I am considering either the torch or the bold? I bought a touch and i am within my trial period. I find the keys are too small and the tying is slow vs. my mold old blackberry (one with a track wheel on the side!) I only have a few days to make a final decison. Are the bold keys any bigger and will tying on the bold be any easier or faster. I primarily use this for a for a lot of e mail.

Thank you.
    09-19-10 01:34 PM
    Having owned the 9700, I like the Torch keyboard better. In conjunction with the touchscreen and trackpad, it makes the Torch more enjoyable to use. I like the keyboard even more than my 9000. The keyboard size between the Torch and 9700 are roughly similar but the Torch keyboard feels more solid.
    09-19-10 01:39 PM
    Thank you very much for your insights
    09-19-10 01:46 PM
    Go into a store and try both the Torch and the 9700. Since you are the one using the device, only you can tell which device is best for you. There are plenty of other reasons besides the keyboard to choose the Torch.
    09-19-10 01:52 PM
    My friend has the 9700, and the keyboard feels a little more ergonomic only because its base is thicker. Since the torch slides out, the keyboard is a little thinner and feels a little smaller in the hands. I can type about the same speed on either keyboard though, which probably means the keys are roughly the same size and dimension.
    09-19-10 02:30 PM
    I have found the Torch keyboard to be less clacky sounding than the 9700. No chance of going back since I got my Torch on launch day in the US and my MIL has my 9700.
    09-19-10 02:34 PM
    Aren't there any technical specs on which keys are bigger or smaller?

Also, if it feels "thinner", then couldn't that sense impede typing speed/effectiveness?
    09-19-10 02:49 PM
    At the end of the day, it matters only to the OP which device keyboard is best. For the rest of us, it is a matter of opinion and efficiency/accuracy come from practice while it is nice to know the specs.
    09-19-10 02:52 PM
    Aren't there any technical specs on which keys are bigger or smaller?

Also, if it feels "thinner", then couldn't that sense impede typing speed/effectiveness?
    I'm sure there are tech specs somewhere; but it's been noted since a BB slider was first announced that the keyboard would be slightly smaller than the Bold's. That's about as scientific (and accurate) an analysis as I've been able to dig up.

Coming from a Bold 9000, I'm finding the smaller keys and skinnier grip surface is taking a little getting used to -- though not nearly as much getting used to as a virtual keyboard. I'm definitely getting more comfortable with it by the day. I never was a speed-texter on the Bold, but I figure I'm pretty close to my old typing speed after just a few days with the Torch.
    09-19-10 07:09 PM
    I can't say between 9800 and the 9700 that I prefer either. Both are nice. Neither can compare to the Cadillac keyboard on the 9000 though...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-19-10 07:12 PM
    No offense but a snowball would have a better chance than the 9000 keyboard of coming back. Nostalgic longings are nice but keyboards are not getting larger unless there is landscape slider.
    09-19-10 08:24 PM
    Coming from the 9000, I find the 9800 kb to be a lot tighter fit (specially when I have to enter numbers using the ALT key combo) - I have some pretty thick thumbs LOL... I think the border/lip around the kb is also a bit annoying, but overall, after a little bit of use, it's useable.
    09-19-10 10:07 PM
    this torch keyboard seems a bit small to me but after a week or two i'm pretty used to it. I actually prefer it now. But I think I like the bold keyboard better if I were given a choice without being used to either one.
    09-19-10 10:11 PM
    No offense but a snowball would have a better chance than the 9000 keyboard of coming back. Nostalgic longings are nice but keyboards are not getting larger unless there is landscape slider.
    That's probably the only thing I wish BB had done differently. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the Torch as it is; but a landscape keyboard (with a dedicated number row!!) would've made it just about perfect.
    09-19-10 10:15 PM
    Bold is far easier to type on period. Torch keypad is far too small. The keypad will kill the torch. Big Mistake.
    09-19-10 10:39 PM
    Bold is far easier to type on period. Torch keypad is far too small. The keypad will kill the torch. Big Mistake.
    Bold 9000 or 9700?

Agreed, the 9000 will likely never be surpassed as keyboards go but as long as the 9700 and Torch are the same (or real close) I think it'll be just fine.
    09-19-10 11:00 PM
    While I prefer my 9000's keyboard, I'm not having a hard time adapting to the 9800's keyboard. I compared them side by side and it looks like there's a difference of about 2mm in the width of them and about 2mm in the height. It's not that big of a difference.
    09-20-10 12:25 AM
    To each his own. Nostalga is great. The OS, touchscreen and trackpad definitely make it worth the switch. No matter what the size of the keyboard, it just takes practice. Having had a 8310, it was not hard adapting to the 9700 from my 9000 and eventually the Torch.

09-20-10 06:44 AM
    Coming from the 9000, I find the 9800 kb to be a lot tighter fit (specially when I have to enter numbers using the ALT key combo) - I have some pretty thick thumbs LOL... I think the border/lip around the kb is also a bit annoying, but overall, after a little bit of use, it's useable.
    I agree with this post 100%. This is exactly what I was planning to write when I read the OP. Without the rim around the keyboard, I think that the ALT/Number keys would be a lot easier to use. Although it will never happen, I would love to see the ALT and number keys to be on opposite sides of the keyboard. That would make them easier to use as well.
    09-20-10 11:17 AM
    I am considering either the torch or the bold? I bought a touch and i am within my trial period. I find the keys are too small and the tying is slow vs. my mold old blackberry (one with a track wheel on the side!) I only have a few days to make a final decison. Are the bold keys any bigger and will tying on the bold be any easier or faster. I primarily use this for a for a lot of e mail.

Thank you.
    I finally upgraded to a Torch from my Bold 9000 after I got the word that it wouldn't receive the OS6 update. There is definitely a noticeable difference in they keyboard, but I must say that I haven't had too much trouble adapting thus far. I love options, and I like the fact that I can use the touch screen, trackpad (vast improvement vs my 9000's trackball), and the physical keyboard to input/navigate through my device. Excluding the hardware advangtages (IMOHO), the sweetest improvement is the new OS6 features--a majority of which, are best utilized using the trackpad/touch screen combo. So in closing-->GO WITH THE TORCH!!! I don't think you'll be disappointed (especially coming from, judging from your description, an 8700 model

09-20-10 02:27 PM
    I'm coming to the Torch after having a Bold for a year and a half, and I love the Torch keyboard. I have no problems typing on it whatsoever, and I'm a very fast typer.
    09-20-10 06:22 PM
    I have found that I generally get used to any keyboard I use. I have even managed to become pretty good with a T9 keyboard when I had to. Most people adjust in time. I used to think that the 8330 keyboard was the best, until I got my 9000. Then I got the 9700 and thought that was the best. Iphone, Evo, etc. I have had the same feeling about them all because I got used to using them.

09-20-10 07:51 PM
    9700 & 9800 keyboards are the identical size if you ask me. 9700 is easier to type on for me bc of the thickness of the device (pretty thin on the 9800)

My favorite kb is the 8700 closely followed by the 9000.
    09-20-10 07:54 PM
    I love options, and I like the fact that I can use the touch screen, trackpad (vast improvement vs my 9000's trackball), and the physical keyboard to input/navigate through my device.
    Oh yeah ... all that and the bigger display are the reasons I couldn't wait to get my hands on one. I was really afraid I'd miss my 9000, but I'm just loving this Torch more and more every day.
    09-20-10 07:54 PM
    I personally likeed typing on the Bold better. I was much faster and it was much more quiet. The Torch keys are very loud and clicky. The Bold base being thicker helps a lot too. It was weird at first on the Torch but you get used to it quickly. Both are easy, but the Bold is easiER. Just my opinion.

09-20-10 08:43 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD