My wife and I are up for upgrades in the near future. She wants to move up to a smartphone, and I am currently a Bold 9000 owner. Our options right now are a Torch, Focus, or Captivate. We want to have the 200MB plan, and know that BB are great on data consumption. Here are my fears about the Torch:

1. It seams like the hardware is stuck in 2008. Same processing speed as my Bold 9000.

2. Screen size. Both Samsung phones offer a huge screen.

3. Many app developers seem to make apps for iPhone and Android. Blackberry seems to be an afterthought. WP7 may suffer from this as well.

4. Limited app memory. I hate constantly having to manage my apps on my Bold 9000.

What do you Torch owners love about your phone?
    Has any one had experience with the others to offer an opinion?

I am tied to AT&T, because of a sweet discount. Are there any other phones I should consider?
    12-05-10 09:30 PM
    I own the Torch and I can say that it definitely got a lot better after the first OS update. The Captivate has gotten some good press lately. It has the lowest SAR rating for one. I was going to get one but I did not like the fact it doesn't have a camera flash. My friend who owns one said he didn't like the email client as it didn't display the email headers such as To, CC, etc.. A software update could fix that.

I like the Samsung Focus and I think it will get better with each OS update.

I am not sure if this helps?

-Rich

My wife and I are up for upgrades in the near future. She wants to move up to a smartphone, and I am currently a Bold 9000 owner. Our options right now are a Torch, Focus, or Captivate. We want to have the 200MB plan, and know that BB are great on data consumption. Here are my fears about the Torch:

1. It seams like the hardware is stuck in 2008. Same processing speed as my Bold 9000.

3. Many app developers seem to make apps for iPhone and Android. Blackberry seems to be an afterthought. WP7 may suffer from this as well.

4. Limited app memory. I hate constantly having to manage my apps on my Bold 9000.

I am tied to AT&T, because of a sweet discount. Are there any other phones I should consider?
    12-05-10 10:48 PM
    the captivate is a very nice phone.
    12-05-10 11:10 PM
    4. 512 Megs of RAM is NOT limited. I haven't even run out, and I now have DOUBLE what I had on the Bold. Still lots more space left.

2. I've never cared for screen size. Small size for a phone is good. Larger for a Tablet, extra larger for Netbook, and Laptops (I don't see why I should get a 10" Tablet tho, when my damn 10 inch Netbook does a whole lot more)

1. I can say this. It will feel like the Bold 9000 in terms of speed, but faster. Only when I was insanely moving from point A to B did it hit me with the spindle. Other than that, its quite fast none the less, but that has more to do with the OS, not the hardware. (Be well aware... 500 MHZ Processor computer still exist and function fine )
    12-05-10 11:33 PM
    I, too, came from a Bold 9000. I'm also tied to AT&T because of the family plan (and I have no problem with that -- I've been very satisfied with AT&T's service for several years now). It was really tough deciding whether or not to leave the Bold's form factor when it was time to upgrade, because that was easily the best phone I had owned ... until the Torch. I wanted a bigger display than the Bold's and a better browser than what was available with OS 5, but I didn't want to give up the physical keyboard. So when the Torch came out, it sure looked like a winner on paper. Here's what I've experienced so far:

Processor has the same speed, but it's actually an upgraded processor from what's in the Bold series. Clock speed isn't everything. Yes, there is much quicker, higher-end hardware out there, but there's usually a trade-off in battery life. It all depends on what you'll be using your phone for. Besides phone calls, I use mine for email, some texting, and some browsing (ok, a good bit of browsing now that the browser is actually usable); the Torch performs perfectly well for me, and I usually get 18 hours of battery time before needing a charge.

Bigger screens and much higher resolutions, too. Personally, I don't do that much that I require a higher resolution than the Torch, so I'm happy with it overall. There are times that I wish it was a bit better, particularly when browsing, but not so much so that I wish I had gotten a different phone.

Remember, WP7 is even newer than OS6 and BB's App World. I can't say for sure how quickly or broadly WP7 will catch on with developers, although MS says they've got a bunch on board. Who knows. If it's a ridiculous selection of apps you're after, iPhone or Android are the way to go. But there's still a good bit of stuff out there for BB -- enough that's kept me much busier on my phone than I ever was on my Bold.

Not an issue with the Torch. In addition to what's delivered in the OS, I have 39 apps and 8 themes installed (including 4 mb worth of Final Fantasy), and I still have 270 mb available.

What I love about the Torch is its size and form factor. I find it more comfortable to hold and use than the iPhone or Captivate. As I noted earlier, what I really wanted beyond what the Bold provided was a larger display and better browser without losing the keyboard. The Torch delivers on all counts.

If you're considering the Captivate, is there any reason why you've left the iPhone off your list? If you don't require a physical keyboard, think you'd prefer a higher-res display, and you like the idea of an endless selection of apps, iPhone's display and processor are right up there with the best of 'em.
    12-06-10 12:31 AM

1. I think the hardware for the Torchs is pretty good. As a Torch owner I have nothing wrong with mine.

2. Torchs come with a pretty big screen too, full touch along with a full keyboard and on screen keyboard. Which I love about the phone.

3. Yeah, that is pretty true, but blackberries still have quite a bit of nice apps.

4. The most apps I've had on my phone was around 20. On my Curve 8330 I could have maybe 10 and it would start slowing down my phone like crazy (50mb total app space) torch has 300 or 400mb total app space.

I love absolutely everything about my torch. I honestly have not found a thing wrong with it. (Not like most peoples threads I've read, screen wobbliness, touch screen not being accurate, stuff like that hasn't happened to me. Hope this helped.
    12-06-10 06:32 AM
    I have both the Torch (business) and for my personal use, the Galaxy S (International Version of Captivate). I almost exclusively use the Torch for 90% of my communications activities.
    Galaxy S is a great phone, but its battery life is pathetic and its laggy. It even hangs answering phones. I mainly use it now for my ebooks and browsing the web and some games. That's about it.
    From a business and communications usage point of view, you just cannot beat a bb.
    I have even convinced my Sis (a die hard apple maniac) to swtich to BB.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-06-10 07:51 AM
    Well I have used phones ranging from all of the iphones (1, 3g, 3gs), windows mobile (not the new windows), and two android phones and a previous bb curve. I must say it all depends what you are looking for. I would say that if you want a keyboard and a reliable OS and messaging then go with the BB. If you want a phone with a big screen to watch movies or what not on and a touch screen only phone go with the iphone. The android is something where you must tweak a bit more than the iphone. So a person coming from all those phones says alot of the BB torch. Good luck
    12-06-10 05:42 PM
    ^ my thoughts exactly!
    12-06-10 06:20 PM
    ^ *high five*
    12-06-10 06:26 PM
    I am on my third white Torch within the last month (will be completing 30 days tomorrow!). I had to take the first two back due to faulty hardware - same problems which have been well documented and experienced by several users.

I then started looking for alternatives on ATT - I switched to ATT for the Torch.
    I did fair bit of reading on the web about Captivate and Focus. I played with them in the local ATT store. The touchscreen experience is amazing on both the phones and much smoother compared to Torch.

Focus - I think it is currently kinda held back due to OS limitations. You can search on the web and find a list of negatives - there is one good list on cnet in the user reviews section. Also, I didn't pick it since it doesn't have GTalk.
    Captivate - Lots of folks have complained about it being laggy (yes, it has 1 GHz processor). I didn't personally experience it on the store phone. It is yet to receive the latest Android update (Froyo a.k.a v2.2). Battery life and size of the phone were two reasons I didn't go for it. And oh - several people have mentioned that the phone automatically turns itself off to conserve power - some faulty algorithm. There is an app to prevent this from happening.

While both of them may score over the Torch when it comes to Specs, Torch overall gives me what I need (repeat, need) - I want to be able to make phone calls (my calls tend to be lengthy - both work & personal calls), send/receive e-mails, use GTalk, take decent pictures (video is not a major req) and play music. I don't want a phone which needs to be charged every few hours. Torch has the perfect form factor for me - not too large, not too small.
    Both Focus and Captivate are pretty well constructed phones but each of them have cons which scared me away. I guess I'll stick to the tried and tested BB for now. If & when it happens, I imagine going the Android way.

HTH
    12-06-10 06:31 PM
    I, too, came from a Bold 9000. I'm also tied to AT&T because of the family plan (and I have no problem with that -- I've been very satisfied with AT&T's service for several years now). It was really tough deciding whether or not to leave the Bold's form factor when it was time to upgrade, because that was easily the best phone I had owned ... until the Torch. I wanted a bigger display than the Bold's and a better browser than what was available with OS 5, but I didn't want to give up the physical keyboard. So when the Torch came out, it sure looked like a winner on paper. Here's what I've experienced so far:

Processor has the same speed, but it's actually an upgraded processor from what's in the Bold series. Clock speed isn't everything. Yes, there is much quicker, higher-end hardware out there, but there's usually a trade-off in battery life. It all depends on what you'll be using your phone for. Besides phone calls, I use mine for email, some texting, and some browsing (ok, a good bit of browsing now that the browser is actually usable); the Torch performs perfectly well for me, and I usually get 18 hours of battery time before needing a charge.

Bigger screens and much higher resolutions, too. Personally, I don't do that much that I require a higher resolution than the Torch, so I'm happy with it overall. There are times that I wish it was a bit better, particularly when browsing, but not so much so that I wish I had gotten a different phone.

Remember, WP7 is even newer than OS6 and BB's App World. I can't say for sure how quickly or broadly WP7 will catch on with developers, although MS says they've got a bunch on board. Who knows. If it's a ridiculous selection of apps you're after, iPhone or Android are the way to go. But there's still a good bit of stuff out there for BB -- enough that's kept me much busier on my phone than I ever was on my Bold.

Not an issue with the Torch. In addition to what's delivered in the OS, I have 39 apps and 8 themes installed (including 4 mb worth of Final Fantasy), and I still have 270 mb available.

What I love about the Torch is its size and form factor. I find it more comfortable to hold and use than the iPhone or Captivate. As I noted earlier, what I really wanted beyond what the Bold provided was a larger display and better browser without losing the keyboard. The Torch delivers on all counts.

If you're considering the Captivate, is there any reason why you've left the iPhone off your list? If you don't require a physical keyboard, think you'd prefer a higher-res display, and you like the idea of an endless selection of apps, iPhone's display and processor are right up there with the best of 'em.
    The biggest reason I am leaving the iPhone off my list is my sister in-law has one and has failed miserably trying to keep her data usage under 200MB. The second reason has more to do with the way Apple runs things. I hate how everything is tied to their software, and customization is not an option. Finally dropping $400 for two phones right now is not really an option. By the time January rolls around I should be able to pick up any of these phones for at most $99 a piece.

I enjoy my Blackberry, I just look at the Torch's specs, and it comes up short to most top of the line devices out there. I do love the way BB makes their devices data friendly, and with BBM I can drop my messaging plan to the 200 messages. There is just a lot to keep in mind now that the wife wants a smartphone.

One last thing about me personally. I actually do miss my Motorola Q. I had that phone hacked to bits, but it was set up the way I liked it. That is one of the reasons I like BB, I can make the phone mine without having to jailbreak it, or rooting it. The new WM7 can be homebrewed, which is much safer than rooting.
    Last edited by daspollak; 12-06-10 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Adding info
    12-06-10 08:29 PM
    Coming from an iPhone, I love the 9800 so much more! I've always loved BBs. I had an 8100 prior to owning the iPhone and I was sad to give up my 8100, even though it didn't stay charged very long.

I find the 9800 to have a great screen. I don't even use the touchscreen because I hate having fingerprints on my phone and I exclusively use the trackpad/physical keyboard for everything. I just love having that large screen for emails, texts, and surfing the web.

I can't imagine using all the storage space on my 9800. I do miss all the apps that were available for my iPhone, but it's so worth it, I just adore BBs.

Honestly, if it's not a BlackBerry or even an iPhone, it's not worth talking about. Android who? Captivate what? :P
    12-06-10 08:40 PM

by the way i just updated to .337 and OMG phone is awesome. So much smoother... yea torch just way up
    12-07-10 05:21 AM
    I had the Captivate for 1 week. Loved the options on the phone and the available apps were great. Perfomance and reliability were horrible!

1. It would shut down on it's own maybe once, maybe numerous times a day. Check droid forums many many have same problem.

2. Horrible horrible lag. Phone locked up and lagged everytime I opened browser. Would tap buttons numerous times and who knows where it would finally wind up ending.

3. Samsung and AT&T are not offering much support to thousands of upset owners. 2.2 Fryo release has been delayed and delayed. Who knows if that release will even fix all the problems. I couldn't wait and see.

4. Battery life was absolutley horrible. I turned off Wi FI when not in use and adjusted settings to save as much power as possible. The battery would never make it through the day without charging at lease once if not twice. I'm at best a moderate user. Torch lasts all day long, even with my wife and kids playing with it.

I sent it back as I cannot have a phone shutting down at any given time. Struggled between iphone and Torch then. Bought Torch and I have to say this is my first Blackberry and the only regret is I didn't get one long ago. It may not have a the bells and whistles like the Captivate but the performance on the Torch is amazing, I'm hooked. My wife who has an iphone now wants the Torch.

Best analogy I can give is if you want a toy, get the captivate that some day will be fully functional. If you want something that performs flawlessly, get the Torch.

Captivate will be a great phone but there are way to many bugs to work out. Read the Android forums and you'll see they have along ways to go.
    Last edited by chisjc; 12-07-10 at 07:49 AM.
    12-07-10 07:16 AM
    My last question about the Torch is this, how long before QNX is the standard operating system on BB phones? If it is soon, then will the Torch be able to handle it? I want a phone that can at least keep up for the next 18 months, that is my biggest fear with the Torch.
    12-07-10 11:18 AM
    If your worried about the device being "out of date". It was "out of date" before it was even launched, as is 99.9% of technology produced today. lol

RIM has never been on the forefront of technology.
    12-07-10 11:26 AM
    If your worried about the device being "out of date". It was "out of date" before it was even launched, as is 99.9% of technology produced today. lol

RIM has never been on the forefront of technology.
    I don't want the OS to change and not have a phone that can switch to the new format. This doesn't seem to be as big of a problem with RIM, but I would hate to buy the phone find out in August that QNX is coming on the Torch 2 in October. Right Storm 2 owners with OS6?
    12-07-10 11:43 AM
    Unfortunately no one can answer that question. No one except those that work at RIM can tell you when QNX will be available for hand held devices or if it ever will(more then likely it will be but no one knows for 100% sure).
    12-07-10 11:55 AM
    I want a phone that can at least keep up for the next 18 months, that is my biggest fear with the Torch.
    Please note that I understand that sometimes making a wise choice can be daunting when confronted with what seems a myriad of possibilities and opinion. But purchasing a phone is not a life and death situation. It shouldn't be this hard. If you are worried about it being out of date in 18 months then you will never buy any smartphone because new stuff is coming out all the time.

Find a phone that meets your needs and then get it. If something better comes out in 6 months or 18 monts, so what? As long as your present phone does what you need it to do, you do not HAVE to change. If you are on a contract like me, you can either upgrade for a fee early or just wait and upgrade later when that phone you thought was the next best thing to sliced bread turns out to be outdated because the next new thing has come out.

If you want a touchscreen AND a physical keyboard, then go with the Torch. If not, go with something else. It's your money and all our opinions are worth what you have paid for them.
    homer1475 likes this.
    12-07-10 01:12 PM
    I know a phone isn't a life or death decision, but I want something I'll enjoy for the next 18 months. I'm just trying to see why Torch owners love their phone so much. I like BB, but I also want to buy what will meet my future needs as well.
    12-07-10 01:55 PM
    The Torch is basically bug free now with the latest OS .246 and .337. You have the advantage of a fast browser, great messaging capabilities, ease of use and you are used to a blackberry. The form gives you the advantage of a physical keyboard and a virtual one. You get a touchscreen that is very responsive. For my needs the screen renders images well, the battery lasts all day with heavy use (browsing, messaging, calling) for personal and business usage.

The Torch is a flexible phone that does everything well and will stand you in good stead until your contract expires or until you desire the next greatest thing. All you have to do is decide and pull the trigger. REmember, you are not stuck if after 29 days you decide you do not like your purchase, just take it back and trade it for the other phone that you should have gotten. Or to put it like my late Dad used to say, "Crap or get off the pot."
    12-07-10 03:01 PM
    I agree with the Torch owner/users, I love this Torch of mine. Keep in mind do you want or need a Toy or a Tool. My Torch is a Tool that meets all my needs, looking at your needs is something you can only do, so have base your choices on your wants and requirements. Blackberry is a great product, as a Tool.
    12-07-10 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD