I bought the Torch 26 days ago, paid full retail. Took it back to AT&T today for my refund. I liked some things about OS 6, it is a very neat 'new thing' to learn and enjoy, I liked the camera (when it worked), I liked the touch screen for some things like scrolling web pages and pictures. I loved the MASSIVE app memory.

I didn't like the feel of the phone in my hands. It was very thin on the keyboard section. Felt like half a blackberry down there. I really noticed how thin and uncomfortable the Torch is typing in 'blackberry prayer' position. Its very tedious, especially if you use a hard case like ARG or Otterbox. They just get in the way of that top row. And the keyboard is so cheesy and cheap feeling. Felt like a kids toy. The biggest difference was when I swapped my sim back into my 9000 today for the first time since I bought the Torch. Man, my BOLD 9000 felt big before, but try using a Torch for almost a month and switching back...wow! Feels so chubby. I love it. I can't get used to that darn 9700 style keyboard, no matter how hard I try or no matter how many cool other things about the Torch there are....I missed my 9000 and here I sit, yet again, back to my 9000. I did not like the way I constantly had to reboot the Torch. At least 3 times a day due to sound failures or sounds occurring but no notification icons. OS 6 has a long way to go. Torch, t'was fun while you lasted, but Good riddance. I will just continue to await a true 9000 form factor blackberry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-08-10 05:45 PM
    Enjoy your 9K. To each their own.

09-08-10 05:50 PM
    You're going to be waiting until 2000never for a new 9000 form factor phone...
    09-08-10 05:52 PM
    Torch, t'was fun while you lasted, but Good riddance. I will just continue to await a true 9000 form factor blackberry.

The 9000 is in a league of its own my friend. IMO still the best BB to date.
    09-08-10 05:53 PM
    i hope i get used to my 9800...i just got it in the mail today...good thing i didnt pay retail for this phone...
    09-08-10 05:57 PM
    Torch, t'was fun while you lasted, but Good riddance.
    09-08-10 06:07 PM
    I bought the Torch 26 days ago, paid full retail. Took it back to AT&T today for my refund. I liked some things about OS 6, it is a very neat 'new thing' to learn and enjoy, I liked the camera (when it worked), I liked the touch screen for some things like scrolling web pages and pictures. I loved the MASSIVE app memory.

I didn't like the feel of the phone in my hands. It was very thin on the keyboard section. Felt like half a blackberry down there. I really noticed how thin and uncomfortable the Torch is typing in 'blackberry prayer' position. Its very tedious, especially if you use a hard case like ARG or Otterbox. They just get in the way of that top row. And the keyboard is so cheesy and cheap feeling. Felt like a kids toy. The biggest difference was when I swapped my sim back into my 9000 today for the first time since I bought the Torch. Man, my BOLD 9000 felt big before, but try using a Torch for almost a month and switching back...wow! Feels so chubby. I love it. I can't get used to that darn 9700 style keyboard, no matter how hard I try or no matter how many cool other things about the Torch there are....I missed my 9000 and here I sit, yet again, back to my 9000. I did not like the way I constantly had to reboot the Torch. At least 3 times a day due to sound failures or sounds occurring but no notification icons. OS 6 has a long way to go. Torch, t'was fun while you lasted, but Good riddance. I will just continue to await a true 9000 form factor blackberry.

Not once has my camera "not worked".

As a 9000 user for the last two years, the Torch feels great in my hands. I'm even loving the keyboard even if it is a little more clacky and less sturdy feeling - it gets the job done quite well and I don't miss my 9000...though I recognize it is the king of keyboards (and speakers and perfect size etc.).

I have never had to reboot the Torch for any reason other than required reboots for OS installs and App installs/uninstalls.

I'm sorry you have such a bad impression of it - but it sounds like you didn't really give it a fair chance or try seriously to make it work - like upgrading the OS or at least wipe and reinstalling...

...but if you just plain don't like the way it feels and hate the keyboard there's nothing you can do...but the other issues you mentioned are non-issues for me and probably 99% of other Torch users.

Oh and upgrading from .141 to .214 = awesome.
    09-08-10 06:23 PM
    I'm sorry you have such a bad impression of it - but it sounds like you didn't really give it a fair chance or try seriously to make it work - like upgrading the OS or at least wipe and reinstalling...
    As a consumer, giving it a fair chance is buying it and trying it for 30 days. Not tinkering with the device to "seriously try to make it work". That is actually expected by most people when they purchase something.

If the person is tech savvy, the things you mentioned are more likely to happen. The majority of people I know with smartphones don't know how to wipe the OS and reload it. They are even confused when an OTA upgrade pops up...
    09-08-10 06:36 PM
    As a consumer, giving it a fair chance is buying it and trying it for 30 days. Not tinkering with the device to "seriously try to make it work". That is actually expected by most people when they purchase something.

If the person is tech savvy, the things you mentioned are more likely to happen. The majority of people I know with smartphones don't know how to wipe the OS and reload it. They are even confused when an OTA upgrade pops up...
    He/she has over 1000 posts here - if wiping and fixing those problems is too much to ask...then I have to assume there wasn't a whole lot of effort.

I don't expect my parents to jailbreak their iPhones but I do expect regulars on iPhone forums to at least try it if it's needed.
    09-08-10 07:51 PM
    LOL I used my 9000 for a few hours yesterday after having the Torch for a few weeks. It felt and acted like an antique, I could never go back.
    09-08-10 09:38 PM
    I have been using the torch since day one of its official release ( I was the first one in my town to actually buy one) and to this day still miss my BB 9000 keyboard but its not enough for me to take it back.

I was going to take it back but since the release of 6.0.0.214 I have been extremely happy with the improvements so I have decided to keep it. Maybe with the release of Torch 2 it will have the Bold 9000 size keyboard... a man can dream!
    09-08-10 10:05 PM

Before I had my torch I also had the 9000. It was absolutely perfect in every way. It met my expectations for what a phone from that year should have been. The 9000 was great, but now that I've used the Torch I can't say that I can go back to it and be completely happy.

I never had a problem with the Torch's keyboard. I picked up on it rather quickly and this is with the Otterbox case too. It felt different at first, but I got used to it. As far as your constant reboots it sounds like you might have had a bad pick from the store you got it at.

If my Torch ever fails for some reason -knocks on wood- then I'll gladly go back to my 9000...until I pick up another Torch.

I respect your decision though, because I still think my 9000 is gonna outlive my Torch.
    09-08-10 10:25 PM
    He/she has over 1000 posts here - if wiping and fixing those problems is too much to ask...then I have to assume there wasn't a whole lot of effort.

I don't expect my parents to jailbreak their iPhones but I do expect regulars on iPhone forums to at least try it if it's needed.
    I see wat your saying, but post count doesn't equal experience. There are some people who joined 2 months ago that almost have 1000 posts.

Jailbreaking isn't needed. These devices are suppose to work out of the box. Without us trying to hassle with it. Unless it says beta on it (like the Storm should of had a beta label on it), we are paying for a finished product. If I wasn't tech savvy, the last thing I would want to do is look on a forum how to fix this stuff and potentially screw something up, or call tech support and wait on hold forever, to potentially speak to a rep that I can't even understand lol.

I do get what you are saying though.
    09-08-10 10:36 PM
    Lmaooooooooo

Just to splain further. I am a gadget junky. Have wiped, have JL_CMDR'd my phones, installed leaked and hybrid OS's, shrunk OS's, replaced trackballs, keyboards, taken apart my old BB's and played operation with them....only they never made it back alive.
    I don't want to take away the greatness of the Torch. Like I said, aint for me. Also, I found myself using the same features as I did my 9000. Email, instant messaging, internet and talking on the phone, which I do a lot. And that's another thing I didn't mention about the Torch that REALLY pissed me off:
    I talk on the phone for hours and hours a day, you can not keep a full charge on that phone. It has a heat sensor in it ( yeah I know, so does the 9000) and when the phone gets too warm, the charger will not work. That was my 2nd Torch, the first one did the same thing.

And man did I laugh when I saw that baby. Doesn't he look like Jack Lemon a little?

Last edited by Mamaluka; 09-09-10 at 01:26 AM.
    09-09-10 01:23 AM
    I was really upset with MY Torch as well until 214. Its much better now.
    I'm anxiously awaiting the 9780 though.
    I think the 9700 was the best BB to date.

09-09-10 06:59 AM
    Did anyone laugh at the 'MASSIVE APP MEMORY' comment?

Or was it just me?
    09-09-10 07:07 AM
    Aaaawww, that's too bad it didn't work well for you! I am still in love with mine and have had no problems. Getting used to the ridge at the bottom of the keyboard took me a few minuutes, but I've got used to it. And my only gripe, battery life, is improving after I've tinkered with setttings and notifications.
    The 9000 was too big for me, my favourite personal BBerry was my littile burgundy 8310. As far as work, I've fallen in love with the 9650.

09-09-10 07:19 AM
    I had a 9000 for a year before I got my Torch. I haven't touched the 9000 since switching nor do I plan to. The Torch is so much faster, nicer and much more efficient that it would be useless to do so.

@lee, "massive" app memory may seem like an overstatement, but coming from the 9000, having 10 times more available app memory is a massive improvement.

09-09-10 07:30 AM
    Did anyone laugh at the 'MASSIVE APP MEMORY' comment?

Or was it just me?
    The OP is coming from a 9000 which has 128MB memory - of which you have maybe 50MB free if you optimize it and load no apps. With all my apps I was down to about 30-40MB free. Thankfully the later 5.0 builds had very little memory leak and after a few weeks I'd be down to about 20MB free and need to reboot to free up memory.

Now with the Torch I have several more apps and am still at 320MB. There is no memory leak either. If it were to leak at the same rate, I would probably have almost a year before I had to reboot it to free up memory...

Perhaps it should have been "relatively massive app memory".

I still don't think there's any way a BB user can use up the 300+MB free - not with the apps available to us right now.
    09-09-10 07:37 AM
    You know my grandfather likes his Model T too. Have fun driving your Vespa while the rest of earth zips by in a Porsche.

09-09-10 07:59 AM
    Update: Well, I went away on business this weekend. Today would have been 30 days to the day that I bought my torch. So my wife offered to return it to AT&T for me while I was away. I got home today and I will admit, I really missed my Torch. Sure, my 9000 is comfort and nice n big...but that darn Torch kept creeping into my head. The web browsing, the touch/zoom/ pinch....the fact that I didn't even wanna bother loading .214 to at least give it a shot.

So I get settled for a night relaxing. Fiddling with my 9000 on the web, when my wife comes home. She says she's sorry, but she didn't make it in time to the AT&T store to return my phone. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I said, "oh, its ok honey......um, WHERE IS IT????, I mean, is it here?" She pulls it out of her purse in all its boxed up glory in which I repacked it in.
    I'm posting from it now. Lol.
    Okay, so I recant my Torch Shmorch. I loaded .214 and most of those annoying bugs are gone. Tomorrow will be the test. Can I keep this bad boy with a full charge. Or will that dastardly heat sensor prevent the phone from taking a charge. We shall see if my Porsche can fly like my Vespa always did...or will it just be a great looking car, not worth diddley squat, parked in my dresser drawer next to my Motorola Razr

09-12-10 06:29 PM
    Keep us updated please. I'm using the iPhone 4 thinking seriously about going back to bb. I like the iPhone, but I am in love with bb.
    09-12-10 06:40 PM
    Update: Well, I went away on business this weekend. Today would have been 30 days to the day that I bought my torch. So my wife offered to return it to AT&T for me while I was away. I got home today and I will admit, I really missed my Torch. Sure, my 9000 is comfort and nice n big...but that darn Torch kept creeping into my head. The web browsing, the touch/zoom/ pinch....the fact that I didn't even wanna bother loading .214 to at least give it a shot.

So I get settled for a night relaxing. Fiddling with my 9000 on the web, when my wife comes home. She says she's sorry, but she didn't make it in time to the AT&T store to return my phone. !!!!!!!!!!!!! I said, "oh, its ok honey......um, WHERE IS IT????, I mean, is it here?" She pulls it out of her purse in all its boxed up glory in which I repacked it in.
    I'm posting from it now. Lol.
    Okay, so I recant my Torch Shmorch. I loaded .214 and most of those annoying bugs are gone. Tomorrow will be the test. Can I keep this bad boy with a full charge. Or will that dastardly heat sensor prevent the phone from taking a charge. We shall see if my Porsche can fly like my Vespa always did...or will it just be a great looking car, not worth diddley squat, parked in my dresser drawer next to my Motorola Razr

Haha! This is karma at it's best! I used my 9700 for a few days after I returned the Torch....teeny tiny screen compared to the Torch - so I got another Torch! And no worries with the Razr. I still have it and a Motorola V400!
    09-12-10 06:42 PM
    I can't believe how everyone jumped his ***. I think my Storm2 and 9700 are both far better than this phone. Does that make me a bad person that deserves berating? Granted in the OP's cases he kept the phone but not everyone will. When OS6 drops for the 9700 I doubt I'll touch this thing too often. It's all personal preference.

09-12-10 06:54 PM
    I can't believe how everyone jumped his ***. I think my Storm2 and 9700 are both far better than this phone. Does that make me a bad person that deserves berating? Granted in the OP's cases he kept the phone but not everyone will. When OS6 drops for the 9700 I doubt I'll touch this thing too often. It's all personal preference.

I don't think OS6 will perform very well on the 9700 - lack of memory resources number one, but I guess we'll see.
    09-12-10 06:59 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD