Ok I'm really a fan of torrents, which I'm sure a bunch of torchers are also....anyway my question is. Is there an app to download torrents and basically upload them to ur phone...I know there's an UnRar app which I purchased from Blackberry App World which works good but no a days with the programs released Torrent Apps seem to have more resources. Anyway I just would love a mobile torrent app for blackberries period especially The best one ever the BLACKBERRY TORCH..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-16-10 11:50 AM
    Great question.

I asked it a year or two ago and was told that there was not because of BB's security protocols.

It is kinda crappy that we cannot use a torrent or p2p program on our 2010 devices... considering that on my 2007 Nokia N95-3 I was able to torrent and use p2p.
    10-16-10 05:57 PM
    I am assuming the reason is more on the legal side. Now they are tighter when it comes to downloading I think the companies don't want to have to worry about the possibility of being part of a lawsuit because someone used their device or softwear to get something illeagally

10-16-10 06:42 PM
    That kinda sucks....but when u speak on the legal side then your 100% right.

10-17-10 02:06 PM
    I think another issue is due to the extremely high data use that torrents would entail, and the battery drain while sending and receiving all that data. Then there are also the issues with mobile networks not being fast enough for leeching/seeding torrents.
    10-17-10 02:11 PM
    I think another issue is due to the extremely high data use that torrents would entail, and the battery drain while sending and receiving all that data. Then there are also the issues with mobile networks not being fast enough for leeching/seeding torrents.
    I would definately second this as being the reason. 100%.

10-17-10 08:55 PM
    Could WebUI for uTorrent work??

µTorrent WebUI Guide - Guides - µTorrent - a (very) tiny BitTorrent client

I haven't thought about trying it, nor setting it up, but someone might want too try it
    10-17-10 09:52 PM
    I would definately second this as being the reason. 100%
    WiFi and a charger

10-17-10 10:21 PM
    WiFi and a charger

I use torrents all the time and they use up a lot of resources. The torch is not powerful enough to fully utilize torrents or any p2p program. I don't think the super media devices like the iphone nor the droids could handle it either... Or maybe they can.

10-18-10 12:12 AM
    I use torrents all the time and they use up a lot of resources. The torch is not powerful enough to fully utilize torrents or any p2p program. I don't think the super media devices like the iphone nor the droids could handle it either... Or maybe they can.

Even if the devices could handle it, the data usage would be astronomical. I use Dime for torrents on my PC. Since the files are .flac, I can easily use over 1GB/day leeching and seeding a torrent from the Dime tracker. Users on AT&T who no longer have unlimited data would go way over the limit if they were capable of using those torrents on their mobile devices.
    10-18-10 01:16 AM
    What about drop box?
    You can set up your torrent client: say UTorrent, to automatically add all torrents added to a specific folder.
    You can make that folder a drop box folder.
    That way you can browse web sites on your Torch, download the torrent file, drop them in a drop box folder, sync drop box & once synced the torrent should start.

There are guides on how to do this on the net, that should come up with a google search.
    10-27-10 10:42 AM
    I'm pretty sure there's no way to add a torrent file to Dropbox from your phone. It only supports pictures and Office docs.
    10-27-10 10:49 AM
    Windows Mobile devices had torrent programs, so yes the Torch could handle it... That said it's not practical and works like crap. Odds of being able to do it on a PC if you're using wifi anyways are high.

10-27-10 11:57 AM
    I'm using Transmission. It's installed on my server and the web interface works just fine in the browser.
    10-27-10 12:42 PM
    I wish we had a torrent client like Transdriod for BB, which show details and progresses of the torrents with the ability to add, pause, and delete torrents. No files will be downloaded to the device, so no high spec is needed.

Last edited by smoother; 10-27-10 at 02:28 PM.
    10-27-10 02:25 PM
    Yep, pretty much any web interface will probably work... So the app isn't particularly necessary...

Like uTorrent's webui.
    10-27-10 03:05 PM
    I'm using uTorrent's WebUI and MiniUI (the regular WebUI doesn't render properly for me) and it works like a charm. You can even download the torrent files to the phone and upload them via the WebUI so they're all waiting for you when you get home. It's pretty slick.

(For best results, a Dynamic DNS service helps too.)
    10-27-10 03:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD