When I woke up this morning, my Torch was acting up. It had a slower response time than I had ever experienced (it took around a minute just to deactivate my alarm and close the clock application). The battery was also draining at an incredibly fast rate, and the phone was completely dead within 5 hours. I did not have any third party apps running and only sent a few text messages and had three quick phone calls (less than 5 minutes each).

What could be causing this sudden change in response time and battery life? Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?
    01-21-11 12:04 PM
    Do a battery pull. If it does it again, theres a bigger problem. If not, it was just a fluke.
    justagggurl likes this.
    01-21-11 12:06 PM
    Have you downloaded any new apps in the last few days? What OS are you running? I would just make sure that an app is not causing this as I have had the same thing happen but found out that it was an app that I downloaded that was the issue. If none of this is the case I would wipe the device and reinstall the OS and see if this helps.
    justagggurl likes this.
    01-21-11 12:08 PM
    I installed quickpull and it does a battery pull every night. I also did a manual battery pull, but that didn't change anything.

I have not installed any new apps recently nor have I updated any of my existing apps. I am running OS 6, as it was installed on my Torch (I haven't updated the OS since I purchased the phone).

Sirhil, would you mind if I asked what app caused the issue for you? Also, where can I find instructions on how to wipe the device and reinstall the OS?

Thank you guys so much for your help!!!
    01-21-11 12:20 PM
    How is your signal? Has it been bad recently? The biggest cause of battery drain is a weak signal. If the device is searching to signal when signal is weak or nonexistent, the battery will drain.

You can try disabling 3G and using 2G (EDGE) only if 3G signal is weak. The battery should last longer with 2G only.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-11 12:24 PM
    The apps that was causing the battery drain for me was the delta app and the pic dial app. After wiping my phone and adding one app at a time it was fixed. I did not put those apps back on my device.

search for JL cmder or bbsak. booth of these will wipe your device. I use Jl to wipe and bbsak to back up and restore my third party apps
    01-21-11 12:54 PM
    set your screen brightness to 80% (by default it's 100%) 80 % is way enough, I have mine set at 50% and I still think it's too bright.
    01-21-11 02:00 PM
    How is your signal? Has it been bad recently? The biggest cause of battery drain is a weak signal. If the device is searching to signal when signal is weak or nonexistent, the battery will drain.

You can try disabling 3G and using 2G (EDGE) only if 3G signal is weak. The battery should last longer with 2G only.
    Really? Now I think about it my 9700 and my 9800 drains the battery faster at the house. It edge there. I'm gonna try the switching to 2g at the house and see how this works. My 9700 was my 1st 3g phone and I just noticed if I worked it good around the house it drained fast. I just chalked it up that I "play" more on these 2 phones more. Thanks for the tip.

01-21-11 04:17 PM
    Could be a defective battery? Even with a lot of those features enabled you should get at least a day on a charge with semi-heavy use. Is your phone under warranty?
    01-21-11 04:23 PM
    are you part of any BBM groups? if someone either joined or left the group that will cause a horrendous battery drain for a few hours.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-21-11 11:39 PM
    i had the same issue for like 2 days now...i upgraded my os with the new patch and it seems to be fine now...before i did it it took about 20 minutes for my phone to reboot after battery pull and restart or reboot. i was draining my battery in like 3 hours using just about no apps. so i backed up wiped and patched everything and it seem to be working great again.
    01-22-11 02:04 AM
    are you part of any BBM groups? if someone either joined or left the group that will cause a horrendous battery drain for a few hours.
    Tell me about it! I am in 5 groups, and people are always joining after upgrading OSes. Luckily the members usually warn when they are upgrading so I can throw my device on the charger.
    01-22-11 02:13 AM
    I love BBM but I won't be in any groups for that reason.

01-22-11 05:04 AM
    Tell me about it! I am in 5 groups, and people are always joining after upgrading OSes. Luckily the members usually warn when they are upgrading so I can throw my device on the charger.
    yea im part of one group with 11 members, all close friends of mine. i usually give them a heads up when i can. i think the groups needing to rejoin/reload is one of the biggest f'ups with BBM. it should be able to load just as fast as everything else. also, even when backing up and restoring.....it ALWAYS gets messed up and doesnt carry over properly when swapping devices. i always need to rejoin the group. i think they really need to address that. BBM groups takes the longest to backup when doing normal backup in DM. which i think is funny since nothing ever gets restored correctly....including previous pics.
    01-22-11 05:29 AM
    I installed quickpull and it does a battery pull every night. I also did a manual battery pull, but that didn't change anything.

I have not installed any new apps recently nor have I updated any of my existing apps. I am running OS 6, as it was installed on my Torch (I haven't updated the OS since I purchased the phone).
    For starters, get rid of Quickpull, it's pointless on a Torch. Then update your OS to the latest (.337).
    01-22-11 09:13 AM
    set your screen brightness to 80% (by default it's 100%) 80 % is way enough, I have mine set at 50% and I still think it's too bright.
    Setting it at 0 is still bright enough.
    01-22-11 09:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD