious about your hair being that long, try brushing your hair away from your ear before putting the phone up to it. And make sure you put the speaker up to your ear first and that you aren't hitting the screen with your cheek before the sensor has a chance to react.

I've never had a problem with mine so can't really offer much more advice. Try searching the forum for other threads on this topic. I think there has been several.
    11-17-10 07:09 PM
    Hi everyone!!! It's been a rough situation with my phone. I don't know what to do. My previous phone was a Bold and this Torch is giving me a run for my money. After posting this message on Wednesday I went to the Att store and received a new phone. Now I am having even more issues. I am going to post a new thread today. I can not even utilize the keyboard (the keyboard is not working at all), only the touchscreen. I have a password on my phone so it makes it extremely difficult to get into the phone. The only way I am able to do so is if some calls me and I ask them to hold on, so that I can go through the menu and check my texts. I must have a curse on my phones. And then I tried to power on my Bold to use it and only the red light is coming on. The phone will not come on. WOW!!! This issue began yesterday, a day after I got the second phone. I guess I will try one more time, but this time I will go to a different store. This is ridiculous!!!
    11-19-10 10:20 AM
    Agreed with a brand new phone you shouldn't be having all these issues.

Seems all your first problems were OS related.

As far as your issue with the physical keyboard not working, have you tried a battery pull? should fix some of if not all the software related issues and perhaps your keyboard.

Someone said in here one time "if in doubt, pull it out". Hopefully that was a reference to their battery and not something else. (I actually think it's in their signature)

If you cant get the physical keyboard working take it back for another.

There has been a lot of issues with QC. So save yourself another headache and check it out before you leave.
    11-19-10 10:31 AM
    Yes I have tried taking the battery out nearly 100 times and nothing. I will try again though. This is very odd!!! Forgive me for asking this silly question, but what does QC mean??? It's been a long day. :-)
    11-19-10 10:58 AM
    QC = quality control

If you have pulled your battery(100 times as you have said), then doing it again probably wont help. Have you tried reloading the OS?

Best guess, is another defective handset. Specially if the physical keyboard isn't working.
    11-19-10 11:14 AM
    Ok I knew that's what it meant, but I wanted to make sure. LOL! Ok now really OS means? I know it has something to do with the hardware. Correct? I have not tried reloading anything. I spoke to a rep last night and she was going to reset my phone, but I didn't want to lost my information.
    11-19-10 11:30 AM
    OS = operating system.
    11-19-10 11:32 AM
    Hey! I tried taking the battery out again, but this time I left it out for about 20-30 minutes and it began working again. WOWOWOWOW! So do you think I should go and ask about receiving another phone? Also do you think it is still an OS issue?
    11-19-10 11:45 AM
    Depending on how close to your 30 days you are. If you got a few days, wait and see if it happens again. If your close to your 30, then go get another. I personally wouldnt hesitate and with all the QC problems the phone has been having I'm sure they would give you another without any hesitation.

Since pulling the battery worked, I would have to say just a small bug and not OS related.

Just remember if you do take it back, try the next one out in store to save yourself another headache.
    11-19-10 11:56 AM
    I took the battery out and it is now working. I am still going to pay them a visit today.
    11-19-10 12:34 PM
    Ok thanks Homer! Do you overall like your Torch? And of course in the store it will work fine. It's when you get it home it acts crazy. I have about 20 days left before I hit 30 days.
    11-19-10 12:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD