I've had my Torch for a week now. Coming from a 9000, I was never really that keen on the whole touchscreen thing, but the additional app memory was the real deal sealer with this phone and I am really beginning to warm up to the whole thing. I do have a question about the touchscreen.

Many times when I handle the device - pick it up, pull it from the holster, etc. - my thumb hits the top dock causing the configuration menu to drop. It's a bit annoying actually. I looked all through the options menu to see if there were any settings I could change to keep this from happening.

What I had in mind was a setting that allows you to freeze either the top dock, the calendar dock or the lower (applications) dock from touch activation but still allowing track pad activation.

Does something like this exist? Did I miss it in my searching? Anyone have other tips to avoid this?

Thanks.
    09-17-10 10:31 AM
    There's no way to keep the touchscreen from being a touchscreen, that would defeat the purpose. If it's really that much of a problem you may want to return it and wait for the 9780.
    09-17-10 11:22 AM
    If you use the KeyBoard Lock (in my signature), it will lock your entire screen until YOU unlock it. It comes default as *+talk to unlock, which means sliding the keyboard. However, you can change that. I have made mine the BB button, so I slide it out of my holster, tap the BB button and I'm ready to go. Before I put it back in the holster, I hold down the BB button for 1.5 seconds to bring up the running apps screen, click the lock icon and it's locked and ready to go in the holster without activating the screen. It has a trial version, which doesn't allow you to adjust the time setting, if you want to try it.
    09-17-10 02:30 PM
    Ya know, a little "swipe to unlock" feature like other devices would have been really smart.
    09-17-10 02:47 PM
    There's no way to keep the touchscreen from being a touchscreen, that would defeat the purpose. If it's really that much of a problem you may want to return it and wait for the 9780.
    Not a real problem Noah - not enough to return it anyway. Just wondering. I wasn't looking to disable the entire screen, just the top portion (but still access it with the touch pad) so I can handle the phone without menu items flying out at me. Coming from a 9000, there were tons of themes that involved things like sliding docks, disappearing docks, etc... I was thinking if there was a setting or third party theme to customize the screen, that's all. Like any new piece of hardware, you learn to work around the minor idiosyncracies. And so I will.

Regards!
    Pete
    09-17-10 04:36 PM
    If you use the KeyBoard Lock (in my signature), it will lock your entire screen until YOU unlock it. It comes default as *+talk to unlock, which means sliding the keyboard. However, you can change that. I have made mine the BB button, so I slide it out of my holster, tap the BB button and I'm ready to go. Before I put it back in the holster, I hold down the BB button for 1.5 seconds to bring up the running apps screen, click the lock icon and it's locked and ready to go in the holster without activating the screen. It has a trial version, which doesn't allow you to adjust the time setting, if you want to try it.
    Thaks KahneFan! I will definitely try this out.
    09-17-10 04:37 PM
    at this time there are no themes or anything that will allow you to do what you want to... sorry... either use one of the apps mentioned above (i like pattern lock personally, great locking app)... the 9780 will be out soon so if you want like others said you can return the 9800 and wait for that... or wait some more till devcon is over and the them RIM will release the new theme builder and new themes will come pouring out
    09-18-10 09:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD