This is good to know as I have tmobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-12-10 09:18 AM
    All new blackberry devices work on UMA, its one of blackberries features. But you will be very limited on using it since you will NEED wifi
    08-12-10 09:23 AM
    Only way to find out is for somebody to stick a T-Mobile sim card in there and see.
    08-12-10 09:29 AM
    UMA is a very specific type of programming that is in the coding for T-Mobile "official releases" of software from what I understand. I don't believe you will be able to get a Torch to run UMA.
    08-12-10 09:35 AM
    This is good to know as I have tmobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It works on tmobile

Unlock Your BlackBerry Torch 9800 at the BerryReview Unlocking Store | BerryReview.com

Also this is from blackberry site

UMA/GAN

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), also referred to as GAN (Generic Access Network), is a technology that allows carriers to provide GSM�/GPRS/EDGE service over Wi-Fi� networks. If your carrier offers this service and you have subscribed, it allows a Wi-Fi capable BlackBerry� smartphone to make GSM phone calls over Wi-Fi networks.

If you have UMA support, whether your authorized Wi-Fi hotspot is in your living room or across the country, your friends, family and co-workers can reach you at the same number.

Once you�re outside the range of the Wi-Fi network, UMA support is designed to transition your call seamlessly to the cellular network, even when you�re in the middle of a call.

BlackBerry - Wifi PDA - Wi-Fi Enabled BlackBerry Smartphones - Wireless Networking
    08-12-10 09:39 AM
    To the op I hope you realize that using a att phone on the t-mobile network you will not be able to get 3G service only EDGE, a new 9800 without 3G is worthless IMHO
    08-12-10 09:44 AM
    To the op I hope you realize that using a att phone on the t-mobile network you will not be able to get 3G service only EDGE, a new 9800 without 3G is worthless IMHO
    Wifi > 3g

If he plans on using it strictly on UMA, he shouldn't have to to worry about Edge or 3G at all.
    08-12-10 09:46 AM
    EDGE is more than sufficient and if you have wifi most of the time, who cares?
    08-12-10 09:51 AM
    It works on tmobile

Unlock Your BlackBerry Torch 9800 at the BerryReview Unlocking Store | BerryReview.com

Also this is from blackberry site

UMA/GAN

UMA (Unlicensed Mobile Access), also referred to as GAN (Generic Access Network), is a technology that allows carriers to provide GSM�/GPRS/EDGE service over Wi-Fi� networks. If your carrier offers this service and you have subscribed, it allows a Wi-Fi capable BlackBerry� smartphone to make GSM phone calls over Wi-Fi networks.

If you have UMA support, whether your authorized Wi-Fi hotspot is in your living room or across the country, your friends, family and co-workers can reach you at the same number.

Once you�re outside the range of the Wi-Fi network, UMA support is designed to transition your call seamlessly to the cellular network, even when you�re in the middle of a call.

BlackBerry - Wifi PDA - Wi-Fi Enabled BlackBerry Smartphones - Wireless Networking
    These articles do not say anything about supporting UMA on T-Mobile. The carrier has to program the phone to work with their UMA. The UMA compatibility could be for one of the Canadian carriers. The first article even says "No word whether the Torch will support T-Mobile UMA calling" I don't think I've ever seen an unlocked AT&T BB with Wi-Fi support UMA calling with a T-Mo sim in it...
    08-12-10 09:51 AM
    Wifi > 3g

If he plans on using it strictly on UMA, he shouldn't have to to worry about Edge or 3G at all.
    should not have to worry about Edge only???? What about using the gps, pandora, gogle maps ??? have you ever tried those on Edge only??? There are way to many apps I use "on the go" away from wifi for me to justify having Edge only.......
    Last edited by rick9700; 08-12-10 at 10:00 AM.
    08-12-10 09:57 AM
    Rogers does support UMA, so here is hoping that it should just work when they release it...

I think the UMA service books will get sent over if you put in a Tmobile SIM, although there is only one way to know for sure
    08-12-10 10:01 AM
    should not have to worry about Edge only???? What about using the gps, pandora, gogle maps ??? have you ever tried those on Edge only??? There are way to many apps I use "on the go" away from wifi for me to justify having Edge only.......
    He is asking if the device can be used on UMA, obviously he will be near wifi when using the device. So 3g and Edge shouldn't make a difference, and yes, there is a huge difference in speed regarding 3g and edge. I wouldn't recommend using this phone on edge only, but I am sure he is aware of it already, he/she is only asking if its able to be used on UMA.
    08-12-10 10:03 AM
    hopefully someone can answer the UMA question soon... surely a T-Mo user will buy one and unlock it.... once that happens, will be easy to confirm...

having UMA working, would make having a 9800 on T-Mo with only EDGE be a bit more bearable... without UMA, there is little reason (IMO, for myself) to get a 9800 without T-Mo's 3G AWS band
    08-12-10 10:08 AM
    Rogers does support UMA, so here is hoping that it should just work when they release it...

I think the UMA service books will get sent over if you put in a Tmobile SIM, although there is only one way to know for sure
    I'm pretty sure Rogers' UMA bands are different than T-Mobile's. According to this thread a workaround may be possible but it'd take some tweaking.
    08-12-10 10:20 AM
    Well, I bought my 9800 yesterday from an AT&T store and unlocked it so I could use my T-Mobile service. This morning, I figured out how to get UMA working (thanks to the help of some other internet postings). There is a trick though. You need two certificates from T-Mobile, which will be in your certificate store if you use the device tranfer tool in desktop manager from a T-mo blackberry.

You need to get into the engineering screens and create a UMA profile. The site to unlock the engineering screens is here Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best
    Then follow the instructions hereUse any UMA enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | BlackBerryRocks.com. This page actually has a link to the above as well.

Mine works like a champ.
    08-13-10 10:49 AM
    good stuff
    Last edited by Genaro201; 08-14-10 at 07:53 PM.
    08-13-10 11:39 AM
    well, i bought my 9800 yesterday from an at&t store and unlocked it so i could use my t-mobile service. This morning, i figured out how to get uma working (thanks to the help of some other internet postings). There is a trick though. You need two certificates from t-mobile, which will be in your certificate store if you use the device tranfer tool in desktop manager from a t-mo blackberry.

You need to get into the engineering screens and create a uma profile. The site to unlock the engineering screens is here zibri's blog: Hidden things are usually the best
    then follow the instructions hereuse any uma enabled blackberry on t-mobile | blackberryrocks.com. This page actually has a link to the above as well.

Mine works like a champ.
    whooo hoo, good instructions by the way. My bb torch is working like a champ. I really had no idea what i was doing but im all set. Fully unlocked, uma support, all apps running fine.
    Last edited by Genaro201; 08-14-10 at 07:51 PM.
    08-13-10 11:51 AM
    I got this to work but had to use these certs instead

T-Mobile UMA Certificates - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    08-13-10 12:00 PM
    UMA works great on my 9800 with Rogers. Just needed to setup a UMA profile through the escreen.
    08-14-10 01:30 AM
    I got this to work but had to use these certs instead

T-Mobile UMA Certificates - Port3101.org : Your BES Connection
    yea these certs work, the one posted on that page in the bottom was the one i used.
    08-14-10 07:52 PM
    UMA works great on my 9800 with Rogers. Just needed to setup a UMA profile through the escreen.
    is there any extra i need to do to make UMA work on my 9800 i have followed the steps all the way and still nothing . please help if you have gone thorugh the steps and working for you.
    08-18-10 10:07 AM
    is there any extra i need to do to make UMA work on my 9800 i have followed the steps all the way and still nothing . please help if you have gone thorugh the steps and working for you.

1) Access the escreen
    2) go to "Mobile Network Engineering Screens" then " Utilities" then "Session Manager". Click your menu button and select "UMA Options". Click the menu again and select "New" if your screen is blank or "edit" if you already have a profile setup.
    3) Choose a "Display name" and an "Operator name" (can just use "Rogers" for both although it doesn't seem to matter).
    4)Uncheck "UNC address" and manually add "hbsc.uma.rogers.com"
    5)Uncheck "SEGW address" and add "segw.uma.rogers.com"
    6)Click on "SEGW certificate" and find "ca.rogers.com" (you can press "c" a few times until you find it).
    7)Then select your "UMA protocol version". I'm using "UMA v. 1.0.4" as the 3g one wasn't working very well for me. If anyone has some ideas on this, please update me.
    8) Exit and Save the new or edited UMA profile and back out of the escreen.
    9) Go to "Manage Connections" then "Mobile Network Options" and make sure "Wi Fi Preferred" is selected". Also ensure that you are connected to Wi Fi.

I should note here that from my experience, the UMA connection on 3g devices (both 9700 and 9800) have not been nearly as reliable as I found on the 8900. It takes an unreasonable amount of time to switch to UMA and on some occasions it won't switch to UMA at all. I do subscribe to Talkspot and have been testing it at 4 different locations to ensure it's not just a wifi network setup issue.
    08-18-10 01:57 PM
    I followed the instructions and have it working on mines with no problem, took all of a minute and a half to do it. Didn't even have to download certs or go to the eScreen website.

Take a look...

Attachment 70173
    08-18-10 10:08 PM
    CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!!! THE CERTS WONT COME UP ON MY PHONE AT ALL!! IT JUST SAYS 404 NOT FOUND AND I DONT KNOW HOW ELSE TO GET THEM CANN SOMEONE SHOW ME HOW THEY DOWNLOADED IT OR SOMETHING BECAUSE I AM SO LOST..i also have a torch and unlocked it and changed everything i only need the certs
    09-10-10 08:33 PM
    ooh i got it now i just want to know how to get the data plan
    09-11-10 10:21 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD