Did an incredibly stupid thing today....

I purchased a 9800 this week, and was going back and forth between my Iphone and Torch with the help of a Microsim adapter.

Today, when I pulled out the sim with adapter, it got caught on the Sim reader prongs, and got stuck.....when I gave it a gentle tug with a pair of tweezers, the adapter broke, leaving half of the sim adapter stuck in the phone. I took it to a local repair shop, and the repair guy showed me that the sim reader prongs had actually broken off of the phone.

According to the repair shop, it is impossible to fix in Canada, as the sim reader is attached to the system board and the whole thing will need to be replaced, which is incredibly costly even if the part was accessible here.

He's suggesting that he try and solder prongs back on, but thought the chances of it actually working were pretty slim.

Any ideas here guys? Am I selling this thing for parts?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,
    Thanks
    09-11-10 07:04 PM
    If what the repair guy says is true, then I'm afraid you are screwed. I've never seen where someone has replaced the SIM prongs.

That's a bummer.
    09-11-10 07:10 PM
    Repair guy was right, sadly. Sorry man...not cool.
    09-11-10 07:56 PM
    Hmm... If he's able to solder them with just a touch of solder and a steady hand, he could pull it off. I say it's worth a try, what have you go to loose?
    09-11-10 08:00 PM
    If the cost of the prongs isn't too bad and the tech's labor is also not too high it might be worth a try. If sucessful its cheaper than a new phone. I've seen a lot of repairs of burnt and broken traces and connectors on PC boards that were done by techs who had great soldering technIques that were almost as good as new when done. I'd at least give it a try. If it doesn't work at least you know you tried.

If not how about taking it apart and posting up some pics of the teardown. Might help those who would like to know how to disassemble a 9800. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-11-10 08:14 PM
    what happened to your warranty???
    09-11-10 08:44 PM
    what happened to your warranty???
    The warranty does not cover physical damage.
    09-11-10 10:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD