I've owned an iphone for three years now, wanting to switch to a blackberry.

UNTIL, I heard of the Torch, I was set on getting Bold or Curve -- non touch screen phone because Ive gotten sick of the touch screen and wanted a change.

BUT, The Torch obviously the keyboard that I wanted, AND larger screen, touch available if wanted but have a feeling it'd be used more frequently than the keyboard? Therfor, I'm a bit confused if I should go with the Torch, or wait until the Bold 9780 comes out.

I've heard the Torch is bulky, sluggish.
    I see the huge screen as a plus, but I see the SLIDE out keyboard a minus, as I was orginally trying to steer towards a phone with a keyboard, and no touch. (Not flip, or slide, or whatever)
    However, I see the Torch being a plus and less BORING than the new bold 9780?
    Regardless Ill have my iphone still handy as an ipod, but am still concerned if i get the Bold i'll miss the touch and the advantages? Like the web browser navigation?
    I also have a question, on the new 6.0 software does Facebook look any different? Or on the torch perhaps compared to the bold?
    Basically will the Slide keyboard/Touch be something that will annoy me and make me regret my decision........

Being an iphone user, i've no idea if i'll be disappointed with the basics of a bold 9780, or if the Torch would be more satisfying OR i'll regret going back to a touch screen! I have tried them out at the stores (not up and working however), and I just cannot decide. I need help!

Please send me your opinions / experiences on this subject is!
    Last edited by suchaos; 10-19-10 at 02:45 AM.
    10-19-10 02:30 AM
    I went from an iphone 3g to a bold 9700 then to the Torch - and I'm Very happy with the transition. What I missed about the touchscreen when I went to the bold was the browser navigation, the GPS and general map intuition and the facebook interface. I love the fact that the Torch has the option for the slide out keyboard, and I only use it when writing a lengthy email - otherwise I use the onscreen (I'm hoping this will increase the life and reduce the wobble some other users have noticed). Facebook looks and works great, and I think that coming from an iphone, you will be impressed by the messaging capability and customization, but disappointed in the browser/maps/facebook of a bold.

In summary: I liked many features of my iphone, i liked many features of my bold...but I Love my Torch!
    10-19-10 03:09 AM
    The Torch is not bulky albeit it is heavier than the Bold. It has a very solid feel much like the i3Gs. I have owned a Bold and like the physical keyboard better because it has a more solid feel. It, in conjunction with the touchscreen and trackpad make the messaging and web browsing more enjoyable. My wife has a i3Gs and wishes she had a physical keyboard although she like other aspects better. The virtual keyboard on the Torch is fairly decent and I am getting better on it especially in landscape.

Facebook works very well and we have had no issues with it. The integration of multiple social media sites in one place on the Torch is very convenient.

The new webkit browser is very smooth and fast especially with the new OS .246. It is not as fast as the i4 but almost as fast as the i3Gs. The menus for device customization and browsing are very intuitive and easy to use. The Torch screen resolution though not the supposedly sharp retinal display of the i4 is crisp and clear. The secure messaging and multi-tasking with a decent browser were more critical to meeting my needs than a warpspeed browser and processor. My wife's i3s can't make an entire day on a charge although the i4 has a better battery, having great battery life in addition to other previously mentioned pros is very impotant to me. Being an iPhone user, you may miss the touchscreen more than you know. I would have a somewhat difficult time transitioning back to a non-touchscreen device.

In the end, it comes down to you testing the Torch in person for a long time in the store and then deciding if it meets your needs.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-10 04:46 AM
    Regarding the touchscreen, having come straight from the Storm (a non-standard variant of a touch) to the Torch, I can say that I was intuitively reaching to touch the screen no matter if it were meant to be touched or not. I've played around with the Bolds and Curves but still I reach for the screen. I think the web experience on a phone is far superior with touchscreen capabilities.

As for being annoyed at the slide out keyboard, I can only say that I was afraid of the same thing, and while I type much faster on the virtual keyboard than I do the physical, it's getting better and I like the sturdy feeling that the physical one has. Sometimes it's just nice... Oh, and about 20 programmable speed dials helps too

10-19-10 05:37 AM
    Why did you make 2 identical posts? Please delete one

10-19-10 06:49 AM
    Actually the other was on the 9780 forum - I guess he's looking for opinions from both sides? lol
    10-19-10 07:06 AM
    Torch bulky and sluggish? Definitely not having those issues. The torch is almost the same size as the Tour--which I can't imagine is very far off from the size of the Bold. I like having the option of the touch screen although I use the physical keyboard the most.

10-19-10 10:15 AM
    I came from a 9700 to a Torch. They are the same size, though the Torch is heavier. You definitely do not feel like you are carrying a weight around though. I loved the Bold, very good phone. But when I switched, I felt like I kept everything that I loved about my Bold and just added all the cool new features of the Torch. Admittedly, the Torch was slow when I first got it but as soon as I upgraded from .141 to .225, it was all gravy from there. Definitely go with the 9800, you wont regret it.
    10-19-10 12:07 PM
    Thanks OP for this post!!

I have been debating my upgrade- I have the option of a 9700, or, for $50 more I can get a Torch. I've already owned a 9700 and hated it because it kept freezing, and all 4 other 9700 owners I know hate their phones for the same reason, but after browsing this forum and hearing all the issues of wobbles and software issues, I worried that getting a 1st generation Torch was too risky and I should "deal" with the 9700 freezing issue (currently using a 9000 because I hated the 9700 so much I downgraded!)

OP, just remember that this forum is more complaints than compliments; most posts will be about troubleshooting or complaints about issues; the happy people generally don't shout from the rooftops :-)

I think I'll end up taking the risk/plunge and get the Torch. I have until Thursday/Friday to decide
    10-19-10 02:04 PM
    Would love the torch...but its 750 usd here where I am from....that's just too much forr a phone for me. We don't have subsidized phones from the carriers.

10-19-10 02:19 PM
    I've owned an iphone for three years now, wanting to switch to a blackberry.

UNTIL, I heard of the Torch, I was set on getting Bold or Curve -- non touch screen phone because Ive gotten sick of the touch screen and wanted a change.

BUT, The Torch obviously the keyboard that I wanted, AND larger screen, touch available if wanted but have a feeling it'd be used more frequently than the keyboard? Therfor, I'm a bit confused if I should go with the Torch, or wait until the Bold 9780 comes out.

I've heard the Torch is bulky, sluggish.
    I see the huge screen as a plus, but I see the SLIDE out keyboard a minus, as I was orginally trying to steer towards a phone with a keyboard, and no touch. (Not flip, or slide, or whatever)
    However, I see the Torch being a plus and less BORING than the new bold 9780?
    Regardless Ill have my iphone still handy as an ipod, but am still concerned if i get the Bold i'll miss the touch and the advantages? Like the web browser navigation?
    I also have a question, on the new 6.0 software does Facebook look any different? Or on the torch perhaps compared to the bold?
    Basically will the Slide keyboard/Touch be something that will annoy me and make me regret my decision........

Being an iphone user, i've no idea if i'll be disappointed with the basics of a bold 9780, or if the Torch would be more satisfying OR i'll regret going back to a touch screen! I have tried them out at the stores (not up and working however), and I just cannot decide. I need help!

Please send me your opinions / experiences on this subject is!
    First off, I've had numerous non-blackberry smartphones - including the iPhone and I am enjoying my 9800. As stated, the original BOLD is slightly lighter than the 9700. As for sluggish? That comment varies among owners and other 9800s. IMO, you probably should wait a few weeks until the 9780 is released and compare it to the 9800 or just get the 9800 and return it if you don't like it. Anyway, good luck.
    10-19-10 03:12 PM
    torch processor definately faster than rotten apple4 by far best bb to date! had them all.
    10-19-10 03:16 PM
    torch processor definately faster than rotten apple4 by far best bb to date! had them all.
    While I agree the Torch is a better phone for my needs your statement about the Torch processor being faster than the iphone 4 is misleading to say the least.
    10-20-10 02:13 AM
    I would def. recommend the Torch! I was a little concerned about all the problems people were getting on here but all my problems were solved within a few days... For example...

1. I hated the phone lock and its sensitivity and my phone light didnt want to turn off... So I downloaded the free patternlock app and that solved both of my problems.

2. My battery life was horrible! so i downloaded the .246 update and turned off the 3G (I live in a horrible area with no service ) and now my battery is fixed and my phone is all around better!

So my problems were easy to fix and I love the phone!
    10-20-10 02:30 AM
    Please Help

Hello, I have never had a blackberry before and want one this week but dont know to get the the Bold 9700 or the new torch ?? They are both two year contracts so i want to get the right phone, is the torch worth the extra money every month ??

Please HELP !!
    10-20-10 02:31 AM
    I have owned a 9700 but I got the Torch on launch day and will never go back. The 9700 has OS 5 and still may get OS 6 which is on the Torch.

The newest OS 6 version .246 will make the experience more enjoyable. The menu are more organized and intuitive. This makes customization settings easier. The webkit browser is much better than the native 9700 browser. The ability to pinch to zoom, double tap, and swipe as well as the tabbed browsing on the Torch make the (owsing great.

The touchscreen, trackpad and physical keyboard allow more effective device and browser navigation. The integration of social media sites allows you to see FB,RSS, and Twitter in the same place. The keyboard is more solid on the Torch. No clackiness like the 9700. The camera is better as is the video camera options.

I could go on but the best way is for you to do in-store testing. My 9700 has found a home with my MIL who had an 8310. If you are willing to stick with it, it is a good RIM device to cut your teeth on.

10-20-10 06:41 AM
    I went from the bb bold 9000 to the torch and I have to say weight wise it makes me feel right @ home. Altho @ thirst I was having some issues with this phone the touch screen's orientation was way off and the touch screen would freeze @ time's. After upgrading the Os twice the phone is running pretty Smooth so far (I upgraded the Os. Last night) seeing as I had my 9000 for almost 2 almost 3 years. Upgrading the Os. To fix the issues with the phone is almost second nature to me. But preformance wise I think the Torch is a pretty solid phone asuming that u have the patients to find a fixes for the phone's issues. The experiance on this phone, not only the UI but also bb6 in genearl. The 9000 was in 2007 the Torch is to 2010, revolutionary!

10-20-10 10:48 AM
    I started my smartphone affair with a Nokia N95 8gb. Now I know that some would not consider that a smartphone since it doesn't have a QWERTY keyboard, but I do since I was able to get e-mails and surf the net.

I moved to BlackBerry when I returned to the US from Iraq because my Nokia was not allowed to get on 3G with AT&T. However, I bought an unlocked Storm and used it on AT&T...once again, no 3G. I loved the touchscreen capability, but that was it. The slow browser and weird typing lost me.

I upgraded to a Bold 9700 and did find myself trying to touch the screen while browsing on os5. The browsing was sluggish and annoying without being able to tab browse and having the 'page to big' error. Once I upgraded to os6, I was back to loving my Bold, except the lack of memory.

When the Torch was announced, I thought that I would be the first in line for it. Fortunately, I played with it at an AT&T store first. Found out that it is almost the same size as my Bold, except it is much thicker due to the slide out. It feels like it weighs twice as much, which you'll get use to after awhile.

I decided to stick with the 9700 and just upgrade to the 9780 which has more memory. Unfortunately, my 9700's usb port *broke* and it was going to cost more to repair than it would for me to upgrade. Had my heart set on the 9780, but of course the store didn't have any. They did have the 9700 and the 9800. Well, I wanted more memory so......I went with the Torch. (Plus, it only cost my $50).

Still not completely used to the on screen keyboard, still making a bunch of mistakes and the auto correct can be kinda annoying as well. I find that the virtual keyboard is much easier to use in landscape mode (duh). I use the physical keyboard much more than any of the virtual ones, and the truth of the matter is I like the 9700's keyboard more than the 9800's. I think the 9800's keyboard feels cheaper and less responsive than the 9700.

Web browsing with the bigger screen on the 9800 is far superior than the 9700. Texting and short e-mails are okay on the virtual/physical keyboard of the 9800, the 9700 was so much better for all text input regardless the size of the message.

Other than my dislike of the keyboards, the only other fault I have with the 9800 is when I'm putting it into the case. The top buttons (Mute & Lock) are highly sensitive. I usually have Pandora/Slacker/iHeartRadio paused in the background and whenever I put the phone away...the music starts playing. This is annoying to me since I work in a government building and I'm usually listening to explicit comedy. LOL.
    01-26-11 02:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD