I am a first time BlackBerry owner and I have the Torch 9800. I've only had it a week and I've fallen in love with this phone.
    Yesterday the touchscreen started mistakingly pushing the incorrect buttons. I opened the dialpad to call and when dialing 2 it seems to press the 1 also, so it typed 12 instead of 2. I started dialing other numbers and the same issue. 9 would actually hit 7 and 9 and 5 would hit 4 and 5. I have no issue pressing the buttons dead center, and it did not happen this entire week until yesterday. I also had the issue with all the other buttons. I touched to open the status bar (?) on top where the RSS feeds come and it would touch the Sound option to the left of it.
    I turned it off (as I do every night) and this morning it works fine, no mistaken touches when I'm touching the correct buttons.
    Any ideas why this was or how to keep it from happening again?

Also, I do have the "buzzing" sound during some calls and I've read the discussions on it and will wait for the updated OS release.
    09-02-10 08:34 AM
    For your homescreen issue, try looking to see if options are selected prior to contact and use the trackpad to move away from the undesired option.
    09-02-10 08:45 AM

I am a first time BlackBerry owner and I have the Torch 9800. I've only had it a week and I've fallen in love with this phone.
    Yesterday the touchscreen started mistakingly pushing the incorrect buttons. I opened the dialpad to call and when dialing 2 it seems to press the 1 also, so it typed 12 instead of 2. I started dialing other numbers and the same issue. 9 would actually hit 7 and 9 and 5 would hit 4 and 5. I have no issue pressing the buttons dead center, and it did not happen this entire week until yesterday. I also had the issue with all the other buttons. I touched to open the status bar (?) on top where the RSS feeds come and it would touch the Sound option to the left of it.
    I turned it off (as I do every night) and this morning it works fine, no mistaken touches when I'm touching the correct buttons.
    Any ideas why this was or how to keep it from happening again?

Also, I do have the "buzzing" sound during some calls and I've read the discussions on it and will wait for the updated OS release.
    There is an updated "leaked" OS, but AT&T hasn't adopted it (and may not adopt any new OS for the 9800 until next spring or so, if the past is any guide). I don't know if it will address the touchscreen problems you have, but it will fix the call-sound problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/v6-...leaked-514845/

09-02-10 08:45 AM
    There is an updated "leaked" OS, but AT&T hasn't adopted it (and may not adopt any new OS for the 9800 until next spring or so, if the past is any guide). I don't know if it will address the touchscreen problems you have, but it will fix the call-sound problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/v6-...leaked-514845/

being a newbie im not sure if that is the safe/smart thing to do. i would love to have the updated OS, but if i did do it would this void any warranty or insurance or anything if i had to return the phone for some reason? is it just a simple "click to install" or is there some kind of configuration you have to do?
    09-02-10 08:52 AM
    Is there screen calibration in options? I know the Storm doesn’t have this but my other touch screen devices do.
    09-02-10 08:59 AM
    Is there screen calibration in options? I know the Storm doesnít have this but my other touch screen devices do.
    i could not find one at all. i think there was a post saying there wasnt one on the torch either.
    i had one on my last phone, the samsung impression, but it wasnt a smartphone.
    09-02-10 09:05 AM
    If you have to take it back for anything you can just go back to AT&T's official OS unless the phone is just broke and then I don't think it matter anyway.

No it's not a simple click to install. I followed this for my first unofficial OS install and had no problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/he...t-time-342461/

Please do a backup first.
    09-02-10 09:09 AM
    Hmm.. Interesting. I've never had any problems with the screen on my Storm but I've always wondered why there was no calibration option. Maybe because I've never had any problems?? lol
    09-02-10 09:14 AM
    If you have to take it back for anything you can just go back to AT&T's official OS unless the phone is just broke and then I don't think it matter anyway.
    No AT&T store clerk is going to check to see if the phone still has the original .141 OS, are you kidding me? I would bet they don't even know what the stock OS is, let alone where to look for the version number on the device.

I exchanged a Torch that had .161 on it for a new one without problem. Not that I expected any, at least as far as having a newer OS goes.
    09-02-10 09:30 AM

No it's not a simple click to install. I followed this for my first unofficial OS install and had no problems.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/he...t-time-342461/

Please do a backup first.
    No AT&T store clerk is going to check to see if the phone still has the original .141 OS, are you kidding me? I would bet they don't even know what the stock OS is, let alone where to look for the version number on the device.

I exchanged a Torch that had .161 on it for a new one without problem. Not that I expected any, at least as far as having a newer OS goes.
    Correct. We (AT&T) do not look at what OS you're on, nor do we really care to be honest. As long as there is no water damage or missing pieces the warranty center by my store doesn't care.
    09-02-10 09:33 AM
    I have noticed incorrect screen clicks in many other areas of the phone as well. I have not noticed in the call screen because I have not had to dial a number yet. But it has happened on the notification pull down screen.
    09-02-10 09:51 AM
    I've had a few where it took a couple clicks to get the notification bar down, nothing TOO major.
    09-02-10 09:54 AM
    Yesterday the touchscreen started mistakingly pushing the incorrect buttons.
    This just started happening to me too. I noticed it trying to unlock the phone, when pressing the "R" it simultaneously presses the "U" (much too far away to be a random miss!). Also, when trying to touch an email to open it nothing happens, but when you touch another it highlights both. It almost seems like it's detecting multiple presses. Swiping from side to side also doesn't work (like trying to swipe through pictures).

Battery pull didn't fix it. Guess it's time to take the damn thing back to the store. I'm tempted to just tell them to keep it and go back to my old reliable 8310!

EDIT: I just went in and made some changes to the touch screen settings (turned off predictive, changed the swipe sensitivity), did another battery pull and now it's working.
    Sure seems like this one's going to be a bug...

EDIT2: It's already hosed up again, and it will come and go randomly. It's definitely going back to AT&T. <sigh>
    Last edited by justplanechris; 12-31-10 at 10:32 PM. Reason: update
    12-31-10 02:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD